News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

Re: Open Bar: RECOMMENDABLE

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, December 31, 2013, 04:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left

Quote from: The Suu on January 28, 2014, 07:33:33 PM
Some of the guys in my SCA household are trying to plan a Norse feast, in which they are talking about eating hearty meats and drinking mead.

So I showed them hakarl, and said that in order to be a real Viking, you have to eat REAL Viking food.

...Suddenly, they changed their mind.
Had never heard of that...so I found this blog entry:
http://www.meemalee.com/2010/12/hakarl-rotten-shark-worst-thing-i-have.html
(So moved am I by the noxious fumes - like ramming bleach right up your nostrils - I break my self-imposed holiday Twitter ban that night to tweet that it resembles "a tramp's sock soaked in urine").

The hilarious thing is how (in contrast to svið), hakarl appears to be the most innocuous thing in the world - little creamy-white cubes stuck on toothpicks - like 70s party food, if that party was held in Hell.
Eyes watering with pain, I decide the easiest way to get rid of the unholy fug is to just eat the damned stuff. Holding my nose, I poke a cube of shark in my mouth and chew.

UUhhhhhHHooorraAAAAAAUhrrrRRRRrughhhauuKAAAarrrrUUUuull.

Hákarl is in fact a good approximation of the sound your throat makes as it contorts and constricts in a desperate attempt to regurgitate the chunks of fetid fish.
She also writes about eating another icelandic delicacy...svið:
http://www.meemalee.com/2010/06/satans-face-on-plate-iceland.html

Edited to add: I doubt "stinky tofu" even compares, so there's no vegan equivalents, methinks.   Though I'm willing to give that particular one a whirl.
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

tyrannosaurus vex

I complain about my job a lot, but it's nice that there is someone whose job is to receive diagrams I have scribbled out in sloppy pen and turn them into proper Visio diagrams for which I get credit.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Suu

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 28, 2014, 09:26:08 PM
Yet, curiously, fermented fish is a delicious seasoning for many foods! And of course, we eat many other "rotten" foods, like pickles, sauerkraut, cheese, yogurt, and so on.

And it has been for many years, actually. Fermented fish sauces are usually divine, but hakarl is supposedly extremely vile.

Quote from: Random anger problem on January 28, 2014, 10:45:05 PM

Edited to add: I doubt "stinky tofu" even compares, so there's no vegan equivalents, methinks.   Though I'm willing to give that particular one a whirl.

I've done the sheep's head. It's scarier looking than it really is.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Suu on January 28, 2014, 11:56:08 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 28, 2014, 09:26:08 PM
Yet, curiously, fermented fish is a delicious seasoning for many foods! And of course, we eat many other "rotten" foods, like pickles, sauerkraut, cheese, yogurt, and so on.

And it has been for many years, actually. Fermented fish sauces are usually divine, but hakarl is supposedly extremely vile.

Even getting past the idea of faces and eyeballs, it looks like it would be mostly gristle and connective tissue crap. Like a pigfoot.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Left

I can't find the county psych clinic phone number; the Abilify isn't doing anything for me. 
I put in a call to the number I do have; they'll get back to me with the number I actually need.
The main hospital doesn't have the outpatient psych clinic number.

The thought of going to the outpatient psych ER has crossed my mind. 
I don't know that that would even help though; and it might cost me my job if I get locked up...I can't see that convo going well.
"Hi, boss, I can't make it to work.  I'm locked up and they took my shoelaces."

Maybe I'll just go spend money I don't have instead and go eat something deep-fat fried and dripping in MSG-laden sauce, this might be good for a slight lift...Or have a pint of almond milk based ice cream or something...

Apparently, the only  atypical antipsychotic that showed any anti-depressant effect in meta-analysis was risperdal anyway. 
http://www.thementalelf.net/mental-health-conditions/depression/atypical-antipsychotics-dont-improve-quality-of-life-in-treatment-resistant-depression/
If the doc wants to stick to adding AP's I will tell him I want to try risperdal instead
...I think I want to try a tricyclic though. They're more powerful than the SSRI's.  They have more side-effects though,but then so does risperdal.

Left

Back when I ate meat, I tried tongue tacos...the meat tasted very much like a chewy roast beef, and was very good.
  I imagine sheep's head tastes similar.

Suu

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on January 29, 2014, 12:14:02 AM

Even getting past the idea of faces and eyeballs, it looks like it would be mostly gristle and connective tissue crap. Like a pigfoot.

The cheeks and the tongue are incredibly tender. I did not eat the tongue (I couldn't do it...) but my friend who did said that it was amazing.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lol: I didn't think that the antiquity of fermented fish was under question, given that it exists in some form or other in every culture that had access to fish, ever.

I can't help suspecting that familiarity and acclimatization play a large role in how people react to the stuff. Here in the NW, it was common until not too long ago to ferment hooligan in barrels and skim the oil off to use as a sort of fishy butter. Outsiders thought it was disgusting.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Tongue tacos are DELICIOUS.

And cheek is the best.

Still haven't managed to eat an eyeball though. Too gristly.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm getting pretty fucking burned out on stoichiometry problems.

I'm determined to finish the motherfuckers today, though. So that I can move on to some enthalpy.

Suu

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 29, 2014, 01:11:46 AM

:lol: I didn't think that the antiquity of fermented fish was under question, given that it exists in some form or other in every culture that had access to fish, ever.

I can't help suspecting that familiarity and acclimatization play a large role in how people react to the stuff. Here in the NW, it was common until not too long ago to ferment hooligan in barrels and skim the oil off to use as a sort of fishy butter. Outsiders thought it was disgusting.

It's a food source, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get the calories you need to survive.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Sometimes, I get a tiny pang of pleasure in my clitoris when I complete a set of stoichiometry problems.

It's unnerving.

Suu

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 29, 2014, 01:38:09 AM
Sometimes, I get a tiny pang of pleasure in my clitoris when I complete a set of stoichiometry problems.

It's unnerving.

You get off on chemistry.  :lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 28, 2014, 04:08:54 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 28, 2014, 04:04:01 AM
From what I have observed, the barriers to graduating are, in order:

1.  A family (this is what got me).
2.  Money.
3.  Beer.

For me, it was money, ignorance, men, and having kids, in that order.

Started out with no money, and my mom withdrew support.
Due to lack of parental support I was ignorant of how to navigate the system (and at 20, the year my mom cut me off, couldn't qualify for financial aid anyway).
Got married to an ass who had no interest in me going to school.
Got divorced, and LIKE AN IDIOT, promptly remarried to another ass who had no interest in me going to school.
Had kids.

For me, it was:
1) Not being ready/not knowing what I wanted to do
2) Being prompted by a girlfriend to go to school, each time, which predictably increased my chances of dropping out once the relationship ended
3) Laziness in registering for FAFSA (and therefore money) and for classes (in reverse chronological order).
4) Beer
5) Not being frustrated enough with my lack of progress in life to give me the momentum to keep going regardless of the previous 4. I really had to get to the point where I was like, "Fuck all of this shit, including dropping out only to go back to school again" to make it happen.

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 28, 2014, 04:16:01 AM
Quote from: Net on January 28, 2014, 04:13:51 AM
Quote from: Vladimir Poutine ⊂(◉‿◉)つ on January 28, 2014, 03:56:27 AM
I still haven't managed to graduate after 6 years because I totally suck. Also art school made me hate art. I think I will graduate next spring tho finally...I hope

I didn't graduate either after being in school for 5-6 years.

I hate art schools now, but not art. In fact, I hate them so much that I refused to take the 3 remaining classes required to graduate from their crony-corporatist shit-show of a school. I'm going to cash those credits in on a worthwhile degree.

When I'm able to go back to school it's going to be in the hard sciences....possibly math. Pure fucking math. Shit where it's undeniable you've got the RIGHT answer and can fucking PROVE it. No more of this design bullshit that no one gives a shit about unless they're a rich, overeducated pisshole.

SUU WAS RIGHT, GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN, IT'S A FUCKIN SCAM!

Math is beautiful and perfect. I was lured toward math for a while, but I decided in the end that I actually want the messy, complicated, ugly realities of biology and human behavior.

But math. Math! So lovely. So perfect. So CLEAN.

I'm, so far at least, better at math than I am at science, probably for this exact reason. I can get frustrated with it sometimes but I think that's probably due to the fact that I either do it at night when I'm tired or do it during the days on the weekend for several hours at a time and burn out. I'm getting better at recognizing the latter.

I like how the shit actually makes sense, for the most part, to me, as opposed to high school when I thought it the most bewildering thing in the world. I just couldn't get it.

I got real fidgety in Gen Bio II today. I might have to reconsider going to work for the 5 hours with additional commute in between classes. Like, had to stand up and sit down like a Catholic fidgety. Fortunately I prefer sitting at the back of the class.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Suu

Quote from: Net on January 28, 2014, 04:13:51 AM
Quote from: Vladimir Poutine ⊂(◉‿◉)つ on January 28, 2014, 03:56:27 AM
I still haven't managed to graduate after 6 years because I totally suck. Also art school made me hate art. I think I will graduate next spring tho finally...I hope

I didn't graduate either after being in school for 5-6 years.

I hate art schools now, but not art. In fact, I hate them so much that I refused to take the 3 remaining classes required to graduate from their crony-corporatist shit-show of a school. I'm going to cash those credits in on a worthwhile degree.

When I'm able to go back to school it's going to be in the hard sciences....possibly math. Pure fucking math. Shit where it's undeniable you've got the RIGHT answer and can fucking PROVE it. No more of this design bullshit that no one gives a shit about unless they're a rich, overeducated pisshole.

SUU WAS RIGHT, GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN, IT'S A FUCKIN SCAM!

Yeeeeup.

I owe more money for that shitty design degree than I do for my history degree. It took me 13 fucking years to finish my undergrad studies, because I decided it was a better option to be a graphic designer instead. I know you didn't want to believe me a few years ago when I told you it was a bad idea, but I'm glad you've realized it. It's just not worth it. Not when companies are hiring high schoolers for minimum wage to do design work.