News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

SO, THIS IS A THING. Holist, you around?

Started by Doktor Howl, October 17, 2014, 07:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

Lol, this topic got me pondering homeopathy again. While this doesn't validate the "woo" culture around things like homeopathy, if you cut out the "dilute it till you can't measure the substance anymore" shtick, some applications might trigger the olfactory cells in our skin (which cause subconscious chemical-cascade changes in the body):

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140708092555.htm
Skin cells possess an olfactory receptor for sandalwood scent, as researchers at the Ruhr-Universität Bochum have discovered. Their data indicate that the cell proliferation increases and wound healing improves if those receptors are activated. This mechanism constitutes a possible starting point for new drugs and cosmetics. The team headed by Dr Daniela Busse and Prof Dr Dr Dr med habil Hanns Hatt from the Department for Cellphysiology published their report in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology.

:regret:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Telarus on October 21, 2014, 01:29:16 AM
Lol, this topic got me pondering homeopathy again. While this doesn't validate the "woo" culture around things like homeopathy, if you cut out the "dilute it till you can't measure the substance anymore" shtick, some applications might trigger the olfactory cells in our skin (which cause subconscious chemical-cascade changes in the body):

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140708092555.htm
Skin cells possess an olfactory receptor for sandalwood scent, as researchers at the Ruhr-Universität Bochum have discovered. Their data indicate that the cell proliferation increases and wound healing improves if those receptors are activated. This mechanism constitutes a possible starting point for new drugs and cosmetics. The team headed by Dr Daniela Busse and Prof Dr Dr Dr med habil Hanns Hatt from the Department for Cellphysiology published their report in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology.

I posted a thread about that effect the other day, and no, not at homeopathic concentrations.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If you are cutting out the "dilute until there's nothing measurable left", you are no longer talking about homeopathy, you are talking about chemical effects.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Well, at least those practicing homeopathy are drinking enough water.

Maybe everyone was just dehydrated, you know?

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Reginald Ret

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 21, 2014, 12:01:31 PM
Well, at least those practicing homeopathy are drinking enough water.

Maybe everyone was just dehydrated, you know?
It is not homeopathic treatment that is so damaging.
It is the rejection of non-homeopathic treatment.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

LMNO