News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

q: longevity

Started by Horab Fibslager, July 25, 2004, 08:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rupert Giles

Quote from: HotsumaI did it with a snapper, not a herring.

You lie!

~~~~Closed~~~~

nope, usually I use a trout. but today I decided to mix things up again.

Rupert Giles

Quote from: Hotsumanope, usually I use a trout. but today I decided to mix things up again.

Variety is the spice of life.

Schweinepriester G.

Spice is the spice of live.
"...it would needlessly exclude IMPS implementations that
  may utilize sub-atomic monkeys and/or multiple universes;"
RFC 2795, section 4 (Infinite-TAG)

Schweinepriester G.

Quote from: Guido Finucci
Quote from: XoderThere has never, in the entire history of mankind, been a war that ended with fewer people on this planet than before it started.

For real? Even the world wars? WWII lost in excess of 20 million people -- were there really that many born those five or so years?

IIRC the only significant dent in overalll population growth in recorded history was caused by the black death in the 14th century in europe.

World population went from 2 billion in 1930 to 3 billion in 1960.
Treating that as linear (whhich it is not) we get 33 million per year...

~~~~Closed~~~~

MedeoPlusPlus

1. e4             e5
2. Bc4           Bc5
3. Qf3           Ne7
4. Qxf7++

namu

Longevity's truly the answer to overpopulation. As paradoxical as it sounds, the longer people live, the lower the demographical growth. Of all countries with low life expectancy, only ONE has a low progression of population, that is China, and the cause is not a natural one. And there is no country with a long life expectancy which has a high population growth. In fact some of them even have negative growth, where immigration is not sufficient to compensate.

Bring on immortality, I say.
Namu the Maxwell Angel
--
United we stand, divided we run free at last !

gnimbley

Quote from: namuLongevity's truly the answer to overpopulation. As paradoxical as it sounds, the longer people live, the lower the demographical growth. Of all countries with low life expectancy, only ONE has a low progression of population, that is China, and the cause is not a natural one. And there is no country with a long life expectancy which has a high population growth. In fact some of them even have negative growth, where immigration is not sufficient to compensate.

Bring on immortality, I say.

I believe it also correlates to wealth/poverty. Having lots of kids can also be seen as an economic strategy. So if you have immortal poor people, it might just mean we go down the tubes even faster.

namu

Then make immortality expensive. Voil?†, problem solved.
Namu the Maxwell Angel
--
United we stand, divided we run free at last !

Malaul

normal life is expensive enough
I dont think I can afford immortality!!

doom
Coito ergo sum
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock

Schweinepriester G.

Quote from: Malaulnormal life is expensive enough
I dont think I can afford immortality!!

doom

Don't worry immoratlity means you have forever to pay back debts you took on to pay for immortality or we just slaughter money-lenders every 200 years or so.

Malaul

hmmmmmmm
this idea may have merit

but what if the money lenders are immortal as well?
Coito ergo sum
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock

Rupert Giles

Anyone familiar with the storyline accompanying the EarthSiege and StarSiege games about the Immortal Brotherhood?

Malaul

no, but we are about to I bet...

::wink::
Coito ergo sum