News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

He wasn't who he thought he was.

Started by Abbess Jade, June 29, 2010, 12:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fujikoma

FUCK those guys... But seriously, that's how they do shit. They have a specific set of rules, and they feel like they can't bend those rules for anyone... I used to work for various retail stores, much the same goes on there, but, your highest priority is customer service, and you do your best, or you don't have a job long... Freaking banks and the DMV and such, well, they're not about customer service so much, so, they don't have to keep the idea that "the customer is always right" in their heads all day, so, they provide bad service...

Unfortunately, I think what I just said may be true... The box of chocolates may melt that cold bitch's frozen heart, though.

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 29, 2010, 02:18:29 AM
The systems, byzantine as they are, are designed TO work, and it takes a special kind of asshole to "inflict the rules" on you.

Unfortunately, that type of person usually becomes a bureaucrat.

This.  Bureaucracy in and of itself is not that terrible.  Frustrating at times, but designed to get a job done.  The problem is it invites the sort of person who loves office politics, information hoarding, departmental pissing matches, secrecy, unaccontability and random displays of power, and such people normally thrive in these institutions, corporate or government.

Fujikoma

I'd like to interject some spastic gibberish, but I'm almost paralyzed by what I just read....

Bureaucracy sucks. I don't like dealing with it, but usually I can subvert it with the strength of my personality and the fact that people still take me for a child.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Jenne on June 29, 2010, 03:17:43 AM
I think bureaucracy creates assholes, and vice versa...

Well, there was this bit of psych research (I think I posted it in TFYS) that showed that "power corrupts".

Of course, the power also attracts the corrupt, but the research showed that subjects primed to a position of power scored significantly lower at morality tests.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nast on June 29, 2010, 04:53:31 AM
Quote from: Jenne on June 29, 2010, 02:14:50 AM
Ah, the perimenipausal female bureaucrat.  She is a grand impediment to getting business taken care of, at all levels she works in.  :(  Next time, bring in some chocolate, hand it over first thing.  

...I'm not kidding.

Oh my goodness, that one just might work!

Actually, I did use this technique once on an old lady working at the CS student administration. I knew she didn't like me for some reason. And she was a bureaucrat to the core, being very proud of studying part-time law school at age 55, she applied her knowledge like a true pedantic bureaucrat.

This resulted, btw, in the ironic situation that the Computer Science department remained the only department where the online test-scores were not enough to prove you passed a module, you needed a physical piece of paper ("with the same legal power as a construction permit!" :roll:), which you could only get at her office.

Not because they feared the CS students would hack the scores [though to be fair, the software is full of security holes], but because of this one bureaucratic PITA.

Anyway, when I had to collect all those pieces of paper (some years late, but because they were so legal and all, she could of course not throw them away), I did indeed bring a bar of chocolate, and I can tell you, IT REALLY HELPS. She was actually sort of nice while we sorted it out.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Fujikoma

... People (over the age of 22) with low morality scores should be given an instant vacation to happy land (undefined territory which will feature, mainly, assholes)... There, they can be a star in the new, hit reality show "watch assholes fight to the death". I'd watch it.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Fujikoma on June 29, 2010, 10:49:33 AM
... People (over the age of 22) with low morality scores should be given an instant vacation to happy land (undefined territory which will feature, mainly, assholes)... There, they can be a star in the new, hit reality show "watch assholes fight to the death". I'd watch it.

By watching it, you'd qualify as a participant.
Molon Lube

Dysfunctional Cunt

Low morality scores?  I don't think you understand what that word means. 

Then you get into how to test it, which would have to be some type of standardized test, and you do not want me started on those.

Technically most people would term a prositute or stripper with "low morality".  Does their choice of profession make them assholes?

:argh!:

LMNO

If I say, "yes," can I still see them naked?

Jenne

Quote from: Triple Zero on June 29, 2010, 10:46:49 AM
Ah, the perimenipausal female bureaucrat.  She is a grand impediment to getting business taken care of, at all levels she works in.  :(  Next time, bring in some chocolate, hand it over first thing. 

...I'm not kidding.

Actually, I did use this technique once on an old lady working at the CS student administration. I knew she didn't like me for some reason. And she was a bureaucrat to the core, being very proud of studying part-time law school at age 55, she applied her knowledge like a true pedantic bureaucrat.

This resulted, btw, in the ironic situation that the Computer Science department remained the only department where the online test-scores were not enough to prove you passed a module, you needed a physical piece of paper ("with the same legal power as a construction permit!" :roll:), which you could only get at her office.

Not because they feared the CS students would hack the scores [though to be fair, the software is full of security holes], but because of this one bureaucratic PITA.

Anyway, when I had to collect all those pieces of paper (some years late, but because they were so legal and all, she could of course not throw them away), I did indeed bring a bar of chocolate, and I can tell you, IT REALLY HELPS. She was actually sort of nice while we sorted it out.

I'm tellin' ya--chocolate can save the world a la female in SOOOO many ways.

...still not kidding.

Jenne

Um...topic unrelated?

Abbess Jade

Oh my GOD. FUCK MY LIFE.

AND THE WHOLE ICING ON THE CAKE. After my check is cashed, the original bank that we went to begging practically on our hands and knees to take our check because they knew us, they knew who we were, we were frequent customers and needed this money--like, now...they call us back, tell her. "O hai, we thought about it and decided that we'll open your old account."

We fucking have our check in hostage with my brother's bank, when we can now go to our own and get 'special treatment'.

I think that this is punishment for our greed and our major reliance on the check. That we didn't think carefully about we wanted to do, and only did what was the quickest way at the time.

I want to drop on my knees and scream, "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?  :argh!:

Jenne

:(  So...just tell her the check was given to your brother to cash, I guess?  I dunno.  Banks are shitty to deal with as a rule, and you guys certainly have had your fair share of the shit-end of the stick on this one...

Abbess Jade

Ah, the perimenipausal female bureaucrat.  She is a grand impediment to getting business taken care of, at all levels she works in.  :(  Next time, bring in some chocolate, hand it over first thing.  

...I'm not kidding.

Anyway, Jade, my condolences regarding the bureaucratic clusterfuck. And Lord knows; hell, I know that the DMV is one of the worst in that department. Shall we burn it down together?

Please. *0*

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Khara on June 29, 2010, 03:34:23 PM

Low morality scores?  I don't think you understand what that word means. 

Then you get into how to test it, which would have to be some type of standardized test, and you do not want me started on those.

Technically most people would term a prositute or stripper with "low morality".  Does their choice of profession make them assholes?

:argh!:

I get to assign the morality scores.

I will consider advice from LMNO and Kai.
Molon Lube