News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Steve Jobs is dead! A sad day for hipster douchebags everywhere!

Started by Prelate Diogenes Shandor, October 06, 2011, 03:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Steve Jobs is dead. A sad day for hipster douchebags everywhere (apparently also for people so old that they can still remember back to when Steve Jobs and Apple Computers actually had real innovative ideas), but not for me :|, I can't stand Apple, and couldn't care less that Mephistopheles finally decided to collect on his end of their bargain.

Anybody else have any opinions?

EDIT: on rereading this while not so sleep-deprived I suppose this does seem to be a bit unduly harsh towards Steve Jobs. Just because his death will hurt the hated :argh!: Apple corporation doesn't change the fact that by the standards of CEOs of major corporations he was a relatively decent guy.

EDIT: Also, just found out that apparently the Westboro Baptist Church doesn't like him, so I guess that's another thing in his favor.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm not normally a sensitive flower, but I think this is a real douchebag thread. Fuck off.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Penumbral

I don't like Apple either. In fact I have boycotted them my whole life, but Steve Jobs himself isn't the embodiment of evil. I am not going to celibate his death. I was happy when Bin Laden was finny killed, but all the people getting exited over an entrepreneur's demise has me for the first time actually feeling bad for the guy.

I'm not a sensitive guy. I'll laugh at a good joke about the guy, but being happy that someone is dead is a little too callous for me.

Salty

I don't care about the guy one way or another really.

But the least you could have done was try to be funny about it. But you didn't. You didn't try.

Also, for better or worse, many of those products have changed the way people use and think about computers. All kinds of people use those things, so many people. Not just hipster douchebags
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't have any particular warm feelings for Steve Jobs, nor do I have any problems with using Apple products (what's to hate? It's not like they're made from the bones of starving infants. Just don't buy them) but the man didn't perpetuate evil, he was a successful entrepreneur who contributed tremendously to the growth of technology, and FFS he died of cancer at 56. I mean, you want to dance on his grave for some reason, but my suggestion is that if you're that big of a prick you should have the courtesy to keep it to yourself because most people with, you know, normal non-sociopathic empathy will be put off by it. There are a lot of truly evil people in the world, and the "I'm so jaded I'm gonna celebrate the death of a guy who was part of a historically major innovative team in the tech world" hipster douchedom you just pulled here is really, in my Discordia, just loathsome.

Freeky

Why are you even bothering with this guy?  I mean, other than the cheap yuks.  He's pretty much demonstrated that he's a non-entity, as far as I am concerned, and pretty much the worst kind of guy who I don't actively loathe (which is a different beast from hate).

He's a nothing, empty space behind keyboard somewhere.  Who cares?

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Alty on October 06, 2011, 04:32:45 AM
I don't care about the guy one way or another really.

But the least you could have done was try to be funny about it. But you didn't. You didn't try.

Also, for better or worse, many of those products have changed the way people use and think about computers. All kinds of people use those things, so many people. Not just hipster douchebags

His company's innovations are all very good, but lately they've been moving away from innovation and towards cheap tacky overhyped trendiness (and cheap knockoffs of the Blackberry misrepresented as novel and innovative products); and their early groundbreaking innovations are cheapened by the fact that they never improve upon them (for example, Macintosh computers were still shipping with one-button mice by default as recently as 2005). That said, I suppose that it is grossly unfair of me to lay all of the faults of Apple Computers entirely on Steve Jobs.

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Science me, babby on October 06, 2011, 04:49:40 AM
Why are you even bothering with this guy?  I mean, other than the cheap yuks.  He's pretty much demonstrated that he's a non-entity, as far as I am concerned, and pretty much the worst kind of guy who I don't actively loathe (which is a different beast from hate).

Yeah, I think I'm with you. Especially after reading his last post. Who the fuck cares how many mouse buttons Macs were shipping with six years ago? This dude's a chump.

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on October 06, 2011, 05:09:13 AM
Quote from: Science me, babby on October 06, 2011, 04:49:40 AM

Yeah, I think I'm with you. Especially after reading his last post. Who the fuck cares how many mouse buttons Macs were shipping with six years ago? This dude's a chump.

Seriously, this guy's posts are like solid blocks of fail that I can't even bring myself to read, because I might get more stupid the more I try and understand.

Also, he says foolish things too frequently, and I have better things to do than argue with fools.

Pæs

I was going to disagree with you until you reminded me that those mice don't have enough buttons. I hope his whole family is eaten by cats.

Salty

I was going to reply. I did. I had this big thing about this and that.

Then I deleted it, ate some beef, and peed.

wait...
(and cheap knockoffs of the Blackberry misrepresented as novel and innovative products)

Are you talking about the iPhone? Are you saying the iPhone is a knockoff of a Blackberry?
Paging Dr. Dunning, Dr. Kruger. Paging Dr. Dunning, Dr. Kruger.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.