Fleshing out Occult - refinement of diagrams

Started by LHX, February 15, 2007, 04:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangrove

Quote from: LMNO on February 15, 2007, 06:32:51 PM
And then there's always Paul, on the road to Damascus.

So that's 2.

(3 if you count Tom Cruise  :lulz:)

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

LMNO

Tom had to pay good money to get so enlightened, dammit!

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: LMNO on February 15, 2007, 06:23:51 PM
Dude, that was an example.

You're reading too much into my posts.

There are plenty of types of occult knowledge.

However, what did you have in mind as a "short-form" way to enlightenment?  Because that would come in very handy.

Maybe I am.

Tantra is the most popular "short-form," assuming "enlightenment" is more than just another way for organizations to fleece you out of your money and time.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mangrove

I was going to say that Tantric methods sprang to mind...

However, I think it would be much safer to say that this is really hard work, and not to assume that one might be .00001% of the world's population.

Sure.

Or you might have just locked yourself into doing the same ass shit for years and years, over and over again thinking you're getting closer to attaining "ooglyboogly".

LMNO

Quote from: Netaungrot on February 15, 2007, 06:40:11 PM

However, I think it would be much safer to say that this is really hard work, and not to assume that one might be .00001% of the world's population.

Sure.

Or you might have just locked yourself into doing the same ass shit for years and years, over and over again thinking you're getting closer to attaining "ooglyboogly".

True enough.  Part of my original comment indicated that you might choose a bit of occult knowledge that was complete bullshit.

Also, Tantra?  Hugh is more of an expert on this stuff, but as far as I recall, that one of those really hard work things, as well.  I think he wrote a rant on it.  I'll see if I can find it.

Mangrove

Real Tantra is really hard work, but I think it's considered 'faster' than other methods on the premise that 'desperate times calls for desperate measures' and that the risks of the method are justified by the speed of the results.

Apparently stems from the belief the the Kali Yuga is either very close or is currently in effect and thus, there isn't much time left for peole to attain enlightenment.

Or something like that. It's been a while since I read up on real tantra as opposed to new age sex-positive practises that pretend they're tantric.

LMNO

I'd also like to make a distinction between "mini-satoris" that don't last, and real, hard-core oogly-booglyness.

For example, many people, post-LSD trip, feel "changed" somehow, but that usually wears off within a week.  Or you could have a fantastic orgasm, and feel your heart chakra open up, but in no time you're a miserable bastard again.

Just to make sure we're on the same page here,ÄîI'm not saying hard work isn't an essential element to getting to the next level.

Moreso that hard work and enjoying oneself are not mutually exclusive. 

LMNO

Speaking of which, I've gotta go make a poster.

Sorry for the hijack, X.

I'm thinking the one thing those diagrams could use is some integration between the 3.

Mangrove

LHX

Would a list of features common to occult systems (that we're knowledgeable of) be appropriate? Perhaps we can distill things a bit?

The Littlest Ubermensch

Quote from: Netaungrot on February 15, 2007, 07:01:34 PM
Just to make sure we're on the same page here,ÄîI'm not saying hard work isn't an essential element to getting to the next level.¬†

Define "work". There are those (such as myself) that "work" is the antithesis of moving on spiritually, and immersing yourself in "work" is going to cause more problems then it solves. I place "work" in quotations because my idea of work is energy expended that isn't of your volition, which is seperate from being productive. Many people, when hearing "hard work", don't translate it as (and as I'm sure you all do) "being very productive and expending a lot of energy".
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

LMNO

Oh, come on.  Isn't it plainly obvious that we aren't talking about cubicle, 9-5 desk-jockey stuff?

It's like going to the gym.  If you want rock-hard abs, you have to work out.  You're doing all those situps voluntarily, but it hurts, it makes you sore, but if you want those washboard abs, you do it anyway.

LHX

Quote from: Netaungrot on February 15, 2007, 07:11:20 PM
Speaking of which, I've gotta go make a poster.

Sorry for the hijack, X.

I'm thinking the one thing those diagrams could use is some integration between the 3.

dont sweat the jack

this is all good

Quote from: Mangrove on February 15, 2007, 07:14:37 PM
LHX

Would a list of features common to occult systems (that we're knowledgeable of) be appropriate? Perhaps we can distill things a bit?

yes

trends
synonyms
correspondences

even invent new ones by applying the law of fives to a old one

Quote from: Netaungrot on February 15, 2007, 07:11:20 PM

:mittens:

Now what to do with these models?  What can they help facilitate?
a map

a map that can be used to for reference or to tap into creative inspiration

a wiki map

a way to orient self

along the lines of Mang's thread today about 'how do you remind yourself...'
neat hell