News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

Unvarnished Truth #3: Filters and preconceptions

Started by Doktor Howl, March 30, 2010, 06:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on March 30, 2010, 08:34:23 PM
Hm.  I will hold my thoughts until I hear more UT essays.  It seems like I'm in need of more definitions.

Problem is, the English language has become all stretchy since the late 70s, especially since the 90s.

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenne on March 30, 2010, 08:11:58 PM
:mittens:  This has made me think, because, truly, I'm an idealist, and that is why I get hurt a lot.  I totally expect more out of the primates I live with and love, and so I get monkey-fucked, in a bad way.  :x

The opposite of win/lose is lose/win.  <--- stupid corporate terms, but they apply.

Setting out to please everyone is a recipe for getting shat upon.

Molon Lube

Jenne

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 30, 2010, 08:39:22 PM
:mittens:  This has made me think, because, truly, I'm an idealist, and that is why I get hurt a lot.  I totally expect more out of the primates I live with and love, and so I get monkey-fucked, in a bad way.  :x

The opposite of win/lose is lose/win.  <--- stupid corporate terms, but they apply.

Can we get that on a t-shirt, please?  I  need to wear it, daily.  It's why I get hung up on days like today when I think the world is LETTING ME DOWN, DAMMIT.  It's my own BIP that has wrapped itself around me.

AGAIN.

:crankey:

LMNO

The good Doktor summarizes my adolescence, ITT.

LMNO

That ended up being a lot more scat-pron related than I intended, didn't it?

Jenne

Quote from: LMNO on March 30, 2010, 08:50:02 PM

:lmnuendo: strikes again.

Jenne

Quote from: LMNO on March 30, 2010, 08:46:18 PM

...my WHOLE existence.  *now has something to put in the SHAME thread*

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenne on March 30, 2010, 08:40:20 PM
:mittens:  This has made me think, because, truly, I'm an idealist, and that is why I get hurt a lot.  I totally expect more out of the primates I live with and love, and so I get monkey-fucked, in a bad way.  :x

Can we get that on a t-shirt, please?  I  need to wear it, daily.  It's why I get hung up on days like today when I think the world is LETTING ME DOWN, DAMMIT.  It's my own BIP that has wrapped itself around me.

AGAIN.

Being altruistic is fine, provided you can afford it (emotionally or financially, as the case may be), you don't expect gratitude or reciprocation (when you get it, great), and you don't feel that it's your duty.

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Is that possible?
Molon Lube

Jenne

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 30, 2010, 08:52:06 PM
Quote from: Jenne on March 30, 2010, 08:40:20 PM

AGAIN.

Being altruistic is fine, provided you can afford it (emotionally or financially, as the case may be), you don't expect gratitude or reciprocation (when you get it, great), and you don't feel that it's your duty.

Can you remind me of this in a few years when I'm bitching about what I did for my kids and their apparent lack of appreciation of my efforts?  Because knowing me as I do, this will happen. 

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 30, 2010, 08:53:12 PM

Is that possible?

Stranger things have happened.

At least, that's what they tell me.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenne on March 30, 2010, 08:51:19 PM
Quote from: LMNO on March 30, 2010, 08:46:18 PM

...my WHOLE existence.  *now has something to put in the SHAME thread*

So stop.

I have one of those cliche signs by my desk, but it's one I take very seriously.

"I can't please everyone every day.  Today isn't your day.  Tomorrow isn't looking good, either."

Which, when translated, means:

"I am here to make the plant run safely and smoothly.  All other considerations, including your bloated ego, are secondary and will have to wait until I have time to listen to you bloviate to prove how smart you are."
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on March 30, 2010, 08:55:18 PM

Stranger things have happened.

Yeah, but how often can you get that many nuns drunk?
Molon Lube

Jenne