News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

So did you know

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 16, 2014, 12:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: Your Mom on October 16, 2014, 11:14:38 PM
Quote from: trix on October 16, 2014, 09:43:25 PM
lol I wonder if I could hold my nose and still detect the scent of something strong and easily recognizable.
I want to try this experiment!

You probably could, but more likely due to sneaky odor molecules sneaking into your nasal chamber, not due to the olfactory receptors in your skin, because they do not route to the odor-recognizing part of your brain.

So, do they have any point, or are they like the appendix?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Sita

Does this explain why I can taste smells?
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Sita on October 17, 2014, 12:23:07 AM

No, that's a stroke.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on October 17, 2014, 12:35:32 AM

No, that's a stroke.

And LSD.  The drug that makes your music taste awful. 

Not that I would know personally, of course. 
Molon Lube

trix

hah, that's interesting though, I wonder if this ability could be put to some sort of use...
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

LMNO

Ah. So, same receptors, different destination.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on October 16, 2014, 11:26:17 PM
lol I wonder if I could hold my nose and still detect the scent of something strong and easily recognizable.

You probably could, but more likely due to sneaky odor molecules sneaking into your nasal chamber, not due to the olfactory receptors in your skin, because they do not route to the odor-recognizing part of your brain.

Well, they trigger biochemical responses to environmental cues, so it seems a safe bet to say that they have a point, even if we don't really fully understand what's going on yet.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

No, that's probably due to the fact that much of flavor is actually olfactory.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

That's really cool, So how much sensitivity are we talking here?

Discrete impulses that adjust our reflexes or being able to tell coke from pepsi blindfolded while passing a hand over them.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Dildo Argentino

I wonder if this has anything to do with it... back when I worked as a pool attendant I got more than a fair share of truly revolting smells in large quantities (like the time I spent two days with a bunch of other guys using hydrochloric acid in chem-suits with rebreather apparatus to clean off half an inch of human fat from the inside of our pool - just the one example). And I had noticed that some atrocious smells have the added quality of not only not wanting to breathe while they are there, but also getting an icky feeling all over, a sense of touching something really vile. Rotting liver (I had the good fortune in a pharma factory) and badly rotten green peppers do that, for instance.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Junkenstein

Quote from: Your Mom on October 16, 2014, 09:37:18 PM
Quote from: Faust on October 16, 2014, 03:46:14 PM
Quote from: Your Mom on October 16, 2014, 12:43:29 AM
...that your skin has odor receptors?

Your whole body is a nose.

You're welcome.

How does this work, are their functions related to perspiration, heat detection etc?

They work the same way as the ones in our noses do (detecting and recognizing odor molecules) but rather than routing that information through the thalamus for conscious recognition, they seem to serve a regulatory function, responding to certain odors by triggering biochemical cascades that regulate how our cells transcribe DNA to produce certain proteins. For example, for reasons no one understands, exposing the skin to the odor of sandalwood triggers a cascade that results in more rapid healing of wounds.

Wait, what? So Aromatherapy might not just be a giant pile of horseshit? What?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Reginald Ret

rub pepper on elbow. it should work, I never tried it though.

Quote from: Your Mom on October 16, 2014, 11:12:43 PM
Quote from: Ragret on October 16, 2014, 10:33:01 PM

You're welcome.

How does this work, are their functions related to perspiration, heat detection etc?

They work the same way as the ones in our noses do (detecting and recognizing odor molecules) but rather than routing that information through the thalamus for conscious recognition, they seem to serve a regulatory function, responding to certain odors by triggering biochemical cascades that regulate how our cells transcribe DNA to produce certain proteins. For example, for reasons no one understands, exposing the skin to the odor of sandalwood triggers a cascade that results in more rapid healing of wounds.
Rapid healing? I'm guessing that is caused by free radicals.

Is joke? I don't get it. :?
Naw, I just read somewhere that too much antioxidants slow wound healing and I concocted this whole explanation in my head in which both apoptosis and excessive cellular growth (cancer) are caused by free radicals, and both are needed for tissue regeneration therefore free radicals must promote tissue regeneration.

Uhm, I'm not sure if i've explained that right.
Let me try again in an logical-positivist-ish style:
1. Anti-oxidants reduce the presence of free radicals.
2. Extreme concentrations of anti-oxidants are thought to slow tissue regeneration.
3. Extreme concentrations of free radicals are thought to cause apoptosis and excessive cellular growth.
  3.1. Free radicals could be a positive factor in tissue regeneration.
END of logical positivist-ish style.

Isn't sandalwood slightly poisonous? That could cause a release of free-radicals.

I'm just idly theorizing here but the concept has it's attractions.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on October 17, 2014, 06:30:03 AM
That's really cool, So how much sensitivity are we talking here?

Discrete impulses that adjust our reflexes or being able to tell coke from pepsi blindfolded while passing a hand over them.

More like reactions that regulate the expression of signaling that tells the cells to do certain things, like telling skin cells to multiply and migrate.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ragret on October 17, 2014, 04:48:24 PM

rub pepper on elbow. it should work, I never tried it though.

Quote from: Your Mom on October 16, 2014, 11:12:43 PM
Quote from: Ragret on October 16, 2014, 10:33:01 PM

You're welcome.

Rapid healing? I'm guessing that is caused by free radicals.

Is joke? I don't get it. :?
Naw, I just read somewhere that too much antioxidants slow wound healing and I concocted this whole explanation in my head in which both apoptosis and excessive cellular growth (cancer) are caused by free radicals, and both are needed for tissue regeneration therefore free radicals must promote tissue regeneration.

Uhm, I'm not sure if i've explained that right.
Let me try again in an logical-positivist-ish style:
1. Anti-oxidants reduce the presence of free radicals.
2. Extreme concentrations of anti-oxidants are thought to slow tissue regeneration.
3. Extreme concentrations of free radicals are thought to cause apoptosis and excessive cellular growth.
  3.1. Free radicals could be a positive factor in tissue regeneration.
END of logical positivist-ish style.

Isn't sandalwood slightly poisonous? That could cause a release of free-radicals.

I'm just idly theorizing here but the concept has it's attractions.

So you're thinking that the cell signaling triggered by sandalwood could be telling the mitochondria to bump up production of free radicals to age cells and tell them to divide more rapidly, speeding skin cell proliferation and migration? I don't know that much about it but I don't see why not. I mean, shorthand for all that would probably just be "metabolize faster".

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Junkenstein on October 17, 2014, 10:17:25 AM
Wait, what? So Aromatherapy might not just be a giant pile of horseshit? What?

I like that question!
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis