News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

ATTN Swordfighting PPL

Started by Triple Zero, June 10, 2012, 12:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

"Hello I'm Neal Stephenson. I've been writing Science and Historical Fiction for 3 decades. Well screw that. I want to do a videogame. A videogame about something really cool and fun that I enjoy: Swordfighting ..."

Click the video!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clang

(I'm not saying you should donate or even have an idea whether the end result will be awesome, but you DO want to check that video :) )
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

( The top comment on the HN thread is too good not to share )

"I'm the greatest sword fighter in the world."

"And you wrote the software."

"Yeah. That, too," Hiro says.

―Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

(relevant and quotes one of my favourite novels!)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Telarus

Just saw this somewhere else.

It looks VERY interesting.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Phox

Don Coyote

So how exaclty does he plan on implementing the feedback required to react properly when in the bind and while winding? Considering it is supposed to be felt and not seen, I will not be holding my breath.

Don Coyote

Also, LOL ARMA LOL!!!!!!

Also the one chapter I read from the Mongoliad set my teeth on edge.

Don Coyote

A response in their FAQ]
QuoteHow are you going to handle sword on sword collisions with regards to feedback?

We've been thinking about this for years. It's not in the videos because to try to explain it here would get us hopelessly deep into the weeds. We think we have an approach that will work. It's hard to explain in detail without a very lengthy brain dump. It's not just One Big Awesome Solution. It's a number of separate techniques working together. Some of these are familiar (visual, auditory, and haptic feedback) and others center on some innovative UI schemes. If you allow the controller's position to get out of sync with what is shown on the screen, you get some feedback to that effect and you get UI cues on how to get back into sync.

In general,if you drill down deep enough on the actual sword techniques, the tree of possible outcomes gets pruned way down. It turns out that you rarely have to solve the fully general problem of one sword stopping another sword traveling at top speed at an arbitrary location in space. Which is a hard problem!

If you are "swinging for the fences" with a sword attack---which is to say, if you are assuming a long follow-through---then you're probably doing it wrong. You don't have to cut the other guy in half. You just have to hit him. In most of these arts, you're trained to pull the attack and stop with the sword between you and the adversary. If the attack succeeds, you're done. If it fails, you have stopped with your blade in a tactically sound defensive position instead of swinging all the way through and taking your sword completely out of the action.

For some reason it sounds like, "We have no idea but we want you to think we do."
Also
QuoteIn most of these arts, you're trained to pull the attack and stop with the sword between you and the adversary.
I know for a fact that he, or the people teaching him, are full of shit. No one where have I read an injunction to pull your blow. All the techniques that come from a bind, assume your opponent put his sword in the way. Either that or he is just fucking balls at explaining.

Luna

Pull the...  ohforfucksake...

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

The Morazzo style specifically requires complete follow through because it places the blade in position for the next attack. If you are in Posta di Donna (the blade positioned over the shoulder) and cut a fendente (cutting from the opponents jaw through their hip), either you will cut through and kill, the opponent will block/bind or the opponent (if he's actually smart) will void/step back, bringing his weapon into a defensive position. The attacker will continue the movement, bringing the blade to the hip in the "Boars tooth" post (hilt near the hip, blade pointed forward and down, ready for a thrust forward if your opponent stepped back) or to the reverse Posta di Donna (ready for a cut from the reverse side if your opponent blocked).

Morazzo would probably hit you in the head with his pommel if you 'pulled' your attack. It breaks his entire longsword technique.

Fiore also requires a flow from position to position. In single rapier, both Fabris and Di Grassi require the same sort of follow through and flow from position to position.

Modern WMA groups require 'pulling' the shot if they're playing with steel for safety reasons... not because its part of the actual technique. I love Neal's writing, but that FAQ answer seems absurd.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Telarus

I really think he's trying to sell the idea that you "must not swing it like a baseball-bat, you must redirect the follow-through to your next position/movement". But, y'know.. to non-sword-peeps. Golf and base-ball, etc require seriously exaggerated follow-though in order to drive the hips into the strike at the ball. Most modern gamers have more experience with this type of follow-through, which will make you suck at swordfighting. At the same time, pulling blows on purpose before the follow-through is "complete" is stupid, I agree.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Don Coyote

Looks like they are planning on using the vibration function of the hydra controller to let you know that your sword is in contact with another sword.

Richter

Nice find.

I don't need a videogame to swordfight though, I can do it in real life, with my own swords, and when I fuck up, I learn something I can do better.  Not that motion capture controllers STILL piss me off.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Richter

AS a geek in a suit of armor, I'd totally work for this dude though.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Don Coyote

Last night I made the acquaintance of one of the goofy men in armor helping with that game.