News:

Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

I got an official job offer!

Started by East Coast Hustle, February 20, 2014, 07:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

For really real, with an actual salary that doesn't totally insult me and everything!

There's a catch! Of course there's a catch!

It's my old job! In Maine! Rural eastern Maine! And it doesn't come with insurance! But it's a 50% raise over what I make now so I can probably afford to pay the penalty and go to the Dominican if I actually need medical care! But with the cost of living factored in it's probably only a 25% raise! ECHGF hates the idea of moving to Maine! But she'd get prime bartending shifts in the summer and be able to work part-time and go to school the rest of the year even though she hates the cold! I love the idea of being back in charge of a kitchen where I can actually cook awesome food the way I want to cook it! But I also still hate being cold!

I am completely torn, PD!
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

The tax penalty increases each year.  In 2016, it will be over $2k.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

That's great!

OR

Damn!  That sucks.

How do you think the stability of the job is up there?  A year, two years?

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Congrats on the real and actual job offer! Can it be used as a lever to improve your current position?
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Salty

That's a tough one.

On one hand, money and power.
On the other, you seem to really be enjoying WA.

Could this be used to propel you to doing something on your own, like a truck or something?
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on February 20, 2014, 07:48:55 PM
Congrats on the real and actual job offer! Can it be used as a lever to improve your current position?

Gonna find that out soon enough.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Eater of Clowns

Don't you love Seattle, though?

A lot?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on February 20, 2014, 08:14:27 PM

A lot?

He holds down Seattle the same way I hold down Tucson.

East Coast Hustle

Actually I fell out of love with Seattle after 3 years of living in Portland. I do love Everett, where I actually live, but I'm leaning towards "I can be happy anywhere if I'm happy with what I'm DOING, show me the goddamn money".

If I can make the housing costs out there manageable and make the moving costs and logistics something less than a total nightmare.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 20, 2014, 09:27:43 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on February 20, 2014, 08:14:27 PM

A lot?

He holds down Seattle the same way I hold down Tucson.

Understood.

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS FUCK MOVE TO MAINE GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

East Coast Hustle

I'm really having a hard time coming up with a reasonable argument for not doing this. It's more money, no more late nights, cook the food I wanna cook, and be able to hopefully save some money for the inevitable move to STT when the folks get too old to take care of the house and property anymore.

ECHGF is not that stoked on it, which is understandable, but seems willing to indulge me. Though, as with anything, there's probably going to be a catch.

LMNO

A catch called "marriage," perhaps?

Ben Shapiro

Take the job! Live like a poor college kid to save money. Aquire profit, and move somewhere else when the job tanks. Burn Maine down as you leave.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on February 21, 2014, 11:36:21 PM
I'm really having a hard time coming up with a reasonable argument for not doing this. It's more money, no more late nights, cook the food I wanna cook, and be able to hopefully save some money for the inevitable move to STT when the folks get too old to take care of the house and property anymore.

ECHGF is not that stoked on it, which is understandable, but seems willing to indulge me. Though, as with anything, there's probably going to be a catch.

If your current place won't make it worth your while to stay, I can't imagine why you would.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A