News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

what do you mean, "original"?

Started by GrannySmith, December 17, 2013, 12:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrannySmith

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 17, 2013, 07:44:53 PM
Quote from: GrannySmith on December 17, 2013, 07:22:03 PM
the singer of the band comes to practice with three standard chords and half a lyric. he or she starts playing these chords and repeating the half lyric. the others join in, and in the end product two of these three chords are left in one part of the song, and the band nags the singer to write some lyrics because he or she doesn't like it when others write the texts. is now the singer justified to claim this song as their own and (though saying "it's not about the money") insisting that the "truth" and the "fact" of the ownership of his or her "original idea" be acknowledged?

Qualifications:  "is now the singer justified to claim this song as their own".  Does "their" mean the singer?

Actually, a lot of the pronoun use is unclear.  Who doesn't like it when who doesn't write texts?
Sorry about that, yes: the singer would like to claim a jam created song as written by the singer.
and: the singer doesn't like it if someone else writes lyrics.

Not knowing that info:

1) The musical could be credited to "the band" rather than "the singer".  If the singer wants to get pissy, the singer can get credited as composer, and the band as arrangers.  The royalties would be split as per their contract.

2) If "the singer" writes all the lyrics, then the singer has copyright on the lyrics.  Lyrics and music fall under different copyrights.  If someone else helped with the lyrics, they can argue the lyrics were co-written.  Again, royalties would be split as per contract.

If you notice, the common thread here is "per contract".  When you speak of money, you speak of contracts.  And if the band is arguing about who "owns" a song, and they don't have a contract and understand this stuff, they won't be a band for very much longer.

LMNO
-The Frost Heaves have songs written by The Frost Heaves.  Lyrics by the singer, with noted exceptions.

but this is the problem. the singer does not want any contract nor wants any special share of the money. which i personally find seriously weird, then what's all the fight about? the truth? and the fact? of fucking what? but you're right about the contract LMNO, a contract wasn't made so far because it was a band between friends and for fun. when there's arguing in circles about copyrights, a contract is needed, so the endless whining will finally stop   :lulz: :lulz:
  X  

LMNO

So it's ego.  It is bitter tea that concerns them so.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 17, 2013, 10:23:30 PM
Quote from: Officer What's His /b/ear on December 17, 2013, 09:56:35 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 17, 2013, 08:21:14 AM
Is "hipster" a bad name?

It is to me. I considered it one of the most offensive insults. I lump it with sterilized fun. Rock N Roll with no BALLS!

I like that.  Not sure I entirely agree, but I like it.

Been working on it in a rant. Trying to make it less jaded and cynical and more satirical. I don't want to come off as RWHN. So far this is what I got.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 17, 2013, 11:17:14 PM
Quote from: GrannySmith on December 17, 2013, 10:34:18 PM
Quote from: Pæs on December 17, 2013, 10:12:03 PM
FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE.

WHAT'S A DIMINUTIVE FORM OF "GRANNY"?

grannylein, in german at least :)

Roger, i guess we have different views of what is friendly or what not, and of what is acceptable or what not. unlike you, i don't mind being called nicknames, and in my cultures this is totally acceptable, even from strangers. also unlike you apparently, i don't like being called neither hipster nor shiteye or whatever that was, and I don't make a scene. anyway, that nickname calling and kiss sending was a failed attempt on switching the note from screaming to friendly, and maybe even have a conversation in the end, but oh well.  :wave:

Well, just a heads-up; most Americans do NOT like being called by nicknames or diminutives by people tehy aren;t close to, particularly during an argumentative conversation.
I did not know this. Is this a specific thing or is switching emotional tack (for a moment) within a conversation always a faux pas?
I use it as a strong tool to keep a miscommunication from turning an argument into a fight.
I prefer to use it in real life interactions and/or with people who know my body language because the backfires can be extreme.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

LMNO

Trying to spin a negative environment into a positive one isn't a bad thing.

Expressing undue familiarity via nicknames with a person you don't really know all that well, especially when that nickname has a diminuitive appearance (I'll let the linguists tackle that one), on the other hand... well, it pretty much has the opposite effect of what you seem to be looking for.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: :regret: on December 18, 2013, 12:31:48 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 17, 2013, 11:17:14 PM
FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE.

Roger, i guess we have different views of what is friendly or what not, and of what is acceptable or what not. unlike you, i don't mind being called nicknames, and in my cultures this is totally acceptable, even from strangers. also unlike you apparently, i don't like being called neither hipster nor shiteye or whatever that was, and I don't make a scene. anyway, that nickname calling and kiss sending was a failed attempt on switching the note from screaming to friendly, and maybe even have a conversation in the end, but oh well.  :wave:

Well, just a heads-up; most Americans do NOT like being called by nicknames or diminutives by people tehy aren;t close to, particularly during an argumentative conversation.
I did not know this. Is this a specific thing or is switching emotional tack (for a moment) within a conversation always a faux pas?
I use it as a strong tool to keep a miscommunication from turning an argument into a fight.
I prefer to use it in real life interactions and/or with people who know my body language because the backfires can be extreme.

The message received by North Americans is "disdain".
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 18, 2013, 02:00:45 PM
FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE.

I'll keep that in mind.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: :regret: on December 18, 2013, 02:07:26 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 18, 2013, 02:00:45 PM
FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE.

I'll keep that in mind.

Thing is, among many North Americans, nicknames are okay...If you know the person.  Among others, never.  To call someone by a nickname when you don't know them is a way of saying "you are inconsequential; I do not need your permission to fuck with your name."

Regardless of what message is sent, that is the message that is received.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

And it's not just the United States.  Canada is similar, and Mexico - or at least parts of it - are even moreso.

I deal with folks from Sonora all the time, and I am utterly formal with the use of their names unless and until they tell me the diminuative they go by.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE.

Here, if you are having an argument with James and al of a sudden you start calling him "Jimmy", you'll probably get punched in the face, because what you're conveying is that you view him and his argument as childish and not worth taking seriously.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's very much like being in the middle of an argument with a woman and out of the blue you start calling her "sweetie".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

I was trying to formulate the above example, but you pretty much took care of it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's funny, my name doesn't even HAVE a diminutive form, but I get people (almost always men) trying to diminutize it as a power play all the time. I'm like, seriously, did you just call me "Kallie"? BRB, Richtering my knives.

LMNO

Ok, so I do understand reducing the number of syllables when speaking to a friend, but I'd actually have to be living in Portland for about a year before I tried calling you "Kal". Which, perhaps, isn't a diminution more than a 'shortening'.

Which brings up another point. In face-to-face, IRL conversations, I can see shorter nicknames as an ease-of-use issue. But when it's a forum, there's really no added convenience to nicknames, and that only emphasizes the power-dynamic aspect.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 18, 2013, 05:46:18 PM
It's funny, my name doesn't even HAVE a diminutive form, but I get people (almost always men) trying to diminutize it as a power play all the time. I'm like, seriously, did you just call me "Kallie"? BRB, Richtering my knives.

They get what they ask for.   :lulz:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division