News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: NO CISNORMATIVE ELVEN PATRIARCHS ALLOWED

Started by Cain, January 22, 2015, 08:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 10, 2015, 07:09:09 PM
I was arguing with an old friend of mine about privilege.  Same exact argument I went through here, only with less screaming.

I think I found a way to explain it:

QuoteLet's say that you are in a contest to see who can jump the highest. The rich kid starts on a 2 foot high platform. You stand on a 6 inch platform. A poor Black woman starts on the ground. The guy with Down Syndrome is in a 6 foot deep hole.

You can still win, despite the rich kid's privilege. But you're going to have to overcome his advantage. The poor Black woman is in trouble. The down syndrome kid hasn't got a prayer.

It's a good depiction.

Of course disadvantage don't exist in a truly free market, you just work harder and naturally reap all due reward.
And there's plenty of bridges and seasonal seaside properties in my inventory too.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 10, 2015, 10:06:30 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 10, 2015, 07:09:09 PM
I was arguing with an old friend of mine about privilege.  Same exact argument I went through here, only with less screaming.

I think I found a way to explain it:

QuoteLet's say that you are in a contest to see who can jump the highest. The rich kid starts on a 2 foot high platform. You stand on a 6 inch platform. A poor Black woman starts on the ground. The guy with Down Syndrome is in a 6 foot deep hole.

You can still win, despite the rich kid's privilege. But you're going to have to overcome his advantage. The poor Black woman is in trouble. The down syndrome kid hasn't got a prayer.

It's a good depiction.

Of course disadvantage don't exist in a truly free market, you just work harder and naturally reap all due reward.
And there's plenty of bridges and seasonal seaside properties in my inventory too.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Ben Shapiro

New year means new blood work!

So our blood work came in. We go back and do some more tests in 6 months.
What has changed for us in 2015 versus 2014.

Bearman(Me):
Diabetes:
The numbers are creeping up to pre-diabetes type 2,but I'm not diabetic yet. If I lose the body fat I should be fine. Think of Drew Carey once he lost 50lbs of body fat he was no longer a type 2 diabetic. Worse case scenario I get on a diabetic/thyroid medicine cocktail that helps me shred body fat. She'll make sure to give me the medicine that causes people to lose weight, and not inter-act with my medicine.

Cholesterol:
A lot lower than than 2015. But my Triglycerides (Fat in my veins) are high now. So they're giving me a low dosage of Cholesterol medicine to drop it to normal. No biggie I did this for a year when I was 16, and dropped down to normal.

Blood Pressure: The top number increased, but the lower number decreased a good amount. If the top number gets to 150, or the bottom number gets to 90. I will be given medicine. I was at 131/89 last year. Now I'm 144/80.

Thyroid:
I officially have it a normal levels. I will still be given my medicine. People with a low thyroid have a normal window period for a year, or two then it drops back to low.
Explains why today I felt good I wasn't drained,or weak and got to hook up one pump today without any help.
I can honestly say I feel like I'm 21 right now.

Jewcat (wife):

Diabetes: Good
Cholesterol: Good, but her good Cholesterol is stupid low, and the doctor said it indicates she doesn't do any physical activity at all.
Blood Pressure: HIGH AS FUCK!
Thyroid: Normal
PLOT TWIST: She's MILDLY ANEMIC!

Blood work better than what I expected!

Ben Shapiro

Also I burn 3900 Calories daily. I officially now have to eat nothing less than 2400 a fucking day, or else my resting metabolism goes down. I was eating 1800-2000 a day this explains why I was tired as fuck all these last few fucking months. I literally thought my thyroid got worse.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That blood pressure shit is my bugaboo too, and I am hellla active.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I love the assumptions of nurses that everyone else is a complete moron who cannot be trusted to handle even basic medication, and the only people with such advanced and sophisticated skills like "giving ibuprofen to a student in pain" are nurses themselves.

I've just been checking my work emails, and it seems I did a Bad Thing.  Never mind it was 4am, the girl was having severe menstrual cramps, and I had either the choice of giving her some paracetamol (which wouldn't help) or ibuprofen (which wouldn't help much, but might reduce her discomfort a bit).  House Parents are only qualified to give paracetamol, apparently.  Maybe no-one should tell the nurses you can actually kill people with paracetamol, or they might take that away from us too.

Then again, the whole rule structure of this place is insane anyway.  Students can keep their own medication, but we don't trust them to be on the internet past midnight.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on February 11, 2015, 04:15:32 PM
I love the assumptions of nurses that everyone else is a complete moron who cannot be trusted to handle even basic medication, and the only people with such advanced and sophisticated skills like "giving ibuprofen to a student in pain" are nurses themselves.

I've just been checking my work emails, and it seems I did a Bad Thing.  Never mind it was 4am, the girl was having severe menstrual cramps, and I had either the choice of giving her some paracetamol (which wouldn't help) or ibuprofen (which wouldn't help much, but might reduce her discomfort a bit).  House Parents are only qualified to give paracetamol, apparently.  Maybe no-one should tell the nurses you can actually kill people with paracetamol, or they might take that away from us too.

Then again, the whole rule structure of this place is insane anyway.  Students can keep their own medication, but we don't trust them to be on the internet past midnight.

Oh FFS. :roll: That has to be the stupidest random bureaucratic bullshit hurdle since America.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Speaking of students, I DO NOT want to go to class and deal with whatever random idiotic stupid bullshit they'll have for me tonight. Guarantee that at least four of them will come up to me to tell me that they have a problem with their grade or are going to be late next week or can't make the museum tour or they really need someone to come and meet them to answer study questions on their schedule, which is only open Tuesday night at eight, which is an issue that we have ALL told them for five weeks in a row they need to email us about and not shit up fucking class time with.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also, they all seem to think that the fact that I collect the homework is an indication that I am Lord of the Grade, and therefore direct all complaints to me personally. I am the primary grading point person, but we grade by committee, with the other TAs alternating as my second pair of eyes, and with the professor having the final say when we disagree.

And, I don't fucking read their essays. That shit is not my job.

LMNO

That is a fairly accurate description of corporate middle management.

LMNO
-Team Lead/Warden

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 12, 2015, 01:35:07 AM
That is a fairly accurate description of corporate middle management.

LMNO
-Team Lead/Warden

Yes, if everyone involved sat around doing the thousand cuts thing in the conference room.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Hope to get home this weekend, see my pop, beat my bros at a few games, and... I got me a certified Valentines Day date!

What is the "thousand cuts thing" really because, not that I minded mind you, the first image in my head was a bunch of stuffed shirts getting the most authentic Asian executive experience of their lives.

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 12, 2015, 05:02:32 AM
Hope to get home this weekend, see my pop, beat my bros at a few games, and... I got me a certified Valentines Day date!

What is the "thousand cuts thing" really because, not that I minded mind you, the first image in my head was a bunch of stuffed shirts getting the most authentic Asian executive experience of their lives.

Spot on.  Except some of them do it to themselves.
Molon Lube

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Things are very hard right now. I got laid off a couple of weeks ago. I've spent the last week and a half not reacting. Kind of just hid. Filled out my unemployment. Fed myself the obligatory platitudes. Spent hours sitting in my room obsessing over important matters like my right leg being less flexible than my left....

...then I started sorting pictures. All at once it came. Fuck.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on February 12, 2015, 05:27:30 AM
Things are very hard right now. I got laid off a couple of weeks ago. I've spent the last week and a half not reacting. Kind of just hid. Filled out my unemployment. Fed myself the obligatory platitudes. Spent hours sitting in my room obsessing over important matters like my right leg being less flexible than my left....

...then I started sorting pictures. All at once it came. Fuck.

:sad:

Sorry, man. I hope things start coming together.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.