News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

The Death of Small Town America

Started by AFK, August 18, 2008, 02:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

It's happening all across the United States, I get to see it up close and personal in my own hometown where I grew up. 

So, this past weekend I was up in the WHN homeland.  Aroostook County Maine.  The northern most county of Maine, and actually one of the largest counties (in land mass) in the United States.  Anyhoo, my home town has this yearly festival.  There's a parade, music, vendors, you know, the usual thing.  It's just a scant little town of probably just over 1000 people.  If you blinked while you were driving through it, you'd miss it.  Anyway, this event is one that everyone always looks forward to and has been a tradition for years.  It's when people like myself who've grown up and away from the County come back with their kids to visit.  It is the one time a year this sleepy little town comes alive.

But, this was probably the last year.  The budget for the event has pretty much dried up as the economic slowdown and rising gas prices have eaten into the budget.  And, I'm quite sure this scenario is playing out in little towns all across America.  Little traditions like this in jeopardy as revenues evaporate.  The problem is, these sorts of events serve as a vital part of a small town's identity.  When you take these celebrations away, a certain amount of town pride is lost, and so the town suffers. 

It's bad enough that many families in these towns are on a knife's edge.  They are all a pink slip away from ruin.  And now for them to lose this one little distraction that they can look forward to each year, it's sort of like someone taking the knife that is sticking in their gut, and giving it a quick twist.  Now, my town is taking up a collection.  Asking for donations so that the August Festival may continue, but how many will be able to give?  And will it be enough?  And how long can it be sustained?

Of course no one really knows.  No one seems to really know what's going to happen.  And for sure, people in Big City America are struggling as well.  But in Big City America, you have more resources, more opportunities within a more concentrated area.  In Small Town America, it is more difficult, especially if your Small Town is in an isolated, far removed corner of the nation.  There are few options to take, few routes to travel.  Despair can set in quickly, and it can suffocate. 

With any luck, this economic slowdown will do a 180 and start heading for calmer waters.  And with any luck, its wake will send ripples of prosperity back into these little towns, as often they are the last to benefit from economic turnarounds.  And with any luck, my little town's festival, and all like it, will find a way to survive.  So while the bills come in, the bill collectors call, and the stress builds, there will at least be that one little thing to look forward to each year.  Everyone needs something to look forward to. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

It's really too bad. My aunt lives in a small town in Vermont, with a population under 200, and I always thought it was a pretty cool way to live. Small towns have a really deeprooted sense of community which you don't get in cities. My aunt goes to the farmer's market and she knows everyone there. When we went to go rent a video, we bumped into four people she knows from around town, and stopped to talk to each of them. I live in a city of 200,000, and I only know one other person who lives there. I wish there were festivals, local markets, and small town events where I could meet other locals, but it's Yonkers and it doesn't have anything friendly going on.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

One of the things I love about Portland is that it's a city with a small-town feel, and is friendlier and less cliquish than most small towns I've lived in. It has a population of about 550,000 but is divided into quadrants which are further divided into neighborhoods and finally districts, and each has events and festivals and farmers markets and all that crap. There's a joke in Portland about there only being two degrees of separation here, and actually the joke is not ESPECIALLY funny because it's true more often than not... it's hard to meet someone who doesn't know anyone you know. New friends are hard to avoid because everyone is very friendly. Some newcomers have a really hard time adapting to it, but once you get used to it, it's not so bad.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

knowing everybody in a small town means that everybody knows you, too. this is not always very comfortable.

privacy is nice. in a city people don't mind if you take your privacy, in a village, people wonder what you're up to.

cram, how can you know just one person in a city of 200K, though? there's 200K people there! that means there's at least 150 cool people in there (and that's enough). if you wanna be isolated, okay, but i know you don't want to be.

this weekend, saturday, there's a "pimp my block--do you know eachother?" party going on in the neighbourhood-house, which i definitely will try to attend, i've lived in this neighbourhood for 8 years now and i *know* there's stuff going on, but i've never been able (or had the time, or inclination, etc) to connect with the people. but i love the neighbourhood here, so i'm looking forward to it.
hey, if anyone got some cool ideas to bring and/or do there (i'm certain there's room for personal input) in a sort of discordian sense, i'd love to hear them! background: this is a very multicultural and mixed neighbourhood, students, indonesian, maroccan, "lower-class" people (dunno how to say it, but they dont earn much/welfare) and "starters" (just-finished students in a 1 or 2 person household).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.