News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

Watchdogs promotional site sniffs your FB data, generates charts!

Started by Cramulus, April 24, 2014, 12:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

There's a game coming out called Watchdogs, which is about being a 21st century hacker. Kind of a modern day assassins creed.

To promote the game, they launched this website called Digital Shadow. If you go there, it asks for all your Facebook data. If you are trusting enough to give it to them (I was. As a rule I never share that data but ehhhh okay fine just this once), it will generate all these interesting charts about you. It creates a profile which lists what words you typically use, what time of the day you're online, profession and income level, which people in your social network can be used to exploit you (based on your interaction frequency), and what time of day/week you're most likely to be using facebook (and are therefore more vulnerable to attack). The more data you've given facebook, the more complete its profile is.

It was fun, a bit scary, but ultimately I was relieved that my privacy settings and general good practices online left big holes in their data.

here's an article about it:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/22/watch-dogs-facebook-privacy-settings_n_5191237.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

here's a chart it generated of my language use vs Roger's.

(my name shopped out, obviously)

and here's the site
http://digitalshadow.com/shadow.php

Anyway, I thought you guys might be amused by this. If only for that chart of Roger's language usage.

LMNO

Hold on.  Did Roger know you were essentially datamining him?

The Good Reverend Roger

I really haven't got words to express my reaction to this.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

If this is just a language analysis based on my writing, I'm okay with it.  Although I'm still a little weirded out, in a "do I have to keep looking over my shoulder" kind of way.

If anything else was used, I want to know about it.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

I mean, granted, it only scrapes what you make publicly available on FB, which just about every marketing firm worth their fees already does, but still.

Sita

Even as socially inept as I am, I know to ask someone first before doing something like this.

Though based on Roger's posts looks like that didn't happen :(
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 24, 2014, 01:56:54 PM
I mean, granted, it only scrapes what you make publicly available on FB, which just about every marketing firm worth their fees already does, but still.

I just don't exactly understand what just happened.

Cramulus

it's just generating a word frequency table based on publicly available data

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sita on April 24, 2014, 01:57:48 PM
Even as socially inept as I am, I know to ask someone first before doing something like this.

Though based on Roger's posts looks like that didn't happen :(

I ain't mad.  At least not yet.  I want to know what the hell is going on.

I am required by my job to be in a paranoid mindset right now, on account of this:  http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=36313.msg1340509#msg1340509

Not to mention coming down off a brain fluke attack.

Right now, I am confused. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Cain

Quote from: Digital ShadowWe could not log you in: You can't log in to this app because you do not meet this app's requirements for country, age or other criteria.

Haha!  I am not a data cluster, I am an INDIVIDUAL.  In your face, corporate conglomerates as imagined by Ubisoft but probably based on a great deal of facts.

Cramulus

To be clear (in case you skipped the linked article), the profile it generates is about the person who submitted the info, not his/her friends. You can compare your word usage frequency to any of your friends word usage, but you can't get detailed info about them.

the scary thing isn't that you have access to your friends posts,
the scary thing (IMO) is that facebook has a LOT of data about people, and this suggests a way the data could theoretically be used maliciously.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on April 24, 2014, 02:15:12 PM
To be clear (in case you skipped the linked article), the profile it generates is about the person who submitted the info, not his/her friends. You can compare your word usage frequency to any of your friends word usage, but you can't get detailed info about them.

the scary thing isn't that you have access to your friends posts,
the scary thing (IMO) is that facebook has a LOT of data about people, and this suggests a way the data could theoretically be used maliciously.

I understand now.

I am paranoid, but not paranoid enough.   :lulz:

Cain

Watch Dogs is all about not being paranoid enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmwyW-Q960M

Things like this, and Person of Interest are likely closer to reality than most people would like to admit.  At the very least, MAIN CORE represents the seeds of a turn-key police state, when integration with PRISM and facial recognition data are considered.

Faust

Hehehe.

So I went to the page and the first thing I see is the noscript block.

Then I have to pause ghostery

Then I have to allow facebook

and then I still get:

We could not log you in: You can't log in to this app because you do not meet this app's requirements for country, age or other criteria.

Because I've never put in my age, education or location.

Edit: not that that should in any way make me feel more secure.
Sleepless nights at the chateau