News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

The Wild, Wild West redux

Started by Doktor Howl, April 17, 2010, 01:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on April 18, 2010, 06:13:29 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on April 18, 2010, 05:07:15 PM
You know, I find the concept that Tucson is actually the nicest place in Arizona completely terrifying.

Have you ever been to Pheonix? It is outright terrifying. Pants-wettingly awful. Phoenix features the relentless odor of urine, the grim grayness of an Orwell novel, and the most depressing suburbs imaginable, with tiny, cubicle-like houses roofed in corrugated aluminum or, sometimes, fiberglass, surrounded by yards of bare gray dirt in which nothing can grow. It would be reminiscent of a trailer park with a dirt circle made by a neglected, anxious pit bull chained to a tree, except they don't have any trees, or anything else that's alive. Until I had my first exposure to Phoenix, around 1994, I had absolutely no idea that a place that terrible existed in the United States. Now that I've seen Phoenix, I no longer believe in the first-world status of the United States. All this surrounds a downtown area that is exactly like a downtown area from a architect's sketch, with every bit as much interest and feeling as every mall ever built. They might as well pump the aroma of Cinnabon into downtown Phoenix; it would give it more soul.

And then there's Tempe. I am convinced that there is actually only four square blocks of Tempe, and when you get to one end you're right back where you started from due to some convolution in the space-time continuum. Living there is a hell of repeating those same four blocks over and over again; the Motel 6 where my son was conceived, the 76 station on the corner, the condos, the K-Mart.

I went golfing once, in Tempe. Tempe is a place that makes golfing sound like a great time. Tempe is a place that makes you want to drive into Phoenix for something to do.

The worst part is the people...Or, more accurately, the looks on their faces.
Molon Lube

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 18, 2010, 06:52:43 PM
You know, I find the concept that Tucson is actually the nicest place in Arizona completely terrifying.

Have you ever been to Pheonix? It is outright terrifying. Pants-wettingly awful. Phoenix features the relentless odor of urine, the grim grayness of an Orwell novel, and the most depressing suburbs imaginable, with tiny, cubicle-like houses roofed in corrugated aluminum or, sometimes, fiberglass, surrounded by yards of bare gray dirt in which nothing can grow. It would be reminiscent of a trailer park with a dirt circle made by a neglected, anxious pit bull chained to a tree, except they don't have any trees, or anything else that's alive. Until I had my first exposure to Phoenix, around 1994, I had absolutely no idea that a place that terrible existed in the United States. Now that I've seen Phoenix, I no longer believe in the first-world status of the United States. All this surrounds a downtown area that is exactly like a downtown area from a architect's sketch, with every bit as much interest and feeling as every mall ever built. They might as well pump the aroma of Cinnabon into downtown Phoenix; it would give it more soul.

And then there's Tempe. I am convinced that there is actually only four square blocks of Tempe, and when you get to one end you're right back where you started from due to some convolution in the space-time continuum. Living there is a hell of repeating those same four blocks over and over again; the Motel 6 where my son was conceived, the 76 station on the corner, the condos, the K-Mart.

I went golfing once, in Tempe. Tempe is a place that makes golfing sound like a great time. Tempe is a place that makes you want to drive into Phoenix for something to do.

What, you mean like the way it looks like their filters are so thick that they're constantly dazed, as if they had been hit in the head with something heavy, in order to live there without losing their minds?

Requia ☣

I generally drive through Arizona as quickly as possible in order to get somewhere else.

Now I understand why.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Requia ☣ on April 18, 2010, 07:02:55 PM
I generally drive through Arizona as quickly as possible in order to get somewhere else.

Now I understand why.

The parts that aren't in cities are incredibly beautiful.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on April 18, 2010, 07:12:20 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on April 18, 2010, 07:02:55 PM

Now I understand why.

The parts that aren't in cities are incredibly beautiful.

Yes. Anywhere in Arzona that is a small community. Some examples are Bisbee (or is it Benson? I always get those two mixed up), Tombstone, a lot of really tiny places north of Phoenix.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Professor Freeky on April 18, 2010, 07:01:56 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 18, 2010, 06:52:43 PM

What, you mean like the way it looks like their filters are so thick that they're constantly dazed, as if they had been hit in the head with something heavy, in order to live there without losing their minds?

The SMILE that says "Everything is GREAT!" underneath the eyes that say "something is missing."  And the slow, staggering stride that drags them to wherever they have to be, already in the knowledge that there'll be no parking when they get there.  Anywhere.  And that you can never, ever stop moving, or Sheriff Joe will have you in his tent city by nightfall...or on a bus to somewhere that isn't the shining city in the desert.  The City where there is, in fact, parking on the dance floor...And nowhere else.
Molon Lube

Freeky

I'm glad I'm not too familiar with the Phoenix area. I've been there maybe twice during daylight hours. Truly, that was enough. I had nightmares of those smiles for WEEKS after.

Jasper

Why must there even be a Pheonix?  Can't we just re-home those people somewhere north of there, and turn the place into an urban combat training facility?

Maybe if enough of them are redistributed longitudinally... :lol:  Like around north Utah.

Freeky

Sig, those people have obviously done something horrible in a previous life to end up living in Phoenix. I mean, seriously. No one WANTS to live there, it's a punishment by the cosmos!

Nast

Quote from: Professor Freeky on April 19, 2010, 07:48:00 AM
Sig, those people have obviously done something horrible in a previous life to end up living in Phoenix. I mean, seriously. No one WANTS to live there, it's a punishment by the cosmos!
[/quote

My mom wants to move there.

:x
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Jasper

Surely there can't be THAT many blameless people in the world, living in other places.

Template

Quote from: Sigmatic on April 19, 2010, 08:25:58 AM

Surely there can't be THAT many blameless people in the world, living in other places.

Who said that was the only punishment?

Pope Pixie Pickle

Imma totally :mittens: Roger's Phoenix.   

Kai

Phoenix doesn't look that bad from the photos. Just like any other urban/suburban hellhole in this goddamn country.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Kai on April 19, 2010, 12:46:59 PM
Phoenix doesn't look that bad from the photos. Just like any other urban/suburban hellhole in this goddamn country.

You have to get the city under your feet to understand, Kai.
Molon Lube