News:

PD.com: We occur at random among your children.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EK WAFFLR

Now reading XTRM by Jan Kallevik. It's about the antifascists who went into the streets of Oslo to rid them of neo-nazis in the 90's. fascinating read.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

The Wizard Joseph

About to begin reading
"Sifting through the madness for the word, the line, the way"
Poetry by a fella named Charles Bukowski.

Recommended by and on loan from friend. He warned me not to read it in a good mood I don't want spoiled. Know nothing about it or the author. Can't wait!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 23, 2014, 10:47:31 PM
About to begin reading

Recommended by and on loan from friend. He warned me not to read it in a good mood I don't want spoiled. Know nothing about it or the author. Can't wait!

Oh my.  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Quote from: Your Mom on October 24, 2014, 03:11:46 AM
About to begin reading

Doubled.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 24, 2014, 12:54:51 PM
Quote from: Your Mom on October 24, 2014, 03:11:46 AM
About to begin reading

Doubled.

When it is truly time,
And if you have been chosen,
It will do it by
Itself and it will keep on doing it
Until you die or it dies in
You.

There is no other way.

And there never was.

So you want to be a writer?
By Charles Bukowsi

I like this Charles Bukowski.

Said in the copyright notice that this work is from an archive of his that he had reserved for publication after his death. Here we go then.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You go read that Bukowski. You go read it, and you love it.

Bukowski understands you.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Hm... maybe I should finish the book before I get cheeky.

But I REALLY thought about getting cheeky just then.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

EK WAFFLR

Going to re-read Secret Agent 666: Aleister Crowley, British Intelligence and the Occult.

I read it once, when it came out.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

[/b]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm still reading Being Wrong, because I got derailed by reading other, more required things.

I'm on page 401 of my 1286 page bio textbook. That's the only one I'm reading straight through cover to cover because my instructor is so shitty, the rest I'm just using for reference. Just finished The Fifth Discipline by Senge. That was some dry-ass corporatese, man, that guy worked in business consulting for WAY too long. Good concepts but dude. About 2/3 done with Organic Chemistry as a Second Language. Started Candide because it's small and doesn't add much weight to my backpack.

Cain

Is the Fith Discipline related to the 4th Political Theory in the sense that it also utilises the Third Way?

I'm reading Jonathan Powell's book on negotiating with terrorists.  Powell is most infamous for being one of Tony Blair's special advisors but, unlike Alistair Campbell, the man has had a successful career in politics before going party political (as a diplomat) and is actually something of an intellectual.  Politically one can still find him disagreeable, but he's far more personable than most SpAds.

Powell was also one of the chief architects of the Good Friday Peace Agreements, and so actually has more than a little bit of expertise in the whole "negotiating with terrorists" deal.  He's remarkably sensible about the whole thing too - it's a wonder he ever survived high office in this country.

Then again, he also wrote a book about Machiavelli, which well could explain how he managed that feat...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on November 13, 2014, 07:33:05 AM
Is the Fith Discipline related to the 4th Political Theory in the sense that it also utilises the Third Way?

I'm reading Jonathan Powell's book on negotiating with terrorists.  Powell is most infamous for being one of Tony Blair's special advisors but, unlike Alistair Campbell, the man has had a successful career in politics before going party political (as a diplomat) and is actually something of an intellectual.  Politically one can still find him disagreeable, but he's far more personable than most SpAds.

Powell was also one of the chief architects of the Good Friday Peace Agreements, and so actually has more than a little bit of expertise in the whole "negotiating with terrorists" deal.  He's remarkably sensible about the whole thing too - it's a wonder he ever survived high office in this country.

Then again, he also wrote a book about Machiavelli, which well could explain how he managed that feat...

So many numbers!  :horrormirth: I find that kind of naming system as annoying as the One Woman's Journey approach.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The Third Way: Both these systems are wrong, so lets combine them and do it some more.

EK WAFFLR

Isn't Third Way sometyhing like: Both these systems are wrong, so lets combine them and do it some more, Hitler style?

[/b]

Cain

Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 13, 2014, 05:05:52 PM
So many numbers!  :horrormirth: I find that kind of naming system as annoying as the One Woman's Journey approach.

Books: One Woman's Journey into 17,000 One Woman's Journeys.

Quote from: Hello Waffles on November 14, 2014, 10:54:03 AM
Isn't Third Way sometyhing like: Both these systems are wrong, so lets combine them and do it some more, Hitler style?

You may be thinking of Third Positionist, which is similar, but not exactly the same.  It's basically left-leaning neoliberalism - capitalism and a welfare state.

Though the 4th Political Theory was invented by a man many see, not unfairly, as as mystical fascist.

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Cain on November 14, 2014, 11:06:42 AM
Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 13, 2014, 05:05:52 PM

Books: One Woman's Journey into 17,000 One Woman's Journeys.

Quote from: Hello Waffles on November 14, 2014, 10:54:03 AM

You may be thinking of Third Positionist, which is similar, but not exactly the same.  It's basically left-leaning neoliberalism - capitalism and a welfare state.

Though the 4th Political Theory was invented by a man many see, not unfairly, as as mystical fascist.

Ah yes. My bad. Many years ago I was approached by a CD-r label called Third Positionist Records. I politely declined.

Dugin, he was a posterboy for the AltRight crew a while, wasn't he?

[/b]