News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

OFFICIAL What Are You Reading thread

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, January 28, 2008, 06:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Nothing wrong with whimsical extemporanea.

LMNO

FUCK YOU, my mom was killed by whimsical extemporanea!

Darth Cupcake

I am reading (still) Infinite Jest. It is a violently dense brick that takes a while to get through. But fucking HELL it is so good!

Dave Foster Wallace has a really distinct style, yet somehow manages to use a different voice for all the different characters/chapters, etc, and he manages to weave together all these seemingly completely unrelated things... He has such an amazing style, his descriptions are amazing, his humor is dark and biting as humor should be... I am completely in love with this book, despite the fact that it is far too large to be portable, and far too dense to read more than twenty or so pages before I pass out at night, if that.

That said, this book has ruined me. I cannot seem to write a fucking word, due to the fact that I can absolutely never compare to DFW. That fucker. He is what I wanted to be. :argh!:
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Cain

In the Beginning was...the Command Line by Neal Stephenson.

Just managed to download a copy, along with a few others of his books (Zodiac, Big U) as well.

LMNO

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on January 30, 2008, 02:54:51 PM
I am reading (still) Infinite Jest. It is a violently dense brick that takes a while to get through. But fucking HELL it is so good!

Dave Foster Wallace has a really distinct style, yet somehow manages to use a different voice for all the different characters/chapters, etc, and he manages to weave together all these seemingly completely unrelated things... He has such an amazing style, his descriptions are amazing, his humor is dark and biting as humor should be... I am completely in love with this book, despite the fact that it is far too large to be portable, and far too dense to read more than twenty or so pages before I pass out at night, if that.

That said, this book has ruined me. I cannot seem to write a fucking word, due to the fact that I can absolutely never compare to DFW. That fucker. He is what I wanted to be. :argh!:

Hoo boy, are you ever in for a disappointment...

LMNO
-Read it; knows who the joke is on.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: LMNO on January 30, 2008, 03:17:07 PM
Quote from: Darth Cupcake on January 30, 2008, 02:54:51 PM

Hoo boy, are you ever in for a disappointment...

LMNO
-Read it; knows who the joke is on.

I look forward to having a joke made at my expense.

So far, though, I can't actually discern any plot. It is purely his style that keeps me reading, and his style is just so pance-creamin' good for a nerd of my type.

However, based on what I've established from having read his short stories, I fully expect that finishing it will be kind of like being kicked in the ass.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cain on January 30, 2008, 03:01:39 PM

Just managed to download a copy, along with a few others of his books (Zodiac, Big U) as well.

rrraahh i so gotta read more stuff by Stephenson!

(but don't bother with the ebooks, Cain, until i own one of those kindle thingies, i'm not gonna read a book off a screen)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Quote from: triple zero on January 30, 2008, 03:29:50 PM
Quote from: Cain on January 30, 2008, 03:01:39 PM

rrraahh i so gotta read more stuff by Stephenson!

(but don't bother with the ebooks, Cain, until i own one of those kindle thingies, i'm not gonna read a book off a screen)

Pfft, your loss.

Cain,
tearing through 5 GB of text for free. :p

Triple Zero

it probably helps that you can do it on a laptop, though.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Cain

Triple Zero

i don't think i'd ever leave my bed if i had a laptop .. :-/

Jasper

Yeah, I've got a Sony reader that's served well enough.  I hate Sony, but I haven't found a good replacement yet.  All the others are DRMed, lack features, or just aren't fast enough.