News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

Richter's Spag - Along Workshop

Started by Richter, February 27, 2009, 02:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

Had one set up at the previous living space.  (Family property which I still visit frequently.)  I made many fun things with it, like lockpicks, or repurposed knives for the folks.  Job moved elsewhere, though.

In a sick way, I like using a file.  It's easier to control.   
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Richter

Current project:  Crowbar Interrupted.

I wanted to make a heavy bush craft knife, but existing blades / knives get expensive.  GOOD steel for making one is also cost - prohibitive. 
A while back Raphaella mentioned cutting a knife out of a cheap pry bar, and I found one of the right dimensions.

Kind of twisted, but buying the hardened / springy piece of steel that's been made into a tool, and destroying it, is cheaper than buying an equivalent piece of much - lower quality steel  :|

It's a bitch cutting one of those without annealing (softening) the steel first, but I don't have the facilities at hand to re-harden and temper it afterward.  (File / grinding wheel time.)

Edit: spelling
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Richter

Suu asked if I could make a gorget (neck armor) for her fencing kit.  No process photos, since it was a few hours of cutting, adjusting, and fitting leather and metal to the right dimensions and "feel".  Armor is tricky, so being able to tell the end user "try this, how does it fit?" after every adjustment was ideal.  Anyone I don't know / like is getting charged an arm and a leg for this kind of service.

Finished product.

WILL IT BLEND?  THAT IS THE QUESTION.

Ye side view.

Suu

The test run is tonight.

If I don't die, a review will be posted tomorrow.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Gorget a success. I took one right to the throat tonight and I would probably have died of a crushed trachea.

Fuck I wish I was lying, it was WAY too hard. :( Thanks to Richter I'm still alive!

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Richter

Richter

Progress on Crowbar - Interrupted. I've got the shape roughed out, and the bevel ground onto the straight portion of the edge.  Time ran up at the nearest bench grinder, so I'm back to the file. 

Richter

Time for a break from knives, so tonight I took a page from Suu's book and got my textile on.   
Here's the result, an ascot made from a Salvation Army tie, and some silk I rescued from the discount bin awhile back.

SNAKE!

I feel pretty.  I intend to rock this, with vest, at the office.

chaoflux

gotta say I am impressed with this thread, good works man  :)
yall are bigger dorks than I am

Richter

Thankya!  Just a bit of whatever I felt like working up  :)

Suu

I say, sir, you do look mighty fine.

LMNO

That's an extremely good picture of you, Richter.

Richter

Thanks!

LMNO: your comments about dressing up nice being damn well enjoyable; this episode was solid proof of that to me.
I think I'll wear that to the next convention. :mrgreen:

Rev. Barabbas KSC

Excellent stuff... I especially like that you use "found objects" for your art. I took a jewelry class in college and I just loved working with the metal. Cheers!
--------
The High Pope Reverend Barabbas Baggins Calrissian KSC

Honey

Outstanding!  (oh yeah & I uhh like that tie too)
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell