News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

So this is weird and kind of cool

Started by East Coast Hustle, February 07, 2014, 10:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

I'm not entirely sure specifically how I feel about it yet but I find it incredibly intriguing.

http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/crowdsourcing-the-future/Content?oid=11668474
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Junkenstein

Nice find. Can't say exactly how I feel about it either at the moment. I've got "BAD" going around in my head but I can't yet get out why.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Reginald Ret

Aw fuck they are really doing it.

Quote from: http://www.amazon.com/The-Unincorporated-Man-Dani-Kollin/dp/B005DI93O8(...)a civilization in which every individual is formed into a legal corporation at birth, and spends many years trying to attain control over their own life by getting a majority of his or her own shares.

If people have to take fiction as a guide to the future then why can't they use Walden Two or something more positive for that? Oh well, it will be better than the current trend towards combining 1984 with Brave New World.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Community... monetized! A Libertarian's wet dream! Now every person's intrinsic value can be judged by the price of their stock.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Sacs on February 07, 2014, 06:36:41 PM
Community... monetized! A Libertarian's wet dream! Now every person's intrinsic value can be judged by the price of their stock.

THIS. This is what is fucking wrong with this.

Project this forward and you've got a value from birth that can be constantly tracked. Who owns 100% of you from birth? Well it won't be you, parents if you're lucky and you can bet the state will get a chunk to ensure school attendance etc.

The concept opens up worlds of horror, I've been thinking about this a lot today and it's giving me serious fucking chills.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Wizard Joseph

A fascinating concept, it gives me the  :lulz: but it all went to  :horrormirth: when it occurred to me that if publicly traded the dude might just lose his majority holdings in himself to a shareholder with a willingness to sue over profitability. Kinda like Rockefeller vs. Hughes but even more absurd and just maybe able to set an even worse precedent. Hughes went bankrupt trying to fight the suit and ultimately lost control of his airline. Slavery a piece at a time, except you are selling yourself into it.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Bu🤠ns

OOOoooo we could then tie it in to Facebook "Likes"

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Bu☆ns on February 08, 2014, 03:59:01 PM
OOOoooo we could then tie it in to Facebook "Likes"
Not the same thing, the point here is that the owners of shares in you would be interested only in the value of their stock so would only vote for things that increase your monetairy value.
Monetizing the value of a person is horrible enough, but assuming that people are independent actors with rational self-interest is so mindbogglingly stupid only an economist could believe it.

I am trying to imagine the long term psychological effects of never being expected to think about your future in this particular way or being allowed to make your own choices and i can't really get a clear picture. All I know is that it will be horrible.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

East Coast Hustle

See, you guys are all taking it in a direction I wasn't even thinking. I was looking at it more from a "personal choice vs. the wisdom of the collective" angle, which makes a little more sense given that in the article it's specified that these guys are deciding what they even want to put up for a "board vote" in the first place.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Junkenstein

I hate to pull it, but the slippery slope argument has got to apply here. The more of "you" you sell, the less choice you'll have in the decisions, and even the decisions that get to be decided on. Mainly because some other guy will be out there hunting for fame and offering to go that little bit further. Fuck, if it catches on employers would want to "own" a certain degree to force your attendance and work. Values fluctuate on performance.

Ask enough assholes, you'll get a general consensus of the best thing to do. I see no need to relate a financial value or stake to such things and doing so seems like the start of capitalism on crack. When a human has a literal value the world's become a pretty fucking worthless place.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on February 08, 2014, 06:28:14 PM
See, you guys are all taking it in a direction I wasn't even thinking. I was looking at it more from a "personal choice vs. the wisdom of the collective" angle, which makes a little more sense given that in the article it's specified that these guys are deciding what they even want to put up for a "board vote" in the first place.

I think I get what you're getting at then. A person could do a lot of growing being essentially required to hear out a board on any topic they (or the board ftm) put up for vote. Especially if the folks on the board have a  relatively impersonal stake. They may give a bit of objectivity to the decisions being made. Seems an over-complicated, paperwork intensive, and legally nebulous way to do it, but if those don't matter it could be a bunch of fun! Sounds like these guys are pretty stoked.

When I have a personal choice problem I try to fix it simple and cheap. Coin toss or other randomizer.  Not to make the decision per se and not often. That would be silly. I look at the result and think like it's final. If this result still bother's be emotionally or I suddenly see a flaw I might have missed I go the other way or wait on making the choice for a bit longer.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Salty

We make most of our decisions based on some kind of social pressure or larger societal obligation as it is.

Giving up control like that, and following through is probably as good for people as it is difficult. An interesting idea.

I would wager the end results would leave people as satisfied, if not moreso, with their lives as when they make their own choices. Plus, if it goes wrong, you have a clear path to lay the blame.

I am very indecisive, myself. Often doing things that limit my options leave me happier because I make the most of what I got. When a whole universe of options are available I freeze up.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

whenhellfreezes

Quote from: Alty on February 09, 2014, 01:47:02 AM
We make most of our decisions based on some kind of social pressure or larger societal obligation as it is.

Giving up control like that, and following through is probably as good for people as it is difficult. An interesting idea.

I would wager the end results would leave people as satisfied, if not moreso, with their lives as when they make their own choices. Plus, if it goes wrong, you have a clear path to lay the blame.

I am very indecisive, myself. Often doing things that limit my options leave me happier because I make the most of what I got. When a whole universe of options are available I freeze up.

Yea I agree here though you always need to leave open the option to look for more options.

East Coast Hustle

The more I think about this, the more I realize that not only were the alarmists absolutely right, but that these guys just created the future, right now, and it's actually far simpler, far more elegant, and FAR FAR FAR more horrifying than anything I ever thought the future could be.

Shit.