News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

Norton

Started by Arafelis, June 12, 2009, 10:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arafelis

(k) me
reduced, but not yet deconstructed.
assaulted, perhaps.
-----
When he was born, his face -- still covered in blood -- was so beatific that his doctor, a long-time atheist, converted to Islam.  She ultimately championed an interpretation of the Koran that promoted men and women as equal before God.  One of the nurses became a priest, although his career was more typical.

Norton's family was not wealthy, and he grew up halfway between the suburbs and the gutter.  He was approached one day by a bum who asked him for some change.

"           ", said Norton.  "                                               ."

During the "bum's" first term in office, crime and homelessness decreased exponentially and the school systems threw out standardized testing.  However, the quality of the work being published in the school paper and by the AV club was such that their students never had trouble receiving scholarships.  Over the next few years, other schools (in the area and elsewhere) adopted the new model.  Roughly fifteen years later, Norton's country swept the Nobel Prize awards.  The "coincidence" was heavily remarked upon, but it was becoming quite well known that the educational system was the best in the world.

By this time Norton had worked several jobs.  He couldn't seem to do anything for more than a few months at a time, but everywhere he went, change followed.  The CEO of a fast food joint Norton was employed with once, offhandedly during a regional tour, commented on how hard he (the CEO) had worked to get ahead in the world, to which Norton replied, "                                                        ."  Two weeks later, the CEO announced a complete restructuring of the company in which many management positions were eliminated, pay was largely standardized across the entire corporation, and most workers were covered under a massively comprehensive healthcare program.  As the stock value dropped steadily, the CEO bought out majority control and then began distributing shares among the workers, who by and large became the new board of trustees.  Despite the Wall Street predictions that it would close within a year, beneficial partnerships somehow materialized with shipping and agricultural interests that allowed the company to sell much higher-quality food than it had previously at competitive prices.  Wall Street, ever a crowd of sheep looking for a shepard, began to trumpet the value of motivating and partnerizing the employees, and incorporated extensive quotations from Marx, Engels, Bakunin, and their heirs.

Of course, by this time Norton had moved on.  And on again.

Each small change swept outward on a tide of improbability, in apparently blatant denial of entropy.  Industrial plants became cleaner, virtually completely automated, able to acquire and distribute goods for such little material investment as to gradually force a refocusing in the private sector on a service-based economy.  Legions of new teachers appeared, freed from menial jobs they had once had to pursue the dreams they had always nurtured of helping others help themselves.  Craftwork experienced a resurgence; though basic goods were available to all for virtually nothing, the market demanded the innovative and unique, and artisans sprang up to supply it.

And through it all, Norton's face gradually became known.  As "traditional" jobs waned, Norton became a vagabond, wandering from place to place and speaking at universities, synagogues, town halls -- wherever people gathered and wished to hear him speak.  His speeches were not long, and it seemed that everyone who heard one heard something a little different.  Recording devices were notoriously unreliable, too... sometimes among five devices, one would record a high-pitched squealing as though it had broken, three would record fragmentary speech that didn't appear to match up at all, and the last might later be heard to contain something akin to singing.  It became almost a game among some people to bring as many devices as they could to see what they could get from Norton's speeches.

He had a following, of course, but people would rarely stay for too long.  A year, perhaps, or two or three.  The seriously mentally ill would often stay the longest, yet they always seemed, somehow, to stabilize, to grow to a peaceful understanding of their different view of the world.  Once he was asked:

"i never know where i'm going to BE tomorrow you know.  know?  and so i can never go back to where i was because if i do it's going to be completely not... the same at all.  ...know?  you?  and so, it's so itchy, it's so itchy... it's so itchy.  you know?"

And Norton said: "                              ."

The young lady who asked him that soon after became a dancer.  She rarely spoke aloud, although she did seem to be holding a conversation under her breath almost all the time, but her strange style, jerky yet graceful, inspired an entire movement of imitators.  Of flatterers.

At the age of 32, Norton appeared in a town square.  Everyone nearby looked up, happy, patient, expectantly.  Norton drew something from his pocket -- it appeared to be a gun.  He pointed it up at the sky, pulled the trigger... a flag unfurled, saying, "BANG!"  Most of the people smiled, but few laughed aloud.  Norton himself smiled, pushing the flag back into the gun, resetting it.  He then put it to the side of his head and gave his last speech.  He said:

"One must have chaos..."

Pulling the trigger a second time, the sharpened pole buried itself deeply into Norton's brain, entering through a hole he had trepanned into his own skull for exactly that purpose, killing him instantly.  When the flag was later removed, onlookers wondered at the virtually perfect five-pointed bloody star directly in the center.
"OTOH, I shook up your head...I must be doing something right.What's wrong with schisms?  Malaclypse the younger DID say "Discordians need to DISORGANIZE."  If my babbling causes a few sparks, well hell...it beats having us backslide into our own little greyness." - The Good Reverend Roger

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Thurnez Isa

we need an emote for a sarcastic wow
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on June 13, 2009, 10:03:58 PM
we need an emote for a sarcastic wow

This is where we get vampire novelists.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

BabylonHoruv

Um, Arafelis does realize Norton was a real person right?
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on June 16, 2009, 10:08:15 AM

Hard to tell.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Arafelis

Wow!  And here I chose the name out of a hat completely unaware of the significance.  How random is that?

Norton was my last name;
My first was Joshua
When I lost the rice game
I just wouldn't wash uuuuh-
p!
King me.
"OTOH, I shook up your head...I must be doing something right.What's wrong with schisms?  Malaclypse the younger DID say "Discordians need to DISORGANIZE."  If my babbling causes a few sparks, well hell...it beats having us backslide into our own little greyness." - The Good Reverend Roger

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Arafelis on June 17, 2009, 12:06:19 AM

Wow!  And here I chose the name out of a hat completely unaware of the significance.  How random is that?

Norton was my last name;
My first was Joshua
When I lost the rice game
I just wouldn't wash uuuuh-
p!
King me.

My assumption, due to the way you pretty much ignored the real Josh Norton, was that you picked the name from the Principia or a similar Discordian source and were treating him like Malaclypse the Elder, as a fictional character to play around with.

-Dok Howl

Arafelis

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on June 17, 2009, 12:20:53 AM
My assumption, due to the way you pretty much ignored the real Josh Norton, was that you picked the name from the Principia or a similar Discordian source and were treating him like Malaclypse the Elder, as a fictional character to play around with.

Nah.  It's like writing a story about the underground railroad and naming one of the characters Moses.

Also, I think one of the first times I heard of the dude was in Sandman.  Good story.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Arafelis on June 17, 2009, 12:40:38 AM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on June 17, 2009, 12:20:53 AM

Nah.  It's like writing a story about the underground railroad and naming one of the characters Moses.

Also, I think one of the first times I heard of the dude was in Sandman.  Good story.

That's where i first met him too.

-Dok Howl

Telarus

Be like Norton.

He no dead.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!