News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

This is why I love politics

Started by Cain, January 09, 2010, 09:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/30/auschwitz-sign-stolen-terror-plot

QuoteIt sounds like the plot of a Steig Larsson thriller: a band of eastern European criminals is contracted to steal an iconic piece of Nazi memorabilia, which is then sold to a mysterious collector to finance a neofascist bomb attack on the Swedish parliament.

But today it emerged that Swedish investigators are helping Polish detectives investigate the theft of the sign from Auschwitz, amid reports that the robbery was linked to a rightwing terror plot.

The wrought iron plaque reading Arbeit Macht Frei (work sets you free) which spanned the entrance at the former Nazi death camp was wrenched from the gate on 18 December, and recovered three days later, cut into three pieces, in a forest in northern Poland.

The robbery prompted Poland to declare a state of emergency, and provoked impassioned calls for the sign's return from concentration camp survivors and the Israeli prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu.

The five men being held in police custody in Krakow in connection with the theft have been described by Polish prosecutors as common criminals who had apparently acted for financial gain.

But according to the Swedish daily Aftonbladet, the men were contracted by a neo-Nazi group which planned to sell it on to a third party, a foreign rightwing extremist or collector of Nazi memorabilia, with the aim of using the funds to finance a string of attacks in Stockholm.

Boguslawa Marcinkowska, the spokeswoman for the public prosecutor's office in krakow, said: "The evidence that we have so far points to there being links with Sweden". Polish state television TVP1 quoted official sources saying that Swedish neo-Nazis were behind the theft.

Poland's justice minister, Krzysztof Kwiatkowski, said: "The investigations have taken on a much broader dimension than we had initially thought".

The Swedish justice ministry has confirmed that it is helping the Polish police with investigations after the state prosecutor's office in Krakow lodged an official application asking for its help.

Separately, the Swedish security service Säpo, confirmed that it was investigating an alleged neo-Nazi plot to blow up the Riksdagen, the parliament building in Stockholm, as well as the foreign ministry and the home of the prime minister, Fredrik Reinfeldt. The aim of the plot, according to Säpo, was to create as much disruption as possible ahead of the 2010 parliamentary elections. It would not confirm or deny reports of a possible connection between the plot and the Auschwitz sign theft.

Seriously, you couldn't make this shit up.

Elder Iptuous

is Riksdagen the same thing as Reichstag?
do you think they were perhaps planning on pinning it with a false flag?

Cain

I would hope a false flag op could at least find better methods of funding than this.  Like, I dunno, mugging old ladies or dealing drugs or pretending to be an investment bank or something.

If it was Norway, I might be more suspicious.  They were in with NATO, and thus Gladio, giving institutional links between Neo-Nazis and intelligence services.  But Sweden is, EU membership aside, teh neutral, and so the same sort of links never really proliferated.  Also, I know Sweden has a massive problem with Neo-Nazi biker gangs, who are pretty deadly and nearly impossible to infiltrate (like most hardcore biker gangs).  They're the sort of people who break into military bases and steal rocket launchers, so yeah, a bombing isn't out of the question.