News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

Introductions, part V: Don't Say We Never Warned You.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, July 18, 2012, 05:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: LMNO on October 15, 2015, 10:07:07 PM
Don't listen to that filthy ghost-peddler.  There is naught but the screaming void as you shriek yourself to sleep.

:lulz:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on October 15, 2015, 10:07:07 PM
Don't listen to that filthy ghost-peddler.  There is naught but the screaming void as you shriek yourself to sleep.

Optimist.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Rembo

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 15, 2015, 10:03:01 PM

...I believe that people should believe whatever they believe.  It's only when they insist that I should believe what they believe that things get messy....

THAT BEING SAID:  To mock other people for their beliefs is fine and good.  So long as you don't mind being mocked yourself.

I am in agreement with your point concerning anyone's right to believe what they want, as long as they do not try to impose their beliefs upon others.

However, I find it difficult not to assign a higher value to a philosophy (cosmology, view on reality,whatevah) that leaves itself open to differing opinions, and, most of all, to falsification. At the very least over more static and dogmatic worldviews.

I realize that this is just an opinion, and that all 'value' is definined strictly in human terms, yet I am loathe to give it up, for fear of nihilism.

Nihilism doesn't exactly help me be a 'good person'...
The Hills in Discordia are Thornly...

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Rembo on October 16, 2015, 08:49:19 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 15, 2015, 10:03:01 PM

...I believe that people should believe whatever they believe.  It's only when they insist that I should believe what they believe that things get messy....

THAT BEING SAID:  To mock other people for their beliefs is fine and good.  So long as you don't mind being mocked yourself.

I am in agreement with your point concerning anyone's right to believe what they want, as long as they do not try to impose their beliefs upon others.

However, I find it difficult not to assign a higher value to a philosophy (cosmology, view on reality,whatevah) that leaves itself open to differing opinions, and, most of all, to falsification. At the very least over more static and dogmatic worldviews.

I realize that this is just an opinion, and that all 'value' is definined strictly in human terms, yet I am loathe to give it up, for fear of nihilism.

Nihilism doesn't exactly help me be a 'good person'...

It's possible for someone to be just the right fit for a wacky belief, though. The measure of whether a belief is working for a person is literally "is this belief working for them?" If it's making them a colossal douchecanoe, then that shit ain't working. But what makes one person an asshole may be the one thing keeping another asshole from hurting other people.

Rembo

Hmm. Interesting thought Q. G. Pennyworth. One I can find myself agreeing with if the definition of 'hurting other people' is broad enough to include, for example, keeping people from information about the world around them. Wether this be by keeping the information from them, or by trying to keep them from developing the mental tools required to obtain or process the info...

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Rembo on October 16, 2015, 02:42:32 PM
Hmm. Interesting thought Q. G. Pennyworth. One I can find myself agreeing with if the definition of 'hurting other people' is broad enough to include, for example, keeping people from information about the world around them. Wether this be by keeping the information from them, or by trying to keep them from developing the mental tools required to obtain or process the info...

Yeah, if your young earth creationism makes you fuck with school curriculum, that's definitely "douchecanoe" territory.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rembo on October 16, 2015, 02:42:32 PM

I believe I made it clear that the moment a person fucks with the life of another person, all the amusing toleration ends.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

However, I find it difficult not to assign a higher value to a philosophy (cosmology, view on reality,whatevah) that leaves itself open to differing opinions, and, most of all, to falsification.

Belief in god(s) is by definition not falsifiable.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 16, 2015, 06:45:32 PM

However, I find it difficult not to assign a higher value to a philosophy (cosmology, view on reality,whatevah) that leaves itself open to differing opinions, and, most of all, to falsification.

Right, he's saying that he places more value in views that ARE falsifiable.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 16, 2015, 07:12:49 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 16, 2015, 06:45:32 PM

Right, he's saying that he places more value in views that ARE falsifiable.

Okay, missed that.  But that's what he places value in.  He's implied that some beliefs are acceptable (Deism), and that some beliefs are not (weird shit like 7th Day Adventism, etc). 

What I am trying to say is that beliefs are not chosen from a menu.  People have them or they don't.  My toleration ends when someone feels that their beliefs exceed the rights and choices of another, whether that implies violence, legislation, or social marginalization.

Rembo

If I came across as saying that (let's run with the example) 7th day adventism is an unacceptable viewpoint to me, then, my bad.
It unacceptable FOR me  :lol: personally. What they do with their brains is their business.
I wish them nothing but the best.
(which, imo would include a slightly more rational worldview, but hey, that's just me. who gives a damn about my opinion, anyway?)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rembo on October 16, 2015, 11:14:20 PM
If I came across as saying that (let's run with the example) 7th day adventism is an unacceptable viewpoint to me, then, my bad.
It unacceptable FOR me  :lol: personally. What they do with their brains is their business.
I wish them nothing but the best.
(which, imo would include a slightly more rational worldview, but hey, that's just me. who gives a damn about my opinion, anyway?)

Okay.  Apologies if I misread you.

Rembo

None needed! I am quite a bit more thick skinned than that!

Especially in such a mirthful environment!

Nice roof, btw...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rembo on October 17, 2015, 12:17:47 AM
None needed! I am quite a bit more thick skinned than that!

Especially in such a mirthful environment!

Nice roof, btw...

I wouldn't know.  I was here long before that prank started.

thewake

oh

this is where I introduce myself

I'm thewake. I derive my forum handle from Hereward the Wake, who's wikipedia page is very interesting if you're inclined to read it. I'm American, in particularly a Southerner. I'm a senior in college. I will refrain from describing my appearance, as this is not a dating website.

I discovered this site because it has a copy of the principia discordia on it, which I still couldn't make myself read online so I had to order a physical copy. A very interesting book. I was first exposed to the idea of Discordianism when reading Radicals for Capitalism, a history of the modern American libertarian movement. Kerry Thornley (Lord Omar) was apparently somewhat involved in early libertarianism. I read the book quite awhile ago though, and a "serious" interest in discordianism has been piqued rather more recently.

I believe my own intellectual development has prepared me to be receptive to the ideas of Discordianism. I've been an agnostic atheist (closeted, so don't tell my mom ;) ) since I was a junior in high school. I've read some of Camus, and I consider life to probably have no inherent meaning although who really knows?? I'm also a moral subjectivist or something of that sort. I'm an economics major and have been influenced by Friedman as well as the Austrian school. I rather like the Austrian school's emphasis on the limits of human knowledge (applied particularly to economics here) but I wouldn't consider myself one of them. And Alan Watts is really cool to listen to when I'm stoned out of my mind, so there's that. His opinions on death have been very enlightening, as someone who has struggled with coming to terms with the idea of dying and ceasing to exist.

I believe all knowledge is probably provisional, even the knowledge that all things are provisional.

"It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull."
--H. L. Mencken