News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

Roger/Waffle pointlessly pushing iron up in the air thread (warning: geekery)

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, August 26, 2014, 08:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's not weight lifting, but I started back to swimming today.

I'm in even worse shape than I thought I was.

I'm going to add a lap every time I swim until I'm back up to 32 laps.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 08, 2015, 07:10:52 AM

Swimming is harder than weight lifting, IMO.
Molon Lube

Cainad (dec.)

In exercise news, my kendo (Japanese swordfighting) class did our annual 1000 practice swings last night. As in, we hefted a 39-inch, 500 gram bamboo stick over our heads and swung it forward and back 1000 times, while trying maintain proper grip and posture.

My arms are filing for divorce.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 08, 2015, 02:15:14 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 08, 2015, 07:10:52 AM

Swimming is harder than weight lifting, IMO.

It sure kicked my ass. But if I add a lap every time I swim I should be back to where I was in about 7 weeks. I have a microfiber towel so that I can just carry my whole swim kit in a ziploc bag in the bottom of my backpack.

No wonder I've gained so much weight since my surgery... I had to stop swimming at the time, and then I somehow just never got back to it. This should take care of a host of issues, including my blood pressure.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

EK WAFFLR

Goddamn. I love swimming. There's no place nearby where I can indulge though. Maybe it's time to take up ice swimming.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hello Waffles on January 09, 2015, 03:23:53 PM
Goddamn. I love swimming. There's no place nearby where I can indulge though. Maybe it's time to take up ice swimming.

Swimming is my favorite!

Round 2 today. I added 3 laps to my previous swim time, and swam for 20 minutes. I'll be sore tomorrow! If I can add 3 laps per session, I should be back up to a mile in no time.

rong

I think there's also a neurological component to lifting.  That is, you can only try[\i] as hard as your brain and nerves will allow.

To put it another way, if you transplant a power lifter's brain into a pipsqueak's body, he/she could easily break bones or tear ligaments just by flexing.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: rong on January 10, 2015, 03:31:53 AM
I think there's also a neurological component to lifting.  That is, you can only try[\i] as hard as your brain and nerves will allow.

To put it another way, if you transplant a power lifter's brain into a pipsqueak's body, he/she could easily break bones or tear ligaments just by flexing.

If you mean that you can surpass the body's abilities by trying too hard, that's well-documented.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000473.htm

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 10, 2015, 04:56:56 AM

If you mean that you can surpass the body's abilities by trying too hard, that's well-documented.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000473.htm

"Uncle Rhabdo the Clown" (from a Crossfit newsletter)

Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Bruno

Yeah, I think there is a neurological component. Newbs neurons just won't fire hard enough, or activate enough fibers or what not.
Formerly something else...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Emo Howard on January 28, 2015, 04:44:11 PM

Yeah, I think there is a neurological component. Newbs neurons just won't fire hard enough, or activate enough fibers or what not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMT4PtXRCVA

Bruno

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 28, 2015, 09:51:12 PM
Quote from: Emo Howard on January 28, 2015, 04:44:11 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMT4PtXRCVA

Yes, that.
Formerly something else...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There is a neurological component to everything we do, technically.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 29, 2015, 04:49:48 PM
There is a neurological component to everything we do, technically.

Not me.

Dok,
Head's all empty, we don't care.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel