News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

Peleo thoughts.

Started by Salty, April 10, 2013, 07:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Due to my irritation with the "Maybe it's gluten!" crowd, I have been pondering inventing some food intolerance, but it has to be to something that's incredibly common and incredibly innocuous, that isn't already a thing.

Turns out, sugar, whey, fat, nightshades, corn, etc. have all been done. I don't think anyone's done rice yet, but it's got the lead thing going on and also it's a grain. I considered olive oil, but that's too easy to avoid.

Then it struck me... ALLIUMS. I don't think anyone's done alliums yet. This is a super-plausible one, because they are lilies, and many lilies are poisonous. It goes without saying that they're inflammatory. Further, lots of things are flavored with onions and garlic and chives and scallions and shallots and leeks, and avoiding them altogether will make food bland and suck.

PLUS

a fair number of people actually do have serious allergic reactions to alliums (GOD LIFE MUST SUCK FOR THEM!) just like there are people with severe gluten intolerances and allergies. So, to support my "OMG are you sure it isn't alliums???" campaign, I can point people to existing forums and articles on allium allergy.

I will call this new food problem "Allium Sensitivity".

I plan to use it to troll glutard forums, telling them that I thought my problems were caused by gluten but it turned out I'm Allium Sensitive. I will be the special flower. They will all want to be me.

WATCH OUT, WORLD. MOVE OVER, "NIGHTSHADE SENSITIVES". A NEW DIETARY CRAZE IS COMING YOUR WAY.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

You could also go with purines.

Nominally, they can cause gout in large doses, but you could claim SUPER GOUT, because purines are in just about anything you eat.

Salty

hxxp://paleohacks.com/#axzz2QAh9Z1CG

Here's a good place to start. Same people who made the infographic.

This guy

hxxp://paleodietlifestyle.com/

is where I found most of the information that wasn't a complete moron with a blog. One gem I found went like:

"If you have strong PETA morals, just forgo dairy altogether."

WAT.

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 11, 2013, 05:08:17 PM
Due to my irritation with the "Maybe it's gluten!" crowd, I have been pondering inventing some food intolerance, but it has to be to something that's incredibly common and incredibly innocuous, that isn't already a thing.

Turns out, sugar, whey, fat, nightshades, corn, etc. have all been done. I don't think anyone's done rice yet, but it's got the lead thing going on and also it's a grain. I considered olive oil, but that's too easy to avoid.

Then it struck me... ALLIUMS. I don't think anyone's done alliums yet. This is a super-plausible one, because they are lilies, and many lilies are poisonous. It goes without saying that they're inflammatory. Further, lots of things are flavored with onions and garlic and chives and scallions and shallots and leeks, and avoiding them altogether will make food bland and suck.

PLUS

a fair number of people actually do have serious allergic reactions to alliums (GOD LIFE MUST SUCK FOR THEM!) just like there are people with severe gluten intolerances and allergies. So, to support my "OMG are you sure it isn't alliums???" campaign, I can point people to existing forums and articles on allium allergy.

I plan to use it to troll glutard forums, telling them that I thought my problems were caused by gluten but it turned out I'm Allium Sensitive. I will be the special flower. They will all want to be me.

WATCH OUT, WORLD. MOVE OVER, "NIGHTSHADE SENSITIVES". A NEW DIETARY CRAZE IS COMING YOUR WAY.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

What drives me crazy about these people is they take one good thing (animal fat is good for you) and twist it into something they can possibly go on book tour and sell OMGTSHIRTS and shit with.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Salty

Another thought:

I found recommendations to:

1. Exercise. (But no long distance running, short sprints instead)
2. Get enough sleep.
3. Don't use an alarm clock.

Now, the 2nd being common sense and the 3rd being flat out stupid...

No long distances? Why? BECAUSE YOU NEED COMPLEX CARBS TO RUN LONG DISTANCES ZOMG. You need complex carbs to do many of the things that humans do every day. Like I said, the moon.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 11, 2013, 05:13:49 PM
You could also go with purines.

Nominally, they can cause gout in large doses, but you could claim SUPER GOUT, because purines are in just about anything you eat.

OOOOOH THIS IS GOOD

The "purine free diet". Because purines fuck up your metabolism and the flow of chi, making you fat and sluggish.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Alty on April 11, 2013, 05:16:29 PM
hxxp://paleohacks.com/#axzz2QAh9Z1CG

Here's a good place to start. Same people who made the infographic.

This guy

hxxp://paleodietlifestyle.com/

is where I found most of the information that wasn't a complete moron with a blog. One gem I found went like:

"If you have strong PETA morals, just forgo dairy altogether."

WAT.

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 11, 2013, 05:08:17 PM

PLUS

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

What drives me crazy about these people is they take one good thing (animal fat is good for you) and twist it into something they can possibly go on book tour and sell OMGTSHIRTS and shit with.

NAILED IT

Salty

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Salty

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 11, 2013, 07:30:08 PM
Quote from: Alty on April 11, 2013, 07:10:03 PM
http://thepaleodiet.com/dr-loren-cordain/

Ah, here's The Guy.

MAKIN MONEY, MAKIN MONEY, OOOOH YEAH!

Who needs peer reviewed research with repeatable findings when you can make heaping gobs of CASH instead?

Dr. Loren Cordain is a god damned hero.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

So on the Paleo thing... I know a guy that does it, he's a lot less fat and appears more healthy.. but maybe had he just gone on a normal balanced diet it would be the same... I dunno. Weston Price... I sat through a 6 week course taught by their foundation (I was managing the tech stuff). It's very interesting, I think it has some really interesting views and some likely valid points. However, I never got the feeling that it was peer reviewed kind of interesting, more just very thought provoking.

Weston Price was a dentist in the early 20rh century, he travled to a lot of places where native groups were switching over from their traditional diets to modern mass produced diets. He noticed that on the space of a generation, tooth health, tooth crowding, jaw shape etc appeared to be changing. He blamed it on the new foods. Cold pressed oil replacing lard, natural grains being replaced by extruded cereals or processed grains.

I think the stuff is really interesting, but I'm still not convinced its not snake oil. Though the review of how Crisco replaced Lard was very interesting. I did not know Crisco was crystallized cottonseed oil... Ewwww
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Salty

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on April 11, 2013, 07:47:57 PM
So on the Paleo thing... I know a guy that does it, he's a lot less fat and appears more healthy.. but maybe had he just gone on a normal balanced diet it would be the same... I dunno. Weston Price... I sat through a 6 week course taught by their foundation (I was managing the tech stuff). It's very interesting, I think it has some really interesting views and some likely valid points. However, I never got the feeling that it was peer reviewed kind of interesting, more just very thought provoking.

Weston Price was a dentist in the early 20rh century, he travled to a lot of places where native groups were switching over from their traditional diets to modern mass produced diets. He noticed that on the space of a generation, tooth health, tooth crowding, jaw shape etc appeared to be changing. He blamed it on the new foods. Cold pressed oil replacing lard, natural grains being replaced by extruded cereals or processed grains.

I think the stuff is really interesting, but I'm still not convinced its not snake oil. Though the review of how Crisco replaced Lard was very interesting. I did not know Crisco was crystallized cottonseed oil... Ewwww

I don't think Weston was selling snake oil either. That man HOOFED it.

Q. G. Pennyworth

In defense of the "maybe it's gluten" crowd, my kinda-step-daughter was hospitalized for two months before a family member finally suggested that the doctors check for celiac's.

Pergamos

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on April 11, 2013, 08:04:40 PM
In defense of the "maybe it's gluten" crowd, my kinda-step-daughter was hospitalized for two months before a family member finally suggested that the doctors check for celiac's.

Well yeah, sometimes it is Gluten, and sometimes it's Allium

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on April 11, 2013, 08:04:40 PM

Some people do, in fact, have a life-threatening reaction to gluten.

Some people have a life-threatening reaction to allium. I have a friend who does.

Neither of those facts are a reason for half the population to become obsessed with cutting gluten and allium out of their diets as a magical cure-all.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have a life-threatening allergy to honeydew melon. That would be a really stupid reason for everyone else on earth to quit eating cucurbits...