News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

Spiders: How do they work?

Started by Kurt Christ, August 05, 2010, 07:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurt Christ

Over this summer, I've found three wolf spiders in my house. All of them were found in either my sink or bathtub, so at first I thought they might be crawling up the drain, but a Google search seemed to indicate that it is more likely they fell in from above and couldn't get out. This most likely means there are more wolf spiders that have not been retarded enough to get stuck in a porcelain tomb. I have never seen them inside here before (they're not an indoor spider, really), and I don't think there have been any significant changes in anything around the house. Is there anything anyone (Kai) can think of that would make them more likely to come inside this summer than others?
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

The Johnny

Quote from: Vartox on August 05, 2010, 07:18:53 PM
Over this summer, I've found three wolf spiders in my house. All of them were found in either my sink or bathtub, so at first I thought they might be crawling up the drain, but a Google search seemed to indicate that it is more likely they fell in from above and couldn't get out. This most likely means there are more wolf spiders that have not been retarded enough to get stuck in a porcelain tomb. I have never seen them inside here before (they're not an indoor spider, really), and I don't think there have been any significant changes in anything around the house. Is there anything anyone (Kai) can think of that would make them more likely to come inside this summer than others?

To nest in your toilet. 

So their babies have stuff to drink.

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Has it rained a lot lately?  I get a lot of spiders coming into the house at springtime, looking to escape the various mini-floods my garden is subjected to throughout the March-June quarter.

Kurt Christ

Quote from: Cain on August 05, 2010, 10:24:54 PM
Has it rained a lot lately?  I get a lot of spiders coming into the house at springtime, looking to escape the various mini-floods my garden is subjected to throughout the March-June quarter.
That's probably it. We have had more rain than is typical for summer around here lately.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

Kai

Get rid of the food supply. No insects to eat, no spiders interested in sticking around.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't know, but on Tuesday EFO, EoS and I determined that all spiders are named "Enrique".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Nigel on August 06, 2010, 12:44:07 AM
I don't know, but on Tuesday EFO, EoS and I determined that all spiders are named "Enrique".

Personally I'd have picked a feminine name.  To me all spiders are female.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Kurt Christ

Quote from: Kai on August 05, 2010, 11:26:05 PM
Get rid of the food supply. No insects to eat, no spiders interested in sticking around.
Attempts have been made at this, but the bugs are tenacious bastards. We're wary of being too heavy handed with the poison because we have a small dog that lives here.

Kai

Quote from: Vartox on August 06, 2010, 03:42:54 AM
Quote from: Kai on August 05, 2010, 11:26:05 PM
Attempts have been made at this, but the bugs are tenacious bastards. We're wary of being too heavy handed with the poison because we have a small dog that lives here.

How to get rid of the insects? Get rid of THEIR food supply. Keep your house clean. It does wonders.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

DiscoUkulele

Fuckin shoot this all up in their shit. Kill the fuckers.  :horrormirth:
You shouldn't let poets lie to you.
                                 - Bjork

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: DiscoUkulele on August 06, 2010, 04:55:34 PM

If there is a food supply for bugs they'll be back (well, different ones, but the same species generally)
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

DiscoUkulele

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on August 07, 2010, 12:04:28 AM
Quote from: DiscoUkulele on August 06, 2010, 04:55:34 PM

If there is a food supply for bugs they'll be back (well, different ones, but the same species generally)

You're right. Probably safer to burn the house down.

Fuckin spiders.
You shouldn't let poets lie to you.
                                 - Bjork

Reginald Ret

Take picture.
Make three wolf spider moon shirt.
Sell online.
Become rich.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Johnny

Quote from: Regret on August 07, 2010, 09:11:24 AM
Take picture.
Sell online.
Become rich.

Fix't (partially).

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Bruno

Quote from: Regret on August 07, 2010, 09:11:24 AM
Take picture.
Sell online.
Become rich.

I'd buy one.
Formerly something else...