News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

Apes. This is not what we are, this is what we do.

Started by Telarus, August 25, 2012, 02:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

Humans develop an incredible ability to pattern match. So much so that it's built into our DNA. When we see another monkey reach for a fruit, crack a smile, or grow annoyed, our biology immediately 'primes' the exact same muscle groups used for the task seen by queing up signals in the motor cortex, etc (thanks, Gautama, for that piece of the "karma" puzzle). We can mimic expressions, facial or whole body, some of us to the point of "impersonation" (Jim Carry does who?).

Humanity also has the pretty amazing ability to project impressions of humans onto their environmental events (from stormclouds to wild animals), which we call 'anthropomorphication'. Aren't we just the clever monkeys, to have made up a term for that.

----===[This space intentionally left blank for illumination.]===----

This is not a coincidence.

This is a feedback-loop.

Increasing the number of elements that the muscle cortex and related brain areas can model, accelerating the system when the brakes are taken off.

I've got a few more of the damn twisty things intuited out(subconscious feedback loops, that is).. but this is the first one I've managed to pin words to following a bit of parsimony. Look how much negentropy it took to pull that off.  :p
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Salty

Nice.

I was trying to think of a different word than "projecting" and couldn't. It actually makes a lot of sense and makes me feel funny.

I was reading this to Dr. Fiance because I needed another perspective and two things happened:

1. I realized this is one of those things that's so human, but it's something we don't really have control over. We can, to a point, limit type of experiences with other people. We cannot stop them from having some kind of effect on them. Sort of the way no one can be vegan and live in a society that is not without contamination. This takes place in a brain we can't just bark orders at.

2. Dr. Fiance asked me if I had seen the movie 23.  :fnord:

I have not because it looked terrible.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Telarus on August 25, 2012, 02:59:59 AM
Humans develop an incredible ability to pattern match. So much so that it's built into our DNA. When we see another monkey reach for a fruit, crack a smile, or grow annoyed, our biology immediately 'primes' the exact same muscle groups used for the task seen by queing up signals in the motor cortex, etc (thanks, Gautama, for that piece of the "karma" puzzle). We can mimic expressions, facial or whole body, some of us to the point of "impersonation" (Jim Carry does who?).

Humanity also has the pretty amazing ability to project impressions of humans onto their environmental events (from stormclouds to wild animals), which we call 'anthropomorphication'. Aren't we just the clever monkeys, to have made up a term for that.

----===[This space intentionally left blank for illumination.]===----

This is not a coincidence.

This is a feedback-loop.

Increasing the number of elements that the muscle cortex and related brain areas can model, accelerating the system when the brakes are taken off.

I've got a few more of the damn twisty things intuited out(subconscious feedback loops, that is).. but this is the first one I've managed to pin words to following a bit of parsimony. Look how much negentropy it took to pull that off.  :p

This was really good and ties into the anthropological explanation of how human intelligence followed the development of increasingly complex human society, because not only does a society require that our brains be excellent pattern-finders, but that our brains be excellent predictors.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Alty on August 25, 2012, 03:24:20 AM
Nice.

I was trying to think of a different word than "projecting" and couldn't. It actually makes a lot of sense and makes me feel funny.

I was reading this to Dr. Fiance because I needed another perspective and two things happened:

1. I realized this is one of those things that's so human, but it's something we don't really have control over. We can, to a point, limit type of experiences with other people. We cannot stop them from having some kind of effect on them. Sort of the way no one can be vegan and live in a society that is not without contamination. This takes place in a brain we can't just bark orders at.

2. Dr. Fiance asked me if I had seen the movie 23.  :fnord:

I have not because it looked terrible.

It is terrible.

And the bolded line hurts my brain.  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

I DON'T HAVE TO GRAMMAR ON YUO, YUOR AM ARNTENT MY MOM.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

LMNO