News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

Oreo Truffles

Started by Luna, December 16, 2011, 02:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

Got this recipe from a co-worker.  They have been well received (meaning "people devour them like hordes of locusts").

What You Need
1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1 pkg. (16.6 oz.) OREO Cookies, finely crushed (about 4-1/4 cups), divided
2 pkg. (8 squares each) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, melted. (I used chocolate chips, and, when those ran out, a Hershey's dark chocolate bar, instead, worked fine.)

Mix cream cheese and 3 cups cookie crumbs until well blended.
Shape into 48 (1-inch) balls.
Dip in melted chocolate; place on waxed paper-covered baking sheet.
Sprinkle with remaining cookie crumbs. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
Store in tightly covered container in refrigerator.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

I know what I'm making for the crew's next dessert. Thanks Luna!
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Luna

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on December 16, 2011, 05:38:55 PM
I know what I'm making for the crew's next dessert. Thanks Luna!

I have a big grin on my face.  Like, this one.   :D

A food processor was suggessted for crushing the cookies.  I don't have one, so I tossed 'em in a freezer Ziplock (the double walled ones) and beat the hell out of 'em with a rolling pin.  ECH, if you have better ideas, that would be awesome, it was a pain in the ass.

I also learned, use a double boiler (or improvise one).  Melting chocolate in a tupperware container in the microwave got me melted tupperware.   :oops:

Luna:  Queen of Kitchen Mishaps

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

East Coast Hustle

I realized I don't have enough chocolate chips for a whole batch so I'm gonna do half dipped in milk chocolate and half dipped in white chocolate.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Luna

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on December 16, 2011, 06:43:02 PM
I realized I don't have enough chocolate chips for a whole batch so I'm gonna do half dipped in milk chocolate and half dipped in white chocolate.

Nice!  I'm thinking about grabbing a package of the mint oreos to try this.

Suu

Quote from: Luna on December 16, 2011, 06:48:18 PM

DUDE.

YES.

I should do this for Christmas Eve and bring leftovers to the Squids!

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Luna

Quote from: Suu on December 16, 2011, 07:03:06 PM
Quote from: Luna on December 16, 2011, 06:48:18 PM

DUDE.

YES.

I should do this for Christmas Eve and bring leftovers to the Squids!

Go for it. 

Melting the damn chocolate takes forever, if you can food process the cookies, get the chocolate started first. The rest goes pretty quick.

Suu

My parents have a food processor, so that should be fine. I'll probably stick with the chocolate chips since they tend to melt better and more evenly than bars. (It's science.)

But other than that, the mint ones sound bangin', and it's just not Christmas unless my brother and I have a war in the kitchen while finishing a bottle of tequila. I'm so glad he's not working at a restaurant this year. That means we can Iron Chef.

Luna

Quote from: Suu on December 16, 2011, 07:27:46 PM
My parents have a food processor, so that should be fine. I'll probably stick with the chocolate chips since they tend to melt better and more evenly than bars. (It's science.)

But other than that, the mint ones sound bangin', and it's just not Christmas unless my brother and I have a war in the kitchen while finishing a bottle of tequila. I'm so glad he's not working at a restaurant this year. That means we can Iron Chef.

Yeah, the bar was an, "ofuk, I'm out of chips" improv.  Worked, though.

Dysfunctional Cunt

I've had these before, and they were made with the mint oreos, I thought they had also put some creme de menthe in the cream cheese but I may be wrong.  They were absolutely fucking amazing.

I melt my chocolate in the microwave on medium, I've never had an issue  :?

Luna

Quote from: Khara on December 16, 2011, 07:30:57 PM
I've had these before, and they were made with the mint oreos, I thought they had also put some creme de menthe in the cream cheese but I may be wrong.  They were absolutely fucking amazing.

My microwave has been getting twitchy.  Damn thing isn't quite a year old, I am less than thrilled.

Creme de menthe?   Hm....

Triple Zero

Whoa that sounds really good!

Quote from: Luna on December 16, 2011, 07:07:31 PM
Melting the damn chocolate takes forever, if you can food process the cookies, get the chocolate started first. The rest goes pretty quick.

(hm I see Khara already said this while I was writing, posting anyway)

Melting chocolate is real easy and quick if you have a microwave. Try 30-60 seconds at first, then try stirring, then maybe another 10-20 seconds. Because microwaves are weird, the chocolate will melt but not go liquid if that makes sense (microwaves are not required to make sense) so it'll look like nothing happened until you stir/poke at it and you'll find that most of it is melted.

Chocolate melts at 34-36 degrees Celsius (~95F), just below body temperature, so you don't need much heat at all, and the microwave helps it get in there more quickly/easily I *think* because in au bain marie only the bits that are in contact with the heated bowl get heat transfer, or something, anyway my experience agrees that it takes forever. Also if chocolate gets too hot something in the structure changes and it's ruined, looks a bit like curdles. Taste is fine (unless it's burned), you can still use it as chocolate bread paste or something, but it's no longer good for dipping. My guess is that this happens at 50C (122F) which is when most proteins start denaturing (but I never measured it, and it could be different because 50C is for animal proteins and chocolate protein might be different).

A biochemist once told me a trick to very easily test whether something is 50C: it's the temperature at which, if you touch it or stick your finger in, it goes from "pretty hot" to "painful/unbearable", because your body is telling you "stop doing that, my proteins are denaturing!". It's a magical temperature, and also the point where a steak transitions from "very rare/blue" to "rare".
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Luna on December 16, 2011, 07:32:47 PM

My microwave has been getting twitchy.  Damn thing isn't quite a year old, I am less than thrilled.

Creme de menthe?   Hm....

If you like creme de menthe, let me give you my creme de menthe ice cream pie recipe with girl scout cookie thin mints crushed up as a crust......  :evil:

Luna

Quote from: Khara on December 16, 2011, 07:40:40 PM
Quote from: Luna on December 16, 2011, 07:32:47 PM

My microwave has been getting twitchy.  Damn thing isn't quite a year old, I am less than thrilled.

Creme de menthe?   Hm....

If you like creme de menthe, let me give you my creme de menthe ice cream pie recipe with girl scout cookie thin mints crushed up as a crust......  :evil:

Oooh, yes...   :D