News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

Trip's spellings and cunning linguisticisms

Started by Triple Zero, August 25, 2010, 10:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

000- English has too many words as it is. It's a pretty versatile language and is always expanding its vocabulary, for both good and ill. Then there is also the jargon problem. For about a year and a half I was an administrative assistant to two epidemiologists, which means that I had to proofread their articles prior to submission. I had to find out from them that words like generalizability and suicidality, while not real words, are acceptable for publication in a medical journal. Go figure.

Out of curiosity, how similar is Dutch to English? I heard that Frisian is the closest living language to English, so Dutch can't be that much further off.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 30, 2010, 03:58:49 PM
"carryable" is apparently not a word. says my spellchecker. what is the right word?

fuck, "spellchecker" is not even a word ... :(

oh and also Badge told me that "demention" is not a word, either.

English language needs more words, obviously. It's got holes.

what does demention mean?  Spellchecker is a word in American English, the word for carryable is portable, although that is a bit closer to movable than actually carryable.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Blight on August 30, 2010, 06:03:23 PM
000- English has too many words as it is. It's a pretty versatile language and is always expanding its vocabulary, for both good and ill. Then there is also the jargon problem. For about a year and a half I was an administrative assistant to two epidemiologists, which means that I had to proofread their articles prior to submission. I had to find out from them that words like generalizability and suicidality, while not real words, are acceptable for publication in a medical journal. Go figure.

Out of curiosity, how similar is Dutch to English? I heard that Frisian is the closest living language to English, so Dutch can't be that much further off.

Your answer.

000- Het Engels heeft teveel woorden zoals het is. It' de S.A. vrij veelzijdige taal en breidt altijd zijn woordenschat, voor zowel goed als Illinois uit. Dan is er ook het jargonprobleem. Voor ongeveer anderhalf jaar was ik een administratieve medewerker aan twee epidemiologen, zo betekent het dat ik hun artikelen voorafgaand aan voorlegging moest corrigeren. Ik moest te weten komen van hen dat woorden zoals veralgemeenbaarheid en suicidality, terwijl de niet echte woorden, voor publicatie in een medisch dagboek aanvaardbaar zijn. Ga cijfer. Uit hoe gelijkaardige nieuwsgierigheid, is Nederlands aan het Engels? Ik hoorde dat Frisian de dichtste het leven taal aan Engelse, zo Nederlandse can' is; t is verder weg dat veel.

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Triple Zero

Quote from: Doktor Blight on August 30, 2010, 06:03:23 PM

Afaik, Dutch comes second in being closest. Frysian has more words and grammar bits that are really like English.

Then, common current spoken Dutch uses a lot of English loanwords. We actually have rules for loaned English verbs, creating funny things such as the past tense of "delete", when used in Dutch (used when referring to an action in a computer program), will be deletete ...  :roll:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

(this is in reply to the "Benefits of Madness" thread, and in particular Ratatosk's post, but I didn't want to jack the thread, or get under people's skins by suddenly talking about mental disorders as swearwords)

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on May 05, 2011, 11:11:31 PM
I think that madness is a trick word that tends to get abused. It can mean mental illness and it can mean foolishness and/or senselessness. I think that behaving in a foolish/senseless/silly manner can indeed be healthy and useful. It's the fictional Mad Hero, like the Hatter in Wonderland, Willy Wonka and Hunter S Thompson. While all of them may also have been ill (mercury poison, obsessive compulsive, crazy drug overload etc), their oddity is celebrated and the beloved nature of the character is based on their 'madness'.

"A little madness now and then, is relished by the wisest men."

The eighteenth century and nineteenth century are full of the same kind of thinking, often treating as synonyms "madness, quirky, unserious, demented, foolish, absurdity". In retrospect, we can often see dementia, mercury poisoning and other physical causes in many of the cases... but the legend, the myth continues onward. If we consider Kerry Thornley, we can see great creativity in his madness... but there was also some serious badwrong aspects to his madness as well. The same for our beloved Emperor Norton. Norton was respected by many, including Sam Clemens, but in the end he was also ill and suffered from serious problems. Its this myth that we struggle with... the trying to explain the value of not being serious, of being absurd or silly.. and invariably, due to hundreds of years of use the term madness gets tossed in. In return, people with actual illnesses may try to justify their behavior by invoking the myth of madness.

"Madness" in one sense can be incredibly freeing, in another sense entirely debilitating. If the context indicates that an author is using it as a synonym for 'absurd' then I don' think its a problem. If they're using it to justify mental illness, that seems unhealthy. It falls to the reader to determine the context, and for some who suffer (or have family that suffers) from a real illness, it can be a word the evokes a very visceral response.

Those who choose to use the term 'madness' should be careful and clear in how they use it... as Inigo Montoya said, "You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means."

Hm come to think of it, I said the Dutch are one of the few cultures that use diseases as swearwords.

But if you consider that a word like "retard" actually refers to mental illness. In the 19th and early 20th centure, an "idiot" was a person with a very severe mental retardation (before that time it meant "layman"). Same goes for moron and imbecile.

Ooh, I found another one: Cretin. You use that as a swearword, and it's an actual physical (and mental) condition.

Swearwords are fucking interesting, that's what.

Ooh and check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Pejorative_terms_for_people
Now, ethnic and religious pejoratives aren't that interesting--to me--fortunately they are separate categories. Probably is old hat to native speakers, though.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.