News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

Douglas Adams (hgttg excerpt) on politics

Started by Ascoe, January 09, 2010, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ascoe

Quote from: so long and thanks for all the fishAn extraterrestrial robot and spaceship has just landed on earth. The robot steps out of the spaceship...]

"I come in peace," it said, adding after a long moment of further grinding, "take me to your Lizard."

Ford Prefect, of course, had an explanation for this, as he sat with Arthur and watched the nonstop frenetic news reports on television, none of which had anything to say other than to record that the thing had done this amount of damage which was valued at that amount of billions of pounds and had killed this totally other number of people, and then say it again, because the robot was doing nothing more than standing there, swaying very slightly, and emitting short incomprehensible error messages.

"It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see..."

"You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?"

"No," said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, "nothing so simple. Nothing anything like to straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."

"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."

"I did," said ford. "It is."

"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"

"It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."

"You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"

"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."

"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"

"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in. Got any gin?"

"What?"

"I said," said Ford, with an increasing air of urgency creeping into his voice, "have you got any gin?"

"I'll look. Tell me about the lizards."

Ford shrugged again.

"Some people say that the lizards are the best thing that ever happened to them," he said. "They're completely wrong of course, completely and utterly wrong, but someone's got to say it."

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Ascoe

The point is to read it.

I'd didn't post this thread to start an  :argh!: argument.

East Coast Hustle

yeah, I read it when I was 11 years old.

and if you're not looking for arguments, well, please look up the root word in the term "discordian".

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Ascoe

The Johnny

So you think politicians are highly evolved reptilians that shapeshift?

Or are you making some sort of StarGate fanfiction , with the subtext of a critique to modern democracy?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Ascoe on January 09, 2010, 05:43:50 PM
wah?

jesus tittyfucking christ.

you know what? I'm just gonna shut up and give you your 50 posts in the hopes that you'll figure some shit out between now and then.

Ascoe

:lol:

edit

way2troll. :|
I'm not trying to rewrite the Children of the Matrix, Johnny, nor am i trying to build up my postcount. I'm just posting some fiction in the political forum for a change.

(when you're coming up with clever responses please use the following words: asshoe, RAWtard, asscone)

The Johnny

Was it a flame/troll? Or maybe it is real questions i have in response to what you posted?

Because if instead of questioning you about it, id just lump you with the conspiracy nuts that think the Bush family are in reality lizard shape-shifters that come from a long dynasty of said creatures, with origins in medieval royalty.

Hell, if you want to rewrite "children of the matrix" or build your post-count, its ok by me.

But now i ask you, what kind of responses did you want to it? (style critique, OH WOW THAT IS AWESOME, opinions?) and also what kind of responses were you expecting?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

And telling us what kind of nomenclature to use when doing "clever responses", for the record, is not well taken.

-B.F. Skinner

Ascoe

It's not for critique man, it's not my work.

The Johnny

Quote from: Ascoe on January 09, 2010, 08:45:08 PM
It's not for critique man, it's not my work.

Then what is it for? To be stared at blankly without responding?

-B.F. Skinner

Ascoe

BabylonHoruv

I'm guessing he's trying to point out how clever a metaphor it is.  With Lizards standing in for the ruling class.

Paints Adams as a bit of a communist.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Salty

If I want to ponder the intricacies of Douglas Adams fiction I'd go read his books.

Point is, OP is pretty god-damned available. Whole networks of people, an industry of people make that happen.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.