News:

There's a sucker born every minute... and you are right on time.

Main Menu

No wonder young girls don't get into science.

Started by Kai, November 27, 2011, 06:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on December 01, 2011, 06:50:47 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 01, 2011, 06:39:11 PM
If you're saying that the majority of men are fucking idiots because they assume "boys wearing dresses = gay", then I agree with you.

Exactly. I don't think we should give any time for that argument, regardless of how many people think it.

Although, I'm pretty sure Ipt isn't making that argument, he's stating why that particular father would be mad.

Which could be considered preaching to the choir, but we shouldn't castigate him for reminding us that monkeys are, well, monkeys.

Elder Iptuous

Freeky

Here's a bit of anecdote:

Monkey likes to wear makeup.  I mean, I will put it on him and he won't rub it off, or he'll go and grab it himself and mess with it, saying "Pretty colors!  What's this color? (color name)" the whole time.  It is ADORABLE, and he looks pretty good with red eyeshadow, really.

I know for a fact that if his dad knew about this, he'd flip his fucking lid.  The ex is a bit of a homophobe, and I'm pretty sure he'd see that as a thing that will lead to monkey being gay.  

I think the point is, people who would think that are idiots, and this is empirical evidence, since we already know my ex is an idiot?  Or is that circular reasoning?

Triple Zero

Is anecdotal evidence of "people who think this are idiots".

Is empirical evidence of "your ex is an idiot" (like we needed any more).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Freeky

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 02, 2011, 09:13:43 AM
Is anecdotal evidence of "people who think this are idiots".

Is empirical evidence of "your ex is an idiot" (like we needed any more).

:lulz:  My bad. 

Jenne

It would be awesome if Mattel et al would come up with neuter/both boy AND girl makeup/doll/dress up sets.  Or if giving pink to a boy didn't signal in the West* a "mistake in gender identity."

*There's no "pink" taboo in my husband's family, and so maybe extrapolatable to his culture? because his favorite photo of himself as a baby is when his grandmother is holding him on a raspberry pink blanket while he's wearing a pastel pink sweatersuit and hat! ...NOT that I expect we'll see the mujaheds or Talibs in the region wearing Prince's raspberry berets, but one can hope, can't one?

Kai

Quote from: Jenne on December 02, 2011, 03:49:37 PM
It would be awesome if Mattel et al would come up with neuter/both boy AND girl makeup/doll/dress up sets.  Or if giving pink to a boy didn't signal in the West* a "mistake in gender identity."

*There's no "pink" taboo in my husband's family, and so maybe extrapolatable to his culture? because his favorite photo of himself as a baby is when his grandmother is holding him on a raspberry pink blanket while he's wearing a pastel pink sweatersuit and hat! ...NOT that I expect we'll see the mujaheds or Talibs in the region wearing Prince's raspberry berets, but one can hope, can't one?

Maybe they're still operating under the "old" tradition of pink as a strong color.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jenne

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on December 02, 2011, 03:59:50 PM
Quote from: Jenne on December 02, 2011, 03:49:37 PM
It would be awesome if Mattel et al would come up with neuter/both boy AND girl makeup/doll/dress up sets.  Or if giving pink to a boy didn't signal in the West* a "mistake in gender identity."

Maybe they're still operating under the "old" tradition of pink as a strong color.

I think for babies, it just doesn't matter--as long as the clothes fit.  If you like the color and you're the baby's mom, you dress them however you want.  Makes sense.  Folks know each other so closely, they already know if you had a boy or a girl.  So there's no question about having to look at the color of bib, blanket or clothing to "guess"...you hear from your relative what gender the baby is, and that's that.

Kai

Plus babies are such wrinkly pink monstrosities that there is no clear indicator of their sex when they're clothed.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Jenne

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on December 02, 2011, 04:04:17 PM
Plus babies are such wrinkly pink monstrosities that there is no clear indicator of their sex when they're clothed.

Exactly, so if you know the mom, and you know the baby, you don't need the non-verbal marker of "boy" or "girl" that color scheme of baby paraphernalia would signal to you.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Everyone who didn't know me always assumed EFO was a boy and MO was a girl, no matter what they were dressed in.

They were babies, it didn't matter. I'm fine with people calling babies "it", too, I don't know why people get all worked up over calling small children "it". They don't naturally start to differentiate until around four, anyway. We should just stick them all in dresses (pants on babies are FUCKING STUPID, who came up with that? Makes diaper-changing a huge PITA) until they're old enough to care.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Nigel on December 02, 2011, 04:37:29 PM
Everyone who didn't know me always assumed EFO was a boy and MO was a girl, no matter what they were dressed in.

They were babies, it didn't matter. I'm fine with people calling babies "it", too, I don't know why people get all worked up over calling small children "it". They don't naturally start to differentiate until around four, anyway. We should just stick them all in dresses (pants on babies are FUCKING STUPID, who came up with that? Makes diaper-changing a huge PITA) until they're old enough to care.

As far as I'm concerned, they're barely human. I don't think of babies as people until they start speaking. Until then, they're well loved pets that have to be fed, cleaned, and walked every 2-4 hours.

Elder Iptuous

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on December 02, 2011, 05:21:12 PM
Quote from: Nigel on December 02, 2011, 04:37:29 PM

As far as I'm concerned, they're barely human. I don't think of babies as people until they start speaking. Until then, they're well loved pets that have to be fed, cleaned, and walked every 2-4 hours.

Ungh. Well, that's special, considering that infancy is one of the most rapid learning periods and that babies are making connections at an astonishing rate. They can usually understand a lot of language long before they can physically speak, too. This is one reason babies require so much interaction.

They're definitely not as fun as older children, but then, it's not like they're meant to be entertainment.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Iptuous on December 02, 2011, 05:26:03 PM
that's kinda fucked up, Kai.
:|

No, fucked up is treating them poorly. Fucked up is killing people for their skin color. Fucked up is making women second class citizens. Fucked up is corpse fucking.

My thoughts of babies as potential humans, which does not change my moral requirement to treat them right, is merely quirky.