News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

Is there a reliable source for non-bullshit?

Started by Anna Mae Bollocks, October 21, 2012, 07:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Looking for purely factual resources which support a center-moderate or scientifically sound left wing view that can be relied on for journalistic integrity and absolutely zero bias or twisted figures? Does this exist? Thanks.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on October 21, 2012, 07:32:24 PM
Looking for purely factual resources which support a center-moderate or scientifically sound left wing view that can be relied on for journalistic integrity and absolutely zero bias or twisted figures? Does this exist? Thanks.

View of what? I'd recommend peer-reviewed science journals, but without a topic, I don't know.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

And the problem with peer review if youre trying to use the info to convince someone of something is that theyll come back that theyre only saying what theyre saying for grant money. Because science makes you rich and grant money is easy to come by.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Man Green on October 21, 2012, 07:35:28 PM

View of what? I'd recommend peer-reviewed science journals, but without a topic, I don't know.

News sources, mainly. Anything to do with political stuff: economics, social welfare, women's issues...

Nephew Twiddleton

Probably the best thing you can do is look at the same story from multiple perspectives and come to a conclusion based off that. Or fox news and pretend its opposite day.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Bruno

The guy who sits next to me at work swears by BBC news.
Formerly something else...

Internet Jesus

Your own mind and multiple sources.
HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Internet Jesus on October 21, 2012, 08:11:26 PM

Your own mind and multiple sources.

I've got to third this. And check sources whenever possible, because a lot of the time the actual source says something different from what the media reports, especially if it's science.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Quote from: Emo Howard on October 21, 2012, 08:10:33 PM

You might want to point out to that guy the BBC almost certainly helped cover up the predatory pedophilic tendencies of one of their most famous presenters, to the point of shelving a Newsnight investigation into the claims last year.

This presenter was especially well known for a program which gave him access to young children.

Bruno

Quote from: Cain on October 22, 2012, 12:39:11 AM
Quote from: Emo Howard on October 21, 2012, 08:10:33 PM

You might want to point out to that guy the BBC almost certainly helped cover up the predatory pedophilic tendencies of one of their most famous presenters, to the point of shelving a Newsnight investigation into the claims last year.

This presenter was especially well known for a program which gave him access to young children.

Nice. What was his name?

It seems that every news organization has its biases, but most of them have different ones. The more sources you use, the easier it becomes to separate truth from BS. I really miss Newsworld International, which was just news programs from all over the world.

If I recall correctly, it was Al Gore (and friends) that bought that channel and turned it to shit.
Formerly something else...

Able Kane

If you're looking for a news source with absolutely zero bias, you'll be searching 'til your deathday.
Eat ye not from the Tree of Irony, lest the Tree of Irony should surely eatst from thou.

================
LVPA DEA FVRIOSVS
++++++++++++++++

The past is dead, the future ain't a fetus yet - let's party!

Anna Mae Bollocks

Yeah.

Here's one I was playing around with: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/08/09/kansas-doctor-under-attack-for-not-forcing-ten-year-old-rape-victim-to-give-birth/

The part that says "It's so bad that state officials have attempted to prosecute a Planned Parenthood clinic for falsifying documents" links to a petition site.

The part of the petition site that says "A judge last week threw out charges that a Kansas City area Planned Parenthood clinic falsified records..." links to the ABC News home page and no article.

There's still the search function but yeah, it could take all night to get one story straight. Fucking useless.  :x

Bu🤠ns

Riffing off Twid....you could do fox news in one ear phone and NPR in the other. 

OTOH, maybe researching some bloggers might get you closer to what you want.  The trouble, as it seems to me, is there's an agenda associated with the news networks.  There might be a good chance that you might find a blogger or two with the independent news mentality.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on October 22, 2012, 05:57:53 AM
Yeah.

Here's one I was playing around with: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/08/09/kansas-doctor-under-attack-for-not-forcing-ten-year-old-rape-victim-to-give-birth/

The part that says "It's so bad that state officials have attempted to prosecute a Planned Parenthood clinic for falsifying documents" links to a petition site.

The part of the petition site that says "A judge last week threw out charges that a Kansas City area Planned Parenthood clinic falsified records..." links to the ABC News home page and no article.

There's still the search function but yeah, it could take all night to get one story straight. Fucking useless.  :x

Theoretically, HIPPAA should make cases like this difficult to track, for obvious reasons, so that's a complicated question.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

HOWEVER, this is where you google the headline to see where else it showed up, and whether other sources collaborate.