News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: It's actually about ethics in fictional bars

Started by EK WAFFLR, August 10, 2015, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Nast on October 18, 2015, 06:57:48 AM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on October 18, 2015, 04:55:20 AM
well, i seem to be having a small emotional spiral and none of the people i usually talk to when this happens are picking up their phones. This will be an interesting night.

:sad:

Feel free to vent here if you think it will help.
Basically dealing with the realization that i have head-over-heels feelings for one of my friends, yet i can't really say anything about it to her because i feel it'll only make things awkward, since she lives so far away that a relationship would be nearly impossible.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on October 17, 2015, 11:02:27 PM
Etiquette guides disgust me.

Some friends of mine got married today and I wasn't invited to the wedding. I'm cool with that, I think weddings are a personal affair that have a lot of factors to consider in terms of cost, venue, family size, closeness of relationship, etc. I feel like we should be grateful for being invited rather than stilted if we aren't. I was invited for an after party and I'm trying to figure out what the custom is for gift giving for an after party. All I can find is a bunch of discussion forum questions where people say that after parties are tacky and your guests will feel insulted for not being invited to the event. It's fucking gross.

My understanding of the etiquette is that the afterparty essentially functions as a reception, so bring whatever wedding gift you would have brought to the wedding proper.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 18, 2015, 01:23:05 AM
Met Permagos today.

So Tucson now has Zenpatista, Permagos, myself (and associated related spags), choppas, and Frank the Bastard.

You will all come to Tucson.  I've told you about this.

Soon there will be a Great Discordian War between Tucson and Portland, as half of all Discordians gravitate to one and the other half to the other.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pergamos on October 18, 2015, 04:45:13 AM
Roger is nicer in person than on the forum.  Also even more talkative.

He's not nicer, you can just tell that he's laughing and that makes him seem nicer.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

well, i seem to be having a small emotional spiral and none of the people i usually talk to when this happens are picking up their phones. This will be an interesting night.

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on October 18, 2015, 07:28:24 PM
Quote from: Nast on October 18, 2015, 06:57:48 AM

:sad:

Feel free to vent here if you think it will help.
Basically dealing with the realization that i have head-over-heels feelings for one of my friends, yet i can't really say anything about it to her because i feel it'll only make things awkward, since she lives so far away that a relationship would be nearly impossible.

I don't know whether this would be a good time to mention that until four months ago Alty lived in Alaska, which actually is impossible.

Of course, I didn't fall for him until he moved here, but still. Things change. What if she has feelings for you too? What if one or the other of you is open to a move? Basically all I'm saying is that if it's a solid friendship, it will rebound from the awkwardness, and if there's a possibility of it working out, why not take the chance?

At least mention that you have a crush on her, that's something that can easily be glossed over if it's not reciprocal.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 19, 2015, 12:32:34 AM

He's not nicer, you can just tell that he's laughing and that makes him seem nicer.

I don't bust you out when you're doing bad things to people.  :rogpipe:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 19, 2015, 01:22:09 AM

I only know this because I suffer from the same effect. People always say "You're so much nicer in person!"

No I'm not.  :lulz:

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 19, 2015, 01:28:22 AM

I only know this because I suffer from the same effect. People always say "You're so much nicer in person!"

It's like, everyone in the universe knows that typed posts on the Internet lack tone...

...but everyone assumes that the tone being taken is contemptuous or mean. They just fill in the blank with nasty.

I will hereafter pledge that, if I can't determine the intended tone of a post, I will assume it is gregarious and charitable.

Nast

"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nast on October 19, 2015, 04:12:11 AM
I am so tired of the word "lifehack".

Holy shit me and Alty were just talking about this last night! And we were like, hey maybe you shouldn't hack your life? At least aim for a little more finesse than hacking, right?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on October 19, 2015, 02:00:46 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 19, 2015, 01:28:22 AM

It's like, everyone in the universe knows that typed posts on the Internet lack tone...

...but everyone assumes that the tone being taken is contemptuous or mean. They just fill in the blank with nasty.

I will hereafter pledge that, if I can't determine the intended tone of a post, I will assume it is gregarious and charitable.

This must be why people get angriest when I'm being completely reasonable.

Faust

#lifehack 101 Eat out of garbage cans to save money on food
#lifehack 102 Plastic bags and rubber bands can make a cool alternative to shoes, and can keep your feet dry in the winter
#lifehack 103 Have less friends to maximise your free time and reduce emotional baggage
#lifehack 104 How to turn your shopping trolley into a portable shelter but turning it upside down and a few cardboard boxes
#lifehack 105 Succumb to madness for a cheap alternative to netflix
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.