Joe Leiberman read the Constitution very carefully before he proposed this.

Started by Requia ☣, May 07, 2010, 05:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Expanding government is A-OK to them when it swallows up the undesirables like immigrants, minorities, and gays/lesbians. 

I think it was Jonathan Alter who said it on Countdown, paraphrasing, "They aren't for smaller government, they are for their government." 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jenne

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on May 11, 2010, 05:20:10 PM
Expanding government is A-OK to them when it swallows up the undesirables like immigrants, minorities, and gays/lesbians. 

I think it was Jonathan Alter who said it on Countdown, paraphrasing, "They aren't for smaller government, they are for their government." 

Yup.  That's why so many welfare and medicare recipients march with them...because they're the right color to receive the benefits...

Juana

Eric Holder: Miranda Rights Should Be Modified For Terrorism Suspects

QuoteAttorney General Eric Holder said for the first time today on ABC's "This Week" that ]the Obama administration is open to modifying Miranda protections to deal with the "threats that we now face."

"The [Miranda] system we have in place has proven to be effective," Holder told host Jake Tapper. "I think we also want to look and determine whether we have the necessary flexibility -- whether we have a system that deals with situations that agents now confront. ... We're now dealing with international terrorism. ... I think we have to give serious consideration to at least modifying that public-safety exception [to the Miranda protections]. And that's one of the things that I think we're going to be reaching out to Congress, to come up with a proposal that is both constitutional, but that is also relevant to our times and the threats that we now face."

America's system of Miranda rights developed out of a 1966 Supreme Court ruling which found that the Fifth Amendment and Sixth Amendment rights of an alleged rapist and kidnapper, Ernesto Arturo Miranda, had been violated during his arrest and trial (Miranda was later retried and convicted).

The Court ruled that before being interrogated, a person in custody must (among other things) "be clearly informed that he or she has the right to remain silent, and that anything the person says will be used against that person in court," and that they "must be clearly informed that he or she has the right to consult with an attorney and to have that attorney present during questioning."

Holder, who was making his first appearance on a Sunday morning news show, also declared that the Pakistani Taliban was behind the attempted bombing of Times Square by Faisal Shahzad last week.

"We've now developed evidence that shows that the Pakistani Taliban was behind the attack," Holder said. "We know that they helped facilitate it. We know that they probably helped finance it. And that he was working at their direction."

:argh!: :evilmad:
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Iason Ouabache

It's like they don't understand the meaning of the word "suspect". Didn't we used to believe in innocent until proven guilty?
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Jenne

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on May 12, 2010, 09:40:39 AM
It's like they don't understand the meaning of the word "suspect". Didn't we used to believe in innocent until proven guilty?

No.  Until arrested.

You find that out once that happens to you or someone you love/care about.

LMNO

Unfortunately, this.

It upsets me more than I can actually say that this is the case.

Cait M. R.

Quote from: Jenne on May 12, 2010, 02:43:42 PM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on May 12, 2010, 09:40:39 AM

No.  Until arrested.

You find that out once that happens to you or someone you love/care about.

How about getting arrested, the handcuffs yanked down on your wrist hard enough to permanently destroy a nerve that's connected to the back of your thumb and leave extremely disturbing scars, then getting taken to prison and having your finger broken because your haircut offends the shift commander? That happens, you know. Oh, wasn't read my rights either. Mentioned that to the judge, got told "suck it up".

Yeah. Innocent until arrested. Absolutely true.

Freeky

Quote from: Hover Cat on May 12, 2010, 04:14:17 AM

QuoteAttorney General Eric Holder said for the first time today on ABC's "This Week" that ]the Obama administration is open to modifying Miranda protections to deal with the "threats that we now face."

"The [Miranda] system we have in place has proven to be effective," Holder told host Jake Tapper. "I think we also want to look and determine whether we have the necessary flexibility -- whether we have a system that deals with situations that agents now confront. ... We're now dealing with international terrorism. ... I think we have to give serious consideration to at least modifying that public-safety exception [to the Miranda protections]. And that's one of the things that I think we're going to be reaching out to Congress, to come up with a proposal that is both constitutional, but that is also relevant to our times and the threats that we now face."

America's system of Miranda rights developed out of a 1966 Supreme Court ruling which found that the Fifth Amendment and Sixth Amendment rights of an alleged rapist and kidnapper, Ernesto Arturo Miranda, had been violated during his arrest and trial (Miranda was later retried and convicted).

The Court ruled that before being interrogated, a person in custody must (among other things) "be clearly informed that he or she has the right to remain silent, and that anything the person says will be used against that person in court," and that they "must be clearly informed that he or she has the right to consult with an attorney and to have that attorney present during questioning."

Holder, who was making his first appearance on a Sunday morning news show, also declared that the Pakistani Taliban was behind the attempted bombing of Times Square by Faisal Shahzad last week.

"We've now developed evidence that shows that the Pakistani Taliban was behind the attack," Holder said. "We know that they helped facilitate it. We know that they probably helped finance it. And that he was working at their direction."

"We've now developed evidence that shows that the Pakistani Taliban was behind the attack,"

"We've now developed evidence

Fuck off, government people.

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Professor Freeky on May 16, 2010, 04:25:09 AM
Quote from: Hover Cat on May 12, 2010, 04:14:17 AM

"We've now developed evidence that shows that the Pakistani Taliban was behind the attack,"

"We've now developed evidence

Fuck off, government people.

They should have just asked the Chicago PD.  They've been "developing evidence" since they were founded.
Molon Lube

Requia ☣

I wonder if that evidence will be shown at trial, or if its 'top secret'.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jasper

Freeky