News:

The only BEARFORCE1 slashfic forum on the Internet.  Fortunately.

Main Menu

EDIT: I DON'T KNOW CHILI FROM A HOLE IN THE GROUND.

Started by Freeky, May 31, 2013, 03:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 13, 2013, 04:46:44 PM
Quote from: Waffles, Viking Princess of Northern Belgium on June 13, 2013, 01:15:35 PM
Fireball Cinnamon Whisky is actually fantastic!

It's horrifyingly delicious.

BUT NOT IN CHILI.

I think my brain refused to read the part where it was supposed to go in the chili. WTF!
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Freeky

:lulz:

About time to go through and see what's awesome, to go grocery shopping tonight or tomorrow and cook this bitch up.

Richter

Quote from: Balls Wellington on June 09, 2013, 12:15:21 PM
Quote from: Richter on June 04, 2013, 01:46:45 PM
May be a bit johnny come lately, but cinamonwhiskey and a bit of honey for the chili.

SPEAKING OF WORDS THAT DO NOT BELONG TOGETHER!

:crankey:

True - more accessibl3 for those who dont have homemade krupnik aged for 3 years though.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Richter on June 14, 2013, 12:35:17 PM
Quote from: Balls Wellington on June 09, 2013, 12:15:21 PM
Quote from: Richter on June 04, 2013, 01:46:45 PM
May be a bit johnny come lately, but cinamonwhiskey and a bit of honey for the chili.

SPEAKING OF WORDS THAT DO NOT BELONG TOGETHER!

:crankey:

True - more accessibl3 for those who dont have homemade krupnik aged for 3 years though.

I don't fucking care how long some Pole has kept it in  his closet, it still doesn't fucking go in chili. That's disgusting.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Cinnamon is just kind of disgusting in general, except in cookies and pastries.

Allspice, however...that's one of my secret weapons.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Balls Wellington on June 14, 2013, 08:34:24 PM
Cinnamon is just kind of disgusting in general, except in cookies and pastries.

Allspice, however...that's one of my secret weapons.

I like allspice

and mace.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Mace is good.  It adds spicy without flavor, if you put enough in.  I didn't realize (though I should have) that it's possible the seasoning comes from the same thing as the defensive spray.

So!  I have begun batch one of the chili.  Ingredient list:

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
2 1/2 lbs cubed stew beef
2 red onions, cut how I always do them
jarred garlic, some
ancho chile pepper (ground), some
adobo seasoning, some
worsterwhatever, some
paprika, some
mace, some
liquid smoke, some
ground cumin, both regual and smoked, some
1 1/2 jalapenos
1 anaheim
2 serranos
one can of Caguama, it's a mexican beer
lemon juice, some
salt
black pepper
one cane of corn
begin measuring at 1/2 cup of corn flour

Batch two is the same, except instead of red onions, it will have sweet onions.

Batch one isn't even done yet, but here's the basic rundown.

Seed and slice peppers, stick them in a glass container with some liquid smoke, bake (roast?) in oven at 350.  Don't forget to not have vinegar on hand, so when you carefully avoid touching your inner eye, it'll just get spread all over by the tears created during then next step...

...Slice the onions.  Tear up.  Be in horrible pain.

Toast some of your ground spices in a pan.  Put them in a bowl to the side.  Pour some mystery oil into the pan, salt and black pepper half of your cubed beef, dump it in.  Leave it a bit, adding worsterwhatever and some of the spice mix, then flip it over.  Fish meat chunks out and put into big pot.  Do the same with the other half, deglazing as needed with the beer.  Whatever is in the pan this time, dump it all in the pot, all of it.  Do your onions in two batches, at least.  Definitely not in one big batch.  Throw in some sundried tomatoes, because that looked good at the store, and you don't see why not.  More spices.  More beer, but not until they're almost done.  Dump it all in the pot.  Cook ground beef in the same manner as cubed beef, but without the oil.  Dump all that in the pot.  Cover with water.  Add roasted peppers. Boil.

At this point, I'm heading into WILL DO territory, instead of HAVE DONE.

At some point, probably when beef chunks are more tenderer, add in the masa flour.  Also the corn. 

Edited for names of things.

East Coast Hustle

wait, you're adding masa flour to your chili?

WTF?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah I don't understand that at all.

Also, I think you are confusing mace for something else entirely. It has no spicy and is unrelated to the spray.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also I never put mace in chili, that was more of a general "favorite unexpected seasonings" comment.

Whatever the hell it is you made, I hope it turned out OK.

Freeky

-shrug- It is delicious and has the consistency of chili (or chili as I know it), so victory for me I guess.

East Coast Hustle

NO SERIOUSLY YOU PUT MASA FLOUR IN FRIGGIN' CHILI?!?

THAT IS NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE TO BEING THE TINIEST BIT OK.

IT'S SO NOT OK THAT I TOTALLY OVERLOOKED THE LIQUID SMOKE, WHICH IS ALSO VERY MUCH NOT OK BUT NOT TO THE SUPERNOVA-LIKE DEGREE THAT ADDING FLOUR TO CHILI IS.

THERE NEEDS TO BE A "HULKING OUT" EMOTE EXACTLY FOR SITUATIONS LIKE THIS.

FREEKY, SERIOUSLY, MY BLOOD PRESSURE IS STRUGGLING NOT TO BE LIKE THAT WEIRD JAPANESE PUBLIC HEALTH AD GUY.

FLOUR.

IN CHILI.

WHAT FUCKING KIND OF CHILI HAVE YOU BEEN EATING THAT FLOUR MUST BE ADDED TO MAKE IT SEEM RIGHT? I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS AT ALL. IT'S LIKE YOU JUST TOLD ME THAT YOU ADDED DOGSHIT TO YOUR BUTERSCOTCH SUNDAE.

Freeky

D:  Sorry dude.  Question:  Is masa harina different, if not then I guess I'm dumb?  I found some recipes with and some without, and it was too much like a stew for it to be chili. 

My only defense is I've only ever had to eat my mom's chilli, which was years ago, and she's an awful cook.  Just disgusting.  She can ruin a pot roast in the crock pot.