News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

3 more days and I get to go home to Tucson.  :banana:

To clarify:  I get to go home to my wife. :hammer:
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 08, 2014, 03:36:14 AM

You and Tucson made it official, huh?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on October 08, 2014, 03:37:58 AM

:lulz:

Jenny is much prettier than Tucson.  Hell, YOU are much prettier than Tucson.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on October 08, 2014, 03:37:58 AM

:horrormirth: :argh!: :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Jesus Nigel, that's just...yeah. I got nothing.  :sad:

And here I was just about to bitch that in the last 24 hours, my shower broke again, my computer blew moar, and my router went.  :kingmeh:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

In better news, my boyfriend, whose last job ended on Thursday, got another job. Thank god. He was starting to go all head-splodey.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Your Mom on October 08, 2014, 02:58:04 AM
Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 07, 2014, 10:25:00 PM
Quote from: Your Mom on October 07, 2014, 02:08:45 PM
I'm OK... it's a little weird, but I'm OK. The weird thing is that a friend of mine mentioned him just the other day, and I said "I have a feeling he's dead" and, well, now he is.

So weird. I'll probably be processing a lot of stuff over the next couple weeks. I married him very young and he was not a good man to be married to.

Very sorry to hear this.  As to the intuition, I've seen weirder. I don't pretend to understand everything, but have pretty much written off secular materialism.

Hang in there, I've lost people close to me and it always brings up stuff.

I'm just kind of sad for him right now. I just got off the phone with his sister and it just sounds like after we split up he was in and out of rehab. Last time I saw him was ten years ago and since then it sounds like he spent a couple of years homeless, was finally clean again (for two years) but his health was just terribly degraded and he ended up dying of a garden-variety stomach bug.

The rational part of me is saying "thank god you got out before he took you down with him", and the irrational part of me is saying "I wonder if things would have been different if I'd stayed?"

Things would have been different if you had stayed in terms of impact on you and your life. Negative impact it sounds like. Dok is right, sometimes failure is a success.
You looked for him. That was you being earnest. Despite that you did not find.  If you had you would surely have spent more of your life's limited resources on him but not likely turned him and surely weakened yourself. 

You and yours would certainly not be where you are now, full of potential. He was responsible for his life and its consequences.  You cared earnestly, and that is very good, but were not responsible for him.

Factors outside your control thwarted you to your own benefit. I could go on, but in essence I'm saying destiny has other plans for you.  He reaped the consequences of his choices. You and yours are still gaining from you not finding him, 'Tis Kismet methinks.

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't think I would have been in any way compromised by finding him... it's not like I wanted to remarry him, I've just been interested in what became of him. I have a pretty decent set of defenses against people who want to suck resources from me, including time and energy, as well as material resources. I am a grownup, after all.

Obviously, things would have been bad had I stayed. That's why I used the words "rational" and "irrational" to describe my conflicting thoughts. It's not as if I wished I'd stayed, but it's natural when someone dies a needless death to wonder if something could have gone differently and averted that death.

Knock off the platitudes. I don't need them, and we're here on peedee so you're not obliged to utter them.

The Wizard Joseph

Fair.

In other news... I've been recruited to play Clash of Clans. My homie actually called me instead of some blank FB invite so I took him up on it.  Man is this game slow, but FREE TO DOWNLOAD I guess. The whole thing is designed to get impatient folks to drop real cash for fake items... freaking brilliant!

It's gonna take me days to play the slow way up to the point I can join their clan.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

LMNO

I played that for a while, until the upgrades started taking literally a week to build if you didn't want to pay for it.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 08, 2014, 04:52:27 PM
I played that for a while, until the upgrades started taking literally a week to build if you didn't want to pay for it.

:lulz: I can already see it going that direction! The devils that designed this are gonna get money on a patience con. . But not from me.. then they win. At least I can play it in short moments of resource gathering and upgrading for now.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 08, 2014, 04:13:41 PM
Fair.

In other news... I've been recruited to play Clash of Clans. My homie actually called me instead of some blank FB invite so I took him up on it.  Man is this game slow, but FREE TO DOWNLOAD I guess. The whole thing is designed to get impatient folks to drop real cash for fake items... freaking brilliant!

It's gonna take me days to play the slow way up to the point I can join their clan.

I've got a level 8. And pointers aplenty. If you reddit, hit the CoC sub. It's a great place to learn how to do the game proper.

Also, if you hold on to your gems and use them to build builder huts, it takes a lot of the impatience factor out because you can have many builds going at once.

I bought my fourth hut, because I figure $10 for a game I've played this many hours is reasonable.

Back to the fecal matter in the pool

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on October 08, 2014, 06:10:56 PM
Fair.

I've got a level 8. And pointers aplenty. If you reddit, hit the CoC sub. It's a great place to learn how to do the game proper.

Also, if you hold on to your gems and use them to build builder huts, it takes a lot of the impatience factor out because you can have many builds going at once.

I bought my fourth hut, because I figure $10 for a game I've played this many hours is reasonable.

I am familiar with the reddit, but not well. Will do some searching. Seems I have 2 days and a precious few hours  before I lose immunity to attack.
Having the game run in the background is killing my battery.  :sad:

I was on to the gem game right after I wasted a bunch on the town hall. Got 2 builders and that will have to do for now. Chewed through a bunch of goblin camps. It's too bad you lose units deployed, survive or no.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 08, 2014, 09:37:45 PM
Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on October 08, 2014, 06:10:56 PM
Fair.

I am familiar with the reddit, but not well. Will do some searching. Seems I have 2 days and a precious few hours  before I lose immunity to attack.
Having the game run in the background is killing my battery.  :sad:

I was on to the gem game right after I wasted a bunch on the town hall. Got 2 builders and that will have to do for now. Chewed through a bunch of goblin camps. It's too bad you lose units deployed, survive or no.

No need to run it in the background. Just exit when you're done doing your biz. Game keeps time on the server.

Also shields are annoying. They tempt you not to attack player villages.

Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Cain

Finally convinced tech support I'm not a moron who shoved sandwiches into my CD-rom drive for kicks and that they may have actually screwed up here though they've not actually accepted liability, thus far.  Well, not explicitly, but they're sending someone to collect my laptop for repairs, which implies they are...I'm just getting ready for them to try and turn it around on me, despite the fact I didn't do anything and my computer simply spazzed out on me one day.

But with any luck, I should have a working computer again.  At some point.