News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

Hagakure - BIP

Started by LHX, March 13, 2007, 04:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LHX

how does this quote fit into the scheme of things?

Hagakure:

QuoteIt is better to live doing the things that you like. It is foolish to live within this dream of a world seeing unpleasantness and doing only things that you do not like. But it is important never to tell this to young people as it is something that would be harmful if incorrectly understood.
Personally, I like to sleep. And I intend to appropriately confine myself more and more to my living quarters and pass my life away sleeping.
neat hell

Triple Zero

the "do what you like" bit seems obvious to me (as how that would fit in)

and the sleeping bit sounds a littlebit escapist to me, to be honest
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

But the bit about not telling foolish people this (which I understand the "children" remark to be) is entirely accurate.

hunter s.durden

Quote from: triple zero on March 13, 2007, 04:43:30 PM
the "do what you like" bit seems obvious to me (as how that would fit in)

and the sleeping bit sounds a littlebit escapist to me, to be honest

Samurai's don't care what you think they should do.
That's the point.
Lots of people view sleeping like that. He doesn't care.
This space for rent.

Jenne

ITA w/what's been said so far on the first 2/3 of his statment.  The last point, he puts the qualifier "appropriately" in there.

I think that's the key to understanding this statement, and the preceeding one.

East Coast Hustle

I fucking love Hagakure. There is no shortage of passages in that book that fit very well into Discordian/BIP philosophy.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"