News:

Living proof that any damn fool can make things more complex

Main Menu

INTERMITTENS 8: Self Reliance

Started by Shai Hulud, January 11, 2010, 10:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shai Hulud

Thanks everybody, I agree with the consensus that the title's too big, I'll shrink the font a bit when I work on the final product.

MMIX, I found this painting just flipping through random images on wiki commons yesterday.  It's by a fellow named Lucas Cranach, who I had never heard of before, and it's based on the Bible story of Judith and Holofernes (which I had also never heard of before, pretty badass though).  I figure nothing says "self reliance" like a fancily dressed lady holding a severed head.

Elder Iptuous

good lord.
img search for judith and holofernes yields some awesome results...

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 15, 2010, 08:39:21 PM
Thanks everybody, I agree with the consensus that the title's too big, I'll shrink the font a bit when I work on the final product.

MMIX, I found this painting just flipping through random images on wiki commons yesterday.  It's by a fellow named Lucas Cranach, who I had never heard of before, and it's based on the Bible story of Judith and Holofernes (which I had also never heard of before, pretty badass though).  I figure nothing says "self reliance" like a fancily dressed lady holding a severed head.
thbe image: check for copyright. or similar limitations.
or am i showing my lack of knowledge regarding the laws?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Regret on January 15, 2010, 09:09:35 PM
Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 15, 2010, 08:39:21 PM

thbe image: check for copyright. or similar limitations.
or am i showing my lack of knowledge regarding the laws?

If that image isn't public domain I'll eat my pance.

MMIX

Quote from: Iptuous on January 15, 2010, 09:07:42 PM
good lord.

indeed, indeed . . .

http://www.bible-art.info/Judith.htm
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: MMIX on January 15, 2010, 11:42:48 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on January 15, 2010, 09:07:42 PM
good lord.

indeed, indeed . . .

http://www.bible-art.info/Judith.htm

Oh, wow, the art is awesome! As is the story. But I couldn't help laughing at this:
QuoteEven the villages and towns in the hill country and in the plain got a great amount of booty, since there was a vast quantity of it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Xila31

Hi, I submitted a little story.

I had an idea for the title. Maybe you could put the 8 sideways like a mobius strip? Just a thought. Did I spell that right?  :?

Shai Hulud

That's an awesome painting, I'll work it into the interior someplace, maybe as an illustration for a story.  Since I've been working on this issue I've realized how awesome wikicommons is.  And most of what they have there is public domain.

Check out this little illustration by Goya:

Quote from: Xila31 on January 16, 2010, 06:36:31 PM
Hi, I submitted a little story.
Hey, I got it and I think it's great, thanks!

Quote from: Xila31 on January 16, 2010, 06:36:31 PM
I had an idea for the title. Maybe you could put the 8 sideways like a mobius strip? Just a thought. Did I spell that right?  :?

You did, but technically you need an umlaut on the o, Möbius, so it's almost like a metal band:)
The cover is still a WIP so it may be changing, also if anybody submits cover art I may have to switch altogether.

BTW, I love everything I've gotten so far, lets keep the submissions coming everyone!

Rumckle

I like the cover, but I also think it would be cool with a subtitle of what the issue's focus is ie Self Reliance

Anyway, nice work in picking intermittens up, I think I may have an idea for this, we shall have to wait and see if I manage to get it out or not.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Effigy_Power

Hey Guy, guess if I throw you some material for your subversive little pamphlet, I should probably keep tabs on you, hmm? ^_^

Hey Xila.

Shai Hulud

Quote from: Effigy_Power on January 17, 2010, 06:20:14 PM
Hey Guy, guess if I throw you some material for your subversive little pamphlet, I should probably keep tabs on you, hmm? ^_^

With comics like yours, I think we need people keeping tabs on you.

Love it, by the way:)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

How about this:

My friend from Lopez used to say that when she was young, there were rumors of a wild girl in the woods north of School Road.

People would catch glimpses of the girl at the edge of the road or running the pebbled beaches where the sand dollars grew, thickly stacked in drift-like ridges rippling along the shoreline. By the time they got close, she would have melted back into the underbrush, and there was no sign of her.

My friend always said she was surprised we never ran into each other, all those years of growing up in the same place. I am not surprised.

I used to have more than this, these jars of preserves. My shelves are full of them, in my kitchen and my basement. All manner of things I grow in my garden, sweetened or pickled or salted and canned, saving me from the ordeals ahead. My cackling, busy hens give me eggs and I pickle them with beets, making them magenta-red as pokeberry juice.

I had children once, and even longer ago I had a husband. I had lovers for a while after that, and friends, many friends. But I had to prepare, and the more prepared I became, the more I realized I was short on time; there could be none wasted for these other things. My children visited for a while. I would ask them to bring me things from my list, things we would need when the time came. Rope, salt, matches, oil.

I told them they could stay with me when they needed to, but their visits grew less frequent, and then they stopped coming at all. I filled their rooms with jars of fruit, apricots and applesauce and blueberry jam.  

In the basement I have rice and beans and flour, sealed in plastic and stored in chests against the hard times coming. I have dried meat and cases of whiskey, aspirin and bandages, wire and twine. I have enough corn to last my hens a good while. I know I'll need things to trade, so I've stocks of cigarettes and wine.

In January, my pulse quickens, thinking of how soon it will be time to dig the rich black earth and cultivate my garden for a new year. In the fall I harvest seeds to plant again, heirloom plants that will sustain me forever. I nurture and feed the delicate seedlings, and in the summer the heavy, full fruits of my labor fall into my palms. Standing in my garden I eat green beans from the plant. I press the turgid skin of tomatoes, warm from sun, against my lips. I fill my basket with cucumbers and carrots.

My bedroom is where I keep my guns and boxes of ammunition. Where my lover once lay is a Winchester M70, extra bullets in the drawer of  the bedside table. I remember the last man to grace my bed, but he never brought me the comfort of a good gun. I caress the heavy, oiled wooden stock in my sleep, and I feel safe.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, and I have a picture to go with it. But I haven't taken it yet. It's a picture of my actual apocalypse list taped to my kitchen cabinet.  :lulz:

Shai Hulud

Wow, great work Nigel, I love it :mittens:  I concur with Cainad, that's just the sort of thing I was hoping to see in this issue.

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on January 18, 2010, 12:49:56 AM
Oh, and I have a picture to go with it. But I haven't taken it yet. It's a picture of my actual apocalypse list taped to my kitchen cabinet.  :lulz:

That sounds like it'd work great, just send it on over whenever you take it.

This issue's really coming together faster than I expected.  I should be ready to start layouts soon.