News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

Good DIY ideas & sites?

Started by Verbal Mike, November 16, 2008, 12:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verbal Mike

I desperately want to make my room more interesting. I'm also desperately not rich. (Not quite poor at the moment but that's just temporary)
I need good ideas for DIY projects that I can do on the cheap. Especially stuff relating to storage, which I do not have enough of in my room (thinking of installing a third desk because of my tendency to use desks to store everything in a semi-ordered kind of mess.)
Any particularly good ideas or websites with such ideas that you spags might recommend?
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If you have any salvage yards nearby (look in the phone book under "salvage" or "building salvage") old kitchen cabinets make killer cheap storage.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

theres this stuff called paint...makes rooms more interesting...

Verbal Mike

Thing is when I moved in here my walls were already painted really awesome, with this cool green pattern around half the room. I don't want to overdo it, coloring the other half. So I need to fill the room with awesome things.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Eve

This doesn't help you at all, but I recently discovered a used hotel furniture place near my house that must be a goldmine for cheap decorating.

Helpful suggestion that you've likely already thought of: check Craigslist.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Suu

Do you need curtains? Making curtains is cheap, fun, and easy.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have a horrible secret cheap curtain trick:

Go to thrift store

buy cheap pillowcases

Cut off bottom and seam side of pillowcase

Put on curtainrod

Congratulations, you made curtains!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Verbal Mike

Already took care of curtains ages ago... I have a glass door that opens onto our balcony, once I got a g/f here it became pretty unbearable not to have a curtain over it.
But my other window just has a very boring white Ikea roller blind... I think I need to coerce some artist to paint something awesome on it.

rong

i'm working on a DIY electric mousetrap.  i call it "the electrocutioner"

basically consists of a 12V battery, ignition coil, nail and steel plate. drill a hole in the plate and stick it to a board and ground it.  stick the nail into the board thru the hole so it doesn't contact the plate.  connect the coil to the nail and put some peanut butter on the head of the nail and voila!

THE ELECTROCUTIONER
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Triple Zero

are you trying to suggest Verb should redecorate his house with limping braindamaged mice?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

if you get posterboard and string you can make groov ceiling light things like this

maybe something more manly then butterflies tho...

my friend made something like this in her appt.
hers was attached directly to the ceiling tho not some weird black thing...

Payne

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 17, 2008, 11:55:57 AM
are you trying to suggest Verb should redecorate his house with limping braindamaged mice?

If he isn't, I am now.

AFK

Rats would give you greater coverage. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Payne on November 17, 2008, 02:30:01 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on November 17, 2008, 11:55:57 AM

If he isn't, I am now.

he should probably paint them various bright colours and glue partyhats to their heads, though.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.