News:

FUCK YOU! MY UNCLE SAM DIED FROM NOT USING FACTS!

Main Menu

Fruit in savoury salads

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, October 13, 2010, 10:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

is fruit in salad bad and wrong?

Orange and avocado is awesome
1 (9.1%)
Stawberries and balsamic make me cream my pants
1 (9.1%)
i'll give both a try
8 (72.7%)
eeew, thats wrong
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: December 12, 2010, 09:31:45 PM

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on October 15, 2010, 05:11:27 AM
Quote from: First City Hustle on October 14, 2010, 12:53:05 AM
basically, if the salad is composed of any sort of interesting greens (IOW, not iceberg lettuce or romaine), it needs a sweet component to balance out the light bitterness of the greens, and fruit works really well for that in addition to providing some color and texture.

For one, I like the taste of interesting greens and don't think they need balancing out.  For two, I prefer non-sweet fruits like tomatoes or bell peppers or avocado to add interest.  *shrug*

fair enough, except that:

1) all three fruits you mentioned are still sweet

and

2) unless you eat your salad without any dressing, you're still balancing out the bitter flavor of the greens one way or another. The human palate, varied as it may be among people, still tends to adhere to some very basic rules. Pairing a sweet flavor and/or a briny flavor with a bitter flavor is one of those rules.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jenne

FRUIT AND SALAD ARE A TOTAL YES.

And I've had a plummy salad like that, Khara--it was sooooo good.

Triple Zero

yellow cantaloupe, raw ham and blue cheese salad.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

East Coast Hustle

I like mine with shaved reggiano parmesan but bleu cheese sounds really good too, I'll have to try that.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Sir Squid Diddimus

oh man.
that reminds me- watermelon and prosciutto

that's like the oldest savory/fruit mix in the book

Jenne

I just put golden raisins in my wilted-spinach-and-field-greens salad with a warm balsamic, olive oil, raw sugar, fried onion and chopped mushroom dressing.  Sprinkled with asiago cheese shavings.

Jasper

FCH, do you know whose idea it was first to combine pears, candied almonds, and gorgonzola in salads?  I've been doing that for years, learned it at a bistro on Vashon.

Ever tried it with a champagne vinegar/walnut oil vinaigrette? 

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: First City Hustle on October 15, 2010, 04:28:12 PM
basically, if the salad is composed of any sort of interesting greens (IOW, not iceberg lettuce or romaine), it needs a sweet component to balance out the light bitterness of the greens, and fruit works really well for that in addition to providing some color and texture.

For one, I like the taste of interesting greens and don't think they need balancing out.  For two, I prefer non-sweet fruits like tomatoes or bell peppers or avocado to add interest.  *shrug*

and

2) unless you eat your salad without any dressing, you're still balancing out the bitter flavor of the greens one way or another. The human palate, varied as it may be among people, still tends to adhere to some very basic rules. Pairing a sweet flavor and/or a briny flavor with a bitter flavor is one of those rules.

There's sweet and then there's sweet.  And I'm a total freak and don't really like dressing.  And nooooooo cheese!  Basically I like eating like a rabbit :\
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Sir Squid Diddimus

So, you eat the food that my food eats.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on October 22, 2010, 01:54:43 AM
Quote from: First City Hustle on October 15, 2010, 04:28:12 PM

and

There's sweet and then there's sweet.  And I'm a total freak and don't really like dressing.  And nooooooo cheese!  Basically I like eating like a rabbit :\

well it's probably a good thing that we can't finish you on acorns and parmesan, because aside from that it sounds like you'd make a hell of a roast.