Legality day one netted my state $250,000 in tax revenue.

Started by Da6s, January 03, 2014, 08:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Da6s

We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Cain

It also made David Brooks spazz out and write this awful, stroke-inducing argument in illogicity:

QuoteWhat sort of individuals and behaviors do our governments want to encourage? I'd say that in healthy societies government wants to subtly tip the scale to favor temperate, prudent, self-governing citizenship. In those societies, government subtly encourages the highest pleasures, like enjoying the arts or being in nature, and discourages lesser pleasures, like being stoned.

LMNO

Da6s

I'm actually very relieved that we're 3 days in and there's been nothing disastrousso far. Oh, and don't believe anything  the media is reporting about our pricing. Lot of shops in Denver did super scammy mark up in prices. Realistic pricing is <$70 for 1/4.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

The Johnny

But at what SOCIAL COSTS uh, at what cost? Why noone think ov teh childruuuuuuuunzzzzzzz, debacle of civilization and baby jesus? you see in one week cannibal marijuanas zombies eating your pets because hallucination and dehydration with their uncontrolled primal "munchies" and breaking your windows with stones - and the wrath of god hailing fire by the DEA and FDA because drug cartels and jamaicas niggers invading and stealing with neuronal poisoning and toxins all lose memory and neurons all walking vegetables and not even enough MRI scanners to deinfuse sins from souls
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Da6s

Deepthroat Chopra

Quote from: Cain on January 03, 2014, 08:58:50 PM
It also made David Brooks spazz out and write this awful, stroke-inducing argument in illogicity:

QuoteWhat sort of individuals and behaviors do our governments want to encourage? I'd say that in healthy societies government wants to subtly tip the scale to favor temperate, prudent, self-governing citizenship. In those societies, government subtly encourages the highest pleasures, like enjoying the arts or being in nature, and discourages lesser pleasures, like being stoned.

But Brooksy, have you ever tried art or nature...ON WEED!!!
Chainsaw-Wielding Fistula Detector

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Da6s on January 03, 2014, 11:14:34 PM
I'm actually very relieved that we're 3 days in and there's been nothing disastrousso far. Oh, and don't believe anything  the media is reporting about our pricing. Lot of shops in Denver did super scammy mark up in prices. Realistic pricing is <$70 for 1/4.

It's been probably close to a decade since I actually purchased weed, but last I recall standard street for the good stuff in CO was 100 a 1/4 and 300 an oz. Factoring in inflation that means that it's a butt-ton cheaper now.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Faust

Someone, please please please tell me they are tracking cigarette sales before and after in this region. Those are some figures I'd like to see.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Junkenstein

I'd bet every tobacco company is watching the figures very closely.

Hells, who knows? Substantial rises or falls could even turn big tobacco into big marijuana. Of course if that happens something else would have to be criminalized to make up the prison shortfall. Abusive language or something would be an offhand guess seeing as how twitter prosecutions continue to ramp up nicely. Easy enough to extend that into "hearing range of police officer".
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Junkenstein on January 07, 2014, 10:51:00 PM
I'd bet every tobacco company is watching the figures very closely.

Hells, who knows? Substantial rises or falls could even turn big tobacco into big marijuana. Of course if that happens something else would have to be criminalized to make up the prison shortfall. Abusive language or something would be an offhand guess seeing as how twitter prosecutions continue to ramp up nicely. Easy enough to extend that into "hearing range of police officer".

I swear I didn't know about this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25648019

QuoteMinisters want to replace anti-social behaviour orders in England and Wales with injunctions to prevent nuisance and annoyance.

Courts could impose these on anyone engaging - or threatening to engage - in "conduct capable of causing nuisance or annoyance to any person".

QuoteMembers of the cross-party group say the new power is so wide it could be used against buskers, carol singers, street preachers and political protestors.

I bet "being annoying because you're stoned" could be included if it already hasn't been in some form.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Da6s

Da6s

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on January 07, 2014, 05:31:20 PM
Quote from: Da6s on January 03, 2014, 11:14:34 PM

It's been probably close to a decade since I actually purchased weed, but last I recall standard street for the good stuff in CO was 100 a 1/4 and 300 an oz. Factoring in inflation that means that it's a butt-ton cheaper now.

The 70 figure for 1/4th is for "A Grade". "Top shelf" still runs around 85ish for the same amount. People are still bitching because med card holders pay like 40 for 1/4. Prices have mostly stabilized though there  are still some spots preying on the tourists and the naive.

Now our biggest issue is banks. That's 5 million in cash at the 37ish? stores because fed law won't allow banks to accept pot money. That and the possible shortage, and that all edibles are too potent for retail so recipes are having to change.

Junkenstein

What? How does that even work?

Surely most stores were set up as business enterprises which require a bank/accountant/tons of other bullshit to set up and everyone tends to be pretty clear about what/where/why the revenue stream will appear.  This is basic fucking business.
If anyone can explain this to me it'd be appreciated because I can't understand this at all.