News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

Theory of Human Experience

Started by Jasper, January 31, 2010, 05:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on February 04, 2010, 02:24:02 AM
yeah, but surely you're not suggesting that we'd have developed written language without a spoken analogue to base the writings on?
Quote from: Triple Zero on February 04, 2010, 12:34:19 PM

I'd say language in general.

Even without writing, oral tradition had decent time binding ability as well. Not as much as writing, but still.

No, I was saying (poorly, because it was on a cell phone) that the idea of breath control being important is good, and the idea of language is good, but the idea of breath control being important because of language isn't so good.

LMNO

I just had a thought:

If you "could" develop a series of statements that encompassed all of the human experience, would that pass a Turing test?

hooplala

I agree that breathing is much more important to mental faculties than the average person really believes, but if we are going there so does what we eat, what we drink, how much we eat, how much we drink... and possibly what we think about? 
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Kai

This thread seems to be coming down to psychosomatics.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Kai on February 04, 2010, 09:48:32 PM
This thread seems to be coming down to psychosomatics.

What's the big deal about psychosomatics?  You seem to get excited about it a lot, and I don't understand why it's so much more interesting than everything else we don't know about the brain.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.