News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

In which VERBL needs input on his first-world problems

Started by Verbal Mike, September 24, 2012, 07:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on September 26, 2012, 04:52:33 AM
I'm laughing hysterically at the thought of a place where a month without health insurance is abnormal to the point of being uncomfortable.

Sometimes this country makes me want to puke constantly.

Fixt
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Verbal Mike

When I asked my mother on Skype last night whether I should risk three weeks without insurance she went kinda berzerk. She and my sister are convinced bad things happen especially when you're uninsured. Irrational, but getting them to calm down probably tips the scale for me anyway.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: VERBL on September 26, 2012, 07:43:46 AM
When I asked my mother on Skype last night whether I should risk three weeks without insurance she went kinda berzerk. She and my sister are convinced bad things happen especially when you're uninsured. Irrational, but getting them to calm down probably tips the scale for me anyway.

They're right.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

A good 25% or so of the US population risks going their entire lives without insurance, and nothing bad ever happens to them.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Verbal Mike

I'm all for everyone being insured no matter what they can afford, for too many reasons to even both mentioning. And I'm gonna probably just get the damn "voluntary" insurance. Just can't bring myself to believe being uninsured for a few weeks increases the probability that something will happen for which I'll need insurance.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Cain

I would be especially surprised if anything did happen.

However, you have essentially two options:

1.  Do not get insured.  This either results in a) relief at having saved money or b) something bad happening and you being screwed.

2.  Do get insured.  This either results in a) annoyance at having spent money for no good reason or b) relief at having spent it because something bad did happen.

Note that in each case a) is by far the most likely outcome, whereas b) is far less likely.  However, you have to decide which of these two sets of responses, 1 or 2, is more preferable overall.

Cain

Or 3.  Move to St Petersburg, become a dancing bear.  A) you will be a dancing bear, but b) you will be a dancing bear!

When in doubt, always pick the win-win option.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: v3x on September 26, 2012, 08:18:47 PM

A good 25% or so of the US population risks going their entire lives without insurance, and nothing bad ever happens to them.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Verbal Mike

I'm in Germany, we can't watch things here. ("Blocked by EMG on copyright grounds" in this case)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

LMNO