News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

Contradiction Revolution

Started by Placid Dingo, September 02, 2012, 02:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Placid Dingo

I'm in the process of believing two opposite things.

I believe that a meaningful cultural revolution is becoming inevitable. Not one that overthrows, or, let's face it, even really impacts politics, but a general cultural movement and shift in the model of the 60s hippy scene.
Everything is so geared to passive engagement. TV, Facebook, unlimited Data, capitalism.
Just doing in itself is becoming an act of Resistance. Non-regulation fun-times themselves are nearly an act of resistence, if not against any tangible opponent, against our stagnant culture of interacting in purely memetic (internet, TV) or preprogrammed (go to the movies, go shopping) contexts.
To break into the habits of culture building, of self directed value challenges and self exploration, is possible, and I feel is rumbling below the surface, just waiting to break open into streets, parks, homes.

I believe that a meaningful cultural revolution is becoming impossible. Especially one that overthrows, or, let's face it, even really impacts politics, but even more generally a general cultural movement and shift in the model of the 60s hippy scene.
Everything is so geared to passive engagement. TV, Facebook, unlimited Data, capitalism.
Just doing in itself is becoming an act of Resistance. Non-regulation fun-times themselves are nearly an act of resistence, if not against any tangible opponent, against our stagnant culture of interacting in purely memetic (internet, TV) or preprogrammed (go to the movies, go shopping) contexts.
To break into the habits of culture building, of self directed value challenges and self exploration, is difficult, and despite the need to experience something authentic, visceral and self directed the rumbling sense of desire for meaningful cultural change that lingers below the surface, just waiting to break open into streets, parks, homes, remains effectively distracted by flashing lights and gentle status quo corrections.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Placid Dingo

Thoughts are still developing on this topic.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Epimetheus

It seems like the two can be summed up together: such a "revolution" is inevitable, but indefinitely delayed.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Cain

"The crisis consists precisely in the fact that the old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."
- Antonio Gramsci