News:

PD.Com: Pretention in a can.

Main Menu

Define "metal".

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 20, 2012, 07:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangrove

Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath & Deep Purple all get labelled as being progenitors of 'metal' even though all three bands have resisted this definition.

Some people are of the opinion that 'metal' came into being with Judas Priest. They took all the loud, crunchy stuff from the above acts but essentially expunged all the 'blues' elements. 

[If you liked 'Headbanger's Journey', the same guy also made the series 'Metal Evolution'.]
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Eater of Clowns

HEADBANGER'S JOURNEY AND METAL EVOLUTION ARE FOR FUCKING DRIPPY DONGHOLES.  THE TRUE METAL FAN READS

LORDS OF CHAOS:  THE BLOODY RISE OF THE SATANIC METAL UNDERGROUND
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

AFK

Quote from: Mangrove on December 21, 2012, 12:20:17 AM
Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath & Deep Purple all get labelled as being progenitors of 'metal' even though all three bands have resisted this definition.

Some people are of the opinion that 'metal' came into being with Judas Priest. They took all the loud, crunchy stuff from the above acts but essentially expunged all the 'blues' elements. 

[If you liked 'Headbanger's Journey', the same guy also made the series 'Metal Evolution'.]

There's also bands like Blue Cheer and Mountain who had, perhaps a smaller hand, in getting metal going.  And in both of those documentaries you mention, some will draw it all the way back to Wagner, which I think is legitimate.  Wagner would load his compositions with a lot of heavy, low end instrumentation, which is certainly a spirit od heavy metal, and definitely is an influence on some of the symphonic strains.

And that tree left out some other genres, sich as doom metal which is heavily influenced by Sabbath.  And one of my favorites, folk metal, which has combined elements of black metal, death metal, and traditional folk music of the given geographical area.  Also Viking Metal.  Which is kind of like black metal, except instead of singing about Satan they sing about Odin. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

Oh, and I would say it was Priest AND maiden that really got the ball rolling in true metal fashion.  Without Maiden, I think metal would have evolved very differently.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 21, 2012, 02:32:37 AM
Oh, and I would say it was Priest AND maiden that really got the ball rolling in true metal fashion.  Without Maiden, I think metal would have evolved very differently.

Most definitely. But at the same time you could see them as a natural progression of the 70s. Thin Lizzy comes to mind.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

AFK

Yep, especially with their first singer.  I think Dickinson's vocal style to go along with the galloping riifs was really that last piece of the puzzle to make it, metal.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 21, 2012, 03:32:58 AM
Yep, especially with their first singer.  I think Dickinson's vocal style to go along with the galloping riifs was really that last piece of the puzzle to make it, metal.

Ah yes, the high male vocals

LMNO

Without snark, I think whoever said that metal was the blues minus the entire SOUL part was on the money.

Metal is very loud non-blues that white people play to other white people. Yes, that sounds racist, but whenever black people have tried to play metal, it just becomes really awesome rock n roll.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 21, 2012, 03:46:54 AM
Without snark, I think whoever said that metal was the blues minus the entire SOUL part was on the money.

Metal is very loud non-blues that white people play to other white people. Yes, that sounds racist, but whenever black people have tried to play metal, it just becomes really awesome rock n roll.

Not sure if I agree with that entirely.

But anyway, Metal has no soul because you have to make a pact with the devil first.

LMNO

Without judging, please name a soulful metal band.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 21, 2012, 03:49:49 AM

I was referring to black people turning it into rock, but, let me think.

Nephew Twiddleton

Avariel jumps to mind. Granted they're my friends, but it seemed pretty soulful to me.

My original point was thought that there are plenty of sonic markers that differentiate that which is definitely metal and that which is definitely rock and roll, that some bands that have a black person(s) in it are incapable of being rock and roll. Protean Collective.

Twid,
Realizing he's been almost entirely local for too long.

Nephew Twiddleton

This is also why I only had a limited amount of Metal that I was willing to listen to at work at my disposal.

AFK

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 21, 2012, 03:49:49 AM

King's X immediately comes to mind.

LMNO

Hmm. I don't know your references, and I totally said it wrong when I used the word "tried".

I'm thinking of Living Color, Bad Brains, even Kings X -- they just don't sound "metal".

In a way, I guess I consider Metal to be straightforward aggression, and--

Oh.

Oh wait.

DAMN YOU, POSITIVE STEREOTYPES WHICH STILL, AFTER ALL IS SAID AND DONE, STILL STEREOTYPES!