News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

alan watts the writer of the principia discordia???

Started by Anonymous Poster, September 26, 2009, 03:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

a casual google search reveals RAW riffing on this rumor too, in the foreward to the PD

Quote from: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/book/1.phpIn 1968, virtually nobody had heard of this wonderful book. In 1970, hundreds of people coast to coast were talking about it and asking the identity of the mysterious author, Malaclypse the Younger. Rumors swept across the continent, from New York to Los Angeles, from Seattle to St. Joe. Malaclypse was actually Alan Watts, one heard. No, said another legend -- the Principia was actually the work of the Sufi Order. A third, very intriguing myth held that Malaclypse was a pen-name for Richard M. Nixon, who had allegedly composed the Principia during a few moments of lucidity. I enjoyed each of these yarns and did my part to help spread them. I was also careful never to contradict the occasional rumors that I had actually written the whole thing myself during an acid trip.

LMNO

I'm pretty sure RAW was name-checking Watts from the beginning.  

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

If you read one of Thornley's books with Zenarchy in the title (I cannot remember which one) its pretty obvious he was heavily influenced by Alan Watts.  I'm sure his name was mentioned several times, and even when it wasn't, it was pretty clear when he was discussing him.

I'm kinda surprised all you guys think this is news though, since its there in print for everyone to read.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Bob was heavily inspired by Alan Watts... he mentions him several times in books and lectures. Alan was the guy that coined our lovely meme "The Menu is not the Meal". I think in one lecture Bob says that Alan was the guy that introduced him to Count Korby and General Semantics.  

Alan often spoke from the perception of psychology, sociology or spirituality depending on his audience. It was that liquidity of models that inspired Bob's later Model Agnosticism. I think its pretty likely that Mal and Omar were somewhat influenced as well, since Alan was pretty much THE guy for all things Zen back in the late 50's and early 60's. And of course, for those of us who like the more occult bits... Alan claimed that the early Christians practiced a particular sex act...  the same act that Crowley wrote about and RAW was enlightened by when reading the Book of Lies*.

Alan Watts was also one of the founders of the more Libertarian Hippie viewpoint which heavily influenced Thronley and RAW (either directly or indirectly).

Or its all made up bullshit and half of these people never existed.

* I never read the Alan Watts book that discussed sex practices... so I am unsure if he was supporting the argument that there was a secret Christian group doing this... or if he was claiming that there was NOT a Christian group doing it...

LMNO

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on September 30, 2009, 04:04:04 PM
Alan claimed that the early Christians practiced a particular sex act...  the same act that Crowley wrote about and RAW was enlightened by when reading the Book of Lies*.

The so-called "secrecy" of this bit always confused me... It's my understanding that, apart from a minority of sex-inhibited wackos, it's a fairly universal practice, and not something secretive, special, or even that interesting.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on September 30, 2009, 04:19:19 PM
Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on September 30, 2009, 04:04:04 PM
Alan claimed that the early Christians practiced a particular sex act...  the same act that Crowley wrote about and RAW was enlightened by when reading the Book of Lies*.

The so-called "secrecy" of this bit always confused me... It's my understanding that, apart from a minority of sex-inhibited wackos, it's a fairly universal practice, and not something secretive, special, or even that interesting.

It seems common among many societies. The debate Alan was involved in, was if it used to be known to Christians and was later hidden by the Church. From what I can tell after a quick Google, he may NOT have believed it (he seemed to think that hiding such a secret was probably highly unlikely). Overall though, I think post-Medieval Europe and America were relatively unaware of the practice until the 20th century (with the exception of sex magic practitioners) based in large part on guys like Watts, Huxley and Wilson (as well as several others in those circles).

LMNO

Bullshit.  It featured heavily in the works of deSade, and other erotic writers pre-20th century.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on September 30, 2009, 04:33:56 PM
Bullshit.  It featured heavily in the works of deSade, and other erotic writers pre-20th century.

OH! Good point! I had completely forgotten about deSade!

Bu🤠ns

I have about a gig of alan watts lectures--id be happy to share if there's an interest.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on September 30, 2009, 04:33:56 PM

So how did deSade frame it? I can't find a decent reference and I can't remember reading it...

LMNO

Just to be clear, we're talking about "The Way to Succeed," right?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on September 30, 2009, 06:54:07 PM
Just to be clear, we're talking about "The Way to Succeed," right?

Oh! No, I was talking about the Tantraish practice of the male brinking at the climax without actually climaxing. The oral sex bit was definitely pretty well known in Europe!  :lulz:

LMNO

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on September 30, 2009, 07:20:30 PM
Ah.  Hmmm.  I withdraw my criticism for now.

::lulz:

Well, it wasn't really clear...

I mean The Way To Succeed is sort of covers them both.

:lmnuendo: