News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

sense beyond senses

Started by Brotep, February 01, 2012, 05:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brotep

I often wonder what it would be like to have a dormant sense outside the usual five (and proprioception), and like to think it could be awakened with careful effort. You can't know what it will be like. You need to go about creating the necessary mental categories and relaxing the habits of your perception and thought to let it take on a reality as sharp as sight or hearing. I tie my mind in knots trying to figure out what it would be like, and then I remember that every skill ever acquired is essentially that, a new sense. A nonmusician cannot hear what a musician can, and a fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees. There are countless examples and I won't bore you with the details, but I was looking for some kind of transcendence because life is too fucking good to end.

But the meatbox will break down and the filthy, stinking television show called your life will be cancelled. We retreat into tales of pearly gates and life eternal but what's the point of heaven without a fucking body? There is nowhere to run but in this life, and the pain and the pleasure are ours alone. The dead cannot live in stories.

At least the Road Runner could escape into Wile E. Coyote's paintings. We hide in the fetid castrated nether regions of the afterlife when we are up to our necks in shit, but the shit never goes away. It's what we're really made of, after all.

Elder Iptuous

what is the connection between an additional sense and transcendence?

Jasper

Transcendence in philosophy means to go completely beyond and outside of the world.  Additional senses would take you in the opposite direction; more in touch with the world. 

Perhaps what is truly desired is just that.  To know the world more intimately.  When I was young I wanted to live forever, but as I age I realize more and more I just want to live fully.

minuspace

(appending emoticons cleared eloquent response on transcendental apperception)
(which is different from propriroception, or so they tell me))