News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm reading "Stiff" by Mary Roach. It's really, really good, like laugh out loud good. Plus, informative!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mangrove

Quote from: Nigel on June 13, 2008, 04:39:00 PM
I'm reading "Stiff" by Mary Roach. It's really, really good, like laugh out loud good. Plus, informative!

Mrs Mang' just finished reading 'Spook' by the same author. Much lulz were had.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: HOOPLA! on June 13, 2008, 04:29:36 AM
Quote from: Rabid Badger of God on June 06, 2008, 09:58:22 PMmale menstruation

wut

Up until a couple centuries ago, it was thought that not only could certain men experience monthly blood loss (through the anus or other, more unusual ways) but that it was beneficial, encouraging fertility and longevity.

:)
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Mangrove

Quote from: Rabid Badger of God on June 13, 2008, 07:42:50 PM
Quote from: HOOPLA! on June 13, 2008, 04:29:36 AM
Quote from: Rabid Badger of God on June 06, 2008, 09:58:22 PMmale menstruation

wut

Up until a couple centuries ago, it was thought that not only could certain men experience monthly blood loss (through the anus or other, more unusual ways) but that it was beneficial, encouraging fertility and longevity.

:)

Well, you do indeed learn something new every day. I was under the impression that if a man bleeds regularly from his anus, he just might be carrying around some colon cancer.

Cain

Empire by Antonio Negri and Michael Hardt (ECH recommendation).  Very interesting, might post more on this later once I've had the time to assimilate it.

Categories by Aristotle.  Getting my philosophy on.

Computer Security and Cryptography by Wiley.  Inspired by Cory Doctorow's Little Brother to make sure my computer wont be used against me (come the revolution).

u4!k

Quote from: Cain on June 13, 2008, 09:14:17 PM
Empire by Antonio Negri and Michael Hardt (ECH recommendation).  Very interesting, might post more on this later once I've had the time to assimilate it.

Categories by Aristotle.  Getting my philosophy on.

Computer Security and Cryptography by Wiley.  Inspired by Cory Doctorow's Little Brother to make sure my computer wont be used against me (come the revolution).

i just acquired some Aristotle myself. A translation of ON MAN IN THE UNIVERSE.

It has a really interesting part on metaphysics.

really cool!

The Good Reverend Roger

Aristotle was a rube.

Cicero is where it's at.

TGRR,
Knows Romans pwn Greeks.  169%.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Hume > everyone.

That said, I haven't read any Aristotle in ages, so I may as well give it a go over again.

u4!k

reading is thinking

and either way...

thinking is thinking.

(its ALL good!)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Mangrove on June 13, 2008, 06:55:10 PM
Quote from: Nigel on June 13, 2008, 04:39:00 PM

Mrs Mang' just finished reading 'Spook' by the same author. Much lulz were had.

I will have to read the rest of her books. She's great!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Micro Ice

Peace and War By: Joe Haldeman

Great book i recommend it.
Let me Go, Gravity, Whats On My Shoulder?, Little by Little I Feel a Bit Better.

rong

Quote from: u4!k on June 14, 2008, 07:04:39 PM
reading is thinking

and either way...

thinking is thinking.

(its ALL good!)

i don't think so
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Iason Ouabache

Reading "Unholy Spirits" by Gary North at the suggestion of Cain. I dove into it knowing absolutely nothing about Mr. North and his crazy beliefs.  This thing is like a massive trainwreck.  I'm only on page 26 and I've already busted 3 Irony Meters. 

His overall thesis so far seems to be: the damned-dirty hippies (especially The Beatles) are to blame for the rise of both occultism and humanism in the United States, the occultism has started to corrupt our universities and is harming science and OUR VERY WAY OF LIFE!!!, the best way to save Western Civilization is to reject occultism and go back to the old mythology of Christianity. 

I don't think that there is any way I'll be able to finish this thing because the amount of horrormirth has been overwhelming so far.  Damn you, Cain!!!   :argh!:
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Mangrove

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on June 16, 2008, 10:37:39 PM
Reading "Unholy Spirits" by Gary North at the suggestion of Cain. I dove into it knowing absolutely nothing about Mr. North and his crazy beliefs.  This thing is like a massive trainwreck.  I'm only on page 26 and I've already busted 3 Irony Meters. 

His overall thesis so far seems to be: the damned-dirty hippies (especially The Beatles) are to blame for the rise of both occultism and humanism in the United States, the occultism has started to corrupt our universities and is harming science and OUR VERY WAY OF LIFE!!!, the best way to save Western Civilization is to reject occultism and go back to the old mythology of Christianity. 

I don't think that there is any way I'll be able to finish this thing because the amount of horrormirth has been overwhelming so far.  Damn you, Cain!!!   :argh!:

This book sounds ridiculous. I think I want to read it!