News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

The evil of banality

Started by Mangrove, November 25, 2008, 09:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangrove

This is not a pre-written or properly formed rant. It's just some ideas that I'm throwing out in the vain hope that I might offer something productive...

Once upon a time, people used to be scared of witches. In fact, depending on where you are in the world, there are still plenty of people who believe in witches and live in fear of their alleged powers. Folklorist & historian, Ronald Hutton (author of 'Triumph Of The Moon') has spent a great amount of time researching the historical records with regards to the European perception of witches. The overwhelming message from both folklore and trial records is that witches were considered to be:

a) Almost exclusively female
b) Evil
c) Solitary

The notions that there were 'good' or 'white' witches is a modern construct. The idea that they worked in 'covens' stemmed from an account by R.Scott's 'The Discoverie Of Witchcraft' in the 17th century. Interestingly enough, the notion of teams of witches working in concert stuck in the public mind and shaped future perceptions in spite of the fact that the overwhelming majority of sources relating to witches demonstrate that most Europeans held witches to be evil, bitter, women working malevolent spells on their own. (Hutton distinguishes witches from 'cunningfolk' and 'charmers'. The former being largely male artisans who worked spells for money to boost their income and the latter, being one trick ponies who generally offered a very specific service for free eg: charm warts, tame horses etc.)

Cut to the present day and we find that a modern 'witch' protested against her neighbour's Halloween decorations, claiming that they were a hate crime and religiously insensitive.

Once upon a time, people believed in Vampires. They feared that the undead could sneak out of graves and walk among the living to feast upon their blood. I bet if you travelled around enough, you could still find some people who maintain that this is still true. In fact, it took until 1824 for the British government to strike out an old law from the statute books concerning the staking of vampires.

I'm fairly sure that if you examine the folklore & history of Vampires, the picture you will receive is going to be pretty dismal. Corpses, charnel houses, curses, soulessness, you get the idea. It's not for nothing that Peter Cushing made a film career that comprised mostly of killing Christopher Lee in a variety of different ways.

Cut to 2008. I find 'stop vampire hate on the net'. Whut!?

Turns out that the witches that you thought were witches are not witches but survivals of neolithic pagan religions that are entirely unsubstantiated. Turns out that Vampires are actually quite romantic. They don't just rip people's throats open anymore, they go to highschool and have awkward moments with the girls they've got the hots for. They're clean, well groomed and don't even smell a teeny bit like decaying meat.

And oddly enough, these revamped (pun!) images are increasingly accepted into popular discourse. It's ok to dress like Vlad the Impaler, just so long as everyone knows that you don't drink blood, only 'psychic energy' and that it's always with consent. Not like those other bad vampires. Not like those other bad witches.

What is the human need to flirt with a neutered form of darkness? Why let the facts get in the way of a good story?

What intrigues me is what new sub-culture will spring up? What new evil will become the object of our affections? Is there a limit or will the felons of history become redeemed with enough attention and weak justifications? It's ok to be a witch. It's even ok to be a vampire. History was wrong! We totally misread them! Is it ok to be a Grand Inquisitor? Is it ok to be in the SS? How about the Knights of the KKK? Child murderers?

In 100 years from now, in whatever store replaces Hot Topic as the wellspring of pre-packaged rebellion, will we see teens sloping around malls dressed as 'Muhajadeen'? 'No! You've got it all wrong! It's not about holy war, it's about buying this green jacket and wearing my scarf in this manner. DON'T YOU KNOW ANYTHING!?'

:jihaad:

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Manta Obscura

This is very insightful and raises some good points, Mang. I'm completely flummoxed with the whole vampire movement, as well as a lot of other movements out there. For instance, the "Neo-Norse" movement, where people apparantly worship the ancient Nordic gods/goddesses. These same people - a large portion of them at least (or so I am assuming) - fail to live lives which reflect the war-like orientation of the Nordic god-folk. There are, indeed, major discrepancies.

I imagine that similar trends will invade secular thought as well, with atheists going back to the Greek philosophers for their roots or something. Fifty years from now, there might be a sizable sub-culture urinating in the streets in emulation of Diogenes.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Mangrove

Quote from: Manta Obscura on November 25, 2008, 09:57:47 PM
This is very insightful and raises some good points, Mang. I'm completely flummoxed with the whole vampire movement, as well as a lot of other movements out there. For instance, the "Neo-Norse" movement, where people apparantly worship the ancient Nordic gods/goddesses. These same people - a large portion of them at least (or so I am assuming) - fail to live lives which reflect the war-like orientation of the Nordic god-folk. There are, indeed, major discrepancies.

I imagine that similar trends will invade secular thought as well, with atheists going back to the Greek philosophers for their roots or something. Fifty years from now, there might be a sizable sub-culture urinating in the streets in emulation of Diogenes.

The Nordic crowd, I forgot about them. Of course, not all historical depictions are true, in fact many are not. (eg: European perception of Native Americans for one of a gazllion examples). However, just about every culture has had some notion of evil magic and evil undead beasties stalking the living. They feel like odd choices for people to identify with. As words 'witch' and 'vampire' are heavily laden with baggage and it seems to me, to be more trouble than it's worth to renovate them.

I'm wondering what other figures, widely considered taboo will get a political correctness overhaul in the future. Is it possible to romantacize a medieval executioner for example?

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Mangrove on November 25, 2008, 10:05:14 PM

The Nordic crowd, I forgot about them. Of course, not all historical depictions are true, in fact many are not. (eg: European perception of Native Americans for one of a gazllion examples). However, just about every culture has had some notion of evil magic and evil undead beasties stalking the living. They feel like odd choices for people to identify with. As words 'witch' and 'vampire' are heavily laden with baggage and it seems to me, to be more trouble than it's worth to renovate them.

I'm wondering what other figures, widely considered taboo will get a political correctness overhaul in the future. Is it possible to romantacize a medieval executioner for example?

I doubt the executioner will get romanticized, simply because there's not as much mystique surrounding them. My guess would be that the following will be romanticized, at some point or another. I shall provide a snippet of the future mob mentality for each:

1) Zombies ("Zombies are totally noble, striving for their goals without distraction. It is high time people stop persecuting us for our dietary choices.")

2) Werewolves ("Dude, it's true, I'm a werewolf. I get these wolfish tendencies when there's a full moon." Me: "Like?" "Like, I want to howl, and stuff." Me:". . . ." "But it's okay, 'cuz I'm just a psychic werewolf, so I don't want to eat anyone or anything.")

3) Bigfoot ("Bigfoot represents our dignified heritage. Plus, he's definitely real. My brother knows this dude who knows this dude who took his picture.")

4) Men in Black ("The path to true knowledge is secrecy. THEY are out there.")

God, the future is gonna suck.

Jenne

It's boredom, Mang...postpostmodernistic boredom. 

All rich societies have their fetishes...vampirism, teenagers blindly joining covens, believing you're a shape-shifter and the like to me are just such fetishes.

Mangrove

:lulz:

I think Zombies are a shoe-in for the next sub-culture.

Wombie: A person who believes they are undead.

I suspect it'll go like this:

Wombie: FUCK YUO MAN! I DONT EAT LIKE THIS BECAUSE I WANT TO. I'M SICK!! THE INTERNET IS SO FACIST!!  :x

Mangrove

Oh crap, I forgot in my OP to include the 3rd most obvious one....Pirates!

Witches, vampires and pirates.

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Mangrove on November 25, 2008, 10:20:34 PM

I suspect it'll go like this:

Wombie: FUCK YUO MAN! I DONT EAT LIKE THIS BECAUSE I WANT TO. I'M SICK!! THE INTERNET IS SO FACIST!!  :x

:lulz: :cry:

I'm laughing and crying at the same time. The former because what you say is true, and the latter because what you say is true.

Doktor Loki

All the Odinists I've met have been big on getting into, and winning, a lot of fights.  They also display a sense of honor that I have yet to find in most other people.  Granted, 90% of them have been to prison (the Odinists, I mean.)  The ones I've met are about as war-like as you can get in modern society without becoming a serial murderer (which is sinful in Asatru; they consider murder and a righteous killing two entirely separate things, one being in battle, the other being in cold blood.)  I've known a number that gravitate towards the military, and the rest simply use it as a code to live the way they want.

I have to say, I've always felt that Norse Mythology is the most beatiful of any that I've studied.  Even the parts without focus on war can be very guiding to a person, I think.  If I was a pagan, I'd probably be an Odinist.
Not a Doctor?  Why, of course I'm a Doctor!  Why else would I have this scalpel?      ~Doctor Mad

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man."
- William Shakespeare

"If you hear crazy voices in your head which tell you to do something, even something evil, YOU'D BETTER FUCKING DO IT BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE GOD." - Soren Keirkegaard

Mangrove

Jenne  - it could be postpostmodern boredom. What I'm trying to figure out it how/why humans are feeling the need to reinvent & redefine these things.

Slavery:

Me? A slave owner!! Why that's fighting talk where I come from. I am an 'indentured labour supervisor'.

Pirates:

We really didn't ever hurt anyone, rape anyone or steal. We pretty much just wore bandannas, eye patches and spoke with a stupid, affected accent we cribbed from R L Stevenson.

Cramulus

:mittens:, Mang

you've very squarely hit the nail I set up in my piece "The Strange Times".

the thing about the mainstream is that all of these images and tropes have to get continually recontextualized and represented for a modern audience. And that as the mainstream fragments into hundreds of tributaries, there's so much MORE to recontextualize and reinvent for modern generations.

My girlfriend was in high school when Britney and Christina kissed on TV. Her class saw that as the first time that bisexuality was accepted in the media. I had to tell her, lord no, it gets rewritten and recontexualized and reaccepted every year. Every generation has a vampire story - when I was in high school it was Interview with the Vampire, then Blade. Now it's Twilight. They have to keep remaking these stories so they make sense in the modern theater.

gotta catch a train, more on this later

Mangrove

Quote from: Doktor Loki on November 25, 2008, 10:25:53 PM

All the Odinists I've met have been big on getting into, and winning, a lot of fights.  They also display a sense of honor that I have yet to find in most other people.  Granted, 90% of them have been to prison (the Odinists, I mean.)  The ones I've met are about as war-like as you can get in modern society without becoming a serial murderer (which is sinful in Asatru; they consider murder and a righteous killing two entirely separate things, one being in battle, the other being in cold blood.)  I've known a number that gravitate towards the military, and the rest simply use it as a code to live the way they want.

I have to say, I've always felt that Norse Mythology is the most beatiful of any that I've studied.  Even the parts without focus on war can be very guiding to a person, I think.  If I was a pagan, I'd probably be an Odinist.

I've never met any Odinists. I did know one guy who started out as a ceremonial magician with a heavy interest in John Dee and then converted to Asatru.

Mangrove

Quote from: Cramulus on November 25, 2008, 10:29:42 PM
:mittens:, Mang

you've very squarely hit the nail I set up in my piece "The Strange Times".

the thing about the mainstream is that all of these images and tropes have to get continually recontextualized and represented for a modern audience. And that as the mainstream fragments into hundreds of tributaries, there's so much MORE to recontextualize and reinvent for modern generations.

My girlfriend was in high school when Britney and Christina kissed on TV. Her class saw that as the first time that bisexuality was accepted in the media. I had to tell her, lord no, it gets rewritten and recontexualized and reaccepted every year. Every generation has a vampire story - when I was in high school it was Interview with the Vampire, then Blade. Now it's Twilight. They have to keep remaking these stories so they make sense in the modern theater.

gotta catch a train, more on this later

Thanks Cram. Will be interested in your input. A few weeks back Mrs Mang' & I finally went to a Ren Faire just to see what the hell it was about. I tried to explain the 'strange times' notion to her when we were there.

Jenne

Oh the reinvention thing to me is easy as pie.  See it as fashion, if you will.  It gets re-and-de-constructed according to the times.  What's in now was in before, just tweaked, or upped a notch here, or reconfigured there.  A la mode is another way of saying "what was your parents' but dressed up to look new."

The whole "other" thing--embracing the dark form of the otherwise natural to make it SEEM unnatural--that came about en masse after WWI in the postmodern age.  I studied it for my French major--all those cubist, dadaist, babbling artists who had seen so much carnage they didn't know how to deal with the human side of yuck.  Machines that kill and torture and maim into the millions--that was a surrealist-now-real concept that tortured and bewildered and enticed them in the 20's.

Now, I say "en masse" because the West really I don't think had seen this as a viable genre until the events of WWI had occured.  I think this notion of the "dark other" was like farts under the blanket--kept people warm at night but still done away from the public eye.  But war is so very out in the open, so the unnatural creature within was finally without (as in, out and about).  And there you have it--Mary Shelley, reincarnated.

The Dark Monk

I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~