News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

Unlimited Egypt Thread

Started by Junkenstein, September 24, 2013, 09:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

To try and keep it in one place because this isn't calming down anytime soon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24208933

QuoteA court in Egypt has banned "all activities" by the Muslim Brotherhood.

The Cairo Court for Urgent Matters said the ruling applied to the Islamist movement, its non-governmental organisation and any affiliated groups.

It also ordered the interim government to seize the Brotherhood's funds and form a panel to administer its frozen assets until any appeal had been heard.

The military authorities have launched a crackdown on the group since ousting President Mohammed Morsi on 3 July.

Dozens of senior figures, including its general guide Mohammed Badie, have been detained on suspicion of inciting violence and murder.

Hundreds of people demanding Mr Morsi's reinstatement, most of them Brotherhood members, have also been killed in clashes with security forces, who portray the crackdown as a struggle against "terrorism".

While somewhat inevitable, it's practically guaranteed to cause a lot of death in the foreseeable future.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

-

Junkenstein

That was pretty much my feeling. There's been rumblings about the potential for civil war for quite a while. If that's so, then this is a particularly inelegant way of handling the Brotherhood.

The suicide bombing campaigns in Afghanistan have been using children with increasing frequency to successful effect. I'd guess to see that trend started here fairly soon. I doubt they're going to wait for the army to hand over power and take their chances at the polls again as the "Muslim Fellowship" or somesuch. If the political process can be undermined this easily, what incentive do you really have to act according to it?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

It's that time, time for Junkies favourite song.

You all know the words by now:

HA

HAHA

AHAHAHAHAIEEEE

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25697004

QuoteEgypt's army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi will run for president if the people request it and the military supports the bid, state media quote him saying.

"If I nominate myself, there must be a popular demand, and a mandate from my army," state paper Al-Ahram quoted him as telling Egyptian officials.

The general feels he could not stand aside if there was palpable demand for him to run, an official told AFP.

Welcome to the stable and western supported Egypt of the future.

Expect bad shit soon.

The Good Reverend Roger

Oh, dear.

And the odds of him being as fabulous as Gaddafy are not good.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25924027

QuoteEgypt's former Islamist President Mohammed Morsi has arrived at a court in Cairo to go on trial over his escape from prison in 2011, state media say.

He was taken to the court by helicopter from a prison in Alexandria, Mena news agency reports.

Mr Morsi, Egypt's first freely-elected president, was deposed by the military in July 2013 after mass protests against his rule.

He is now facing four separate criminal trials on various charges.

Tight security was in evidence around the Police Academy in Cairo where the trial was due to take place.

Another 130 people are also facing charges in the trial.

Mr Morsi stands accused of organising a mass breakout from the Wadi al-Natrun prison during the 2011 uprising, as well as the murder of prison officers.

He is due to appear in a glass box during the trial and according to reports will only be permitted to speak after raising his hand.

When he first appeared in court in November, he refused to recognise the court's legitimacy or put on the required prison uniform.

Not even taking bets on how this is going to end.

Cain

I'm suspicious of this new group of Al-Qaeda linked militants, supposedly emanating from the Sinai Peninsula.  They're exceptionally sophisticated, shooting down helicoptors, assassinating police officials and car bombings in Cairo.

The military is trying their damndest to link them to the Muslim Brotherhood, which is not borne out by the evidence.  Given their level of sophistication, it seems interesting that they are engaging Egyptian police and not the army, nor are they attempting to attack prominent regime-linked officials outside of the police force.

It's nothing but a suspicion right now, but I would not be surprised to find out that they were perhaps being given "assistance" by the military.  It undermines the Muslim Brotherhood to be linked to Al-Qaeda espousing foreign fighters, after all.

Junkenstein

There's this today:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-26214732

Quoteawyers for deposed Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi have walked out of his trial on charges of espionage and conspiring to commit acts of terror.

The trial has now been adjourned until 23 February.

The lawyers withdrew in protest at Mr Morsi and other defendants being confined in a soundproofed glass cage.

The Islamist former leader is facing four separate trials, three of which have now opened.

Mr Morsi was brought to Cairo's police academy on Sunday morning by helicopter from the Burj al-Arab prison where he is being held.

In this trial, he and 35 others are accused of working with Lebanese and Palestinian groups to carry out attacks in Egypt.

I'm getting more certain that the end of this tale involves a noose.