Nothing gets wasted around here

Main Menu

fuck you utah legislature

Started by -Kel-, March 10, 2010, 04:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Kel-

Quote from: Z³ on March 13, 2010, 12:11:57 PM
Quote from: -Kel- on March 12, 2010, 10:57:55 PM

every state has its charms (cept. Nebraska  :lol:) and it's downfalls.

Nebraska is dirt fucking cheap, and the economy here is pretty good atm.
Its a boring, but somewhat reliable, state. Its charm is in its mediocrity.

But I really only speak for Omaha and Lincoln, the rest of this state is a vast wasteland of corn.
I'd rather live here than any other midwestern state, although I might be willing to give Colorado another shot.

I'd take CO. as well, thought about going back to Chicago, but it's just too damn cold.

Cain

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 13, 2010, 09:09:02 AM
You're talking about one of the largest and wealthiest corporations on earth, and that's where their social and political power comes from, not whether or not their hillbilly state is full of more or less hillbillies than it was 10 years ago.

Probably the most interesting point to have come out of this thread.  The Mormons are rapidly expanding in Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Chile, the Phillipines, Japan, Nigeria, Germany, Portugal, the UK, American Samoa, the Cook Islands and Tonga.  In the South Pacific in particular, Mormons have a plurality in several states, and that will likely become a majority before global warming sinks those islands.

While Utah will always remain a spiritual (and likely logistical) centre, they are not without options, and there are many small states with lax banking and taxation policies that would likely welcome such a wealthy religion, should they ever feel the need to remove themselves.

And thats not even going into the business investments, land purchases and companies that are associated with the LDS.

Quote from: -Kel- on March 13, 2010, 06:44:20 PM

But I really only speak for Omaha and Lincoln, the rest of this state is a vast wasteland of corn.
I'd rather live here than any other midwestern state, although I might be willing to give Colorado another shot.

oh shit, im sorry. hehehe. totally pulled an arbitrary state for the joke.

Dont worry, when I arbitrarily pick out US states to shit on, Utah is usually pretty close to the top of the list.

-Kel-

Quote from: Z³ on March 13, 2010, 08:27:57 PM
Quote from: -Kel- on March 13, 2010, 06:44:20 PM

oh shit, im sorry. hehehe. totally pulled an arbitrary state for the joke.

Dont worry, when I arbitrarily pick out US states to shit on, Utah is usually pretty close to the top of the list.

heh, most do...it's all good.

"What do ya wanna do, Carmela? You wanna move to Utah? Be Mr. and Mrs. Mike Smith? We... we can sell some Indian relics by the road. Maybe start a rattlesnake ranch.
Carmela Soprano: This is our chance to get out Tony. We could start a whole new life.
Tony Soprano: Have some Mormons over the dinner. Eat some tomatoes that have no taste."

cavehamster

Quote from: Cain on March 13, 2010, 07:30:23 PM
You're talking about one of the largest and wealthiest corporations on earth, and that's where their social and political power comes from, not whether or not their hillbilly state is full of more or less hillbillies than it was 10 years ago.

Probably the most interesting point to have come out of this thread.  The Mormons are rapidly expanding in Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Chile, the Phillipines, Japan, Nigeria, Germany, Portugal, the UK, American Samoa, the Cook Islands and Tonga.  In the South Pacific in particular, Mormons have a plurality in several states, and that will likely become a majority before global warming sinks those islands.

While Utah will always remain a spiritual (and likely logistical) centre, they are not without options, and there are many small states with lax banking and taxation policies that would likely welcome such a wealthy religion, should they ever feel the need to remove themselves.

And thats not even going into the business investments, land purchases and companies that are associated with the LDS.

Plus, they require members to send in 10% of their earnings, which the member can then deduct from his taxes.  And the church itself doesn't have to pay taxes, at least for religious purposes (sub-corporations still have to pay taxes).  It's quite the sweet setup for any religion, but I think Mormons have really capitalized on this.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 13, 2010, 06:21:42 AM
Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 13, 2010, 04:12:58 AM
Quote from: cavehamster on March 13, 2010, 03:46:16 AM
Fine, but attacking the rant seems like a lot better thing to do than blindly attacking the person, just because.

Perhaps I am a moron that deserves to be personally attacked, though, and can't see this.  Whatever.

You are posting in OR KILL ME

I am posting an opinion, OR KILL ME

Maybe you are missing the KILL ME part.

Funny thing:  It's been 8 years, and almost nobody gets "Or Kill Me".  When I realized that, I decided to kill the TGRR account.  It's impossible to accomplish anything as a Holy Man, anymore.  Now I just want to, you know, destroy civilization.

I actually have no idea if I've interpreted it correctly... I've always read it as being along the lines of New Hampshire's "Give Me Freedom or Give Me Death" slogan, only with more foaming at the mouth. The man prostrate upon the stone, exhausted after his rant, shaking his fist at the heaven and cursing his God; "AM I WRONG, GOD? DID I CALL THAT RIGHT YOU MOTHERFUCKER? IF I'M WRONG ABOUT ALL THIS, THEN FUCKING SMITE ME YOU ASSHAT" and then challenging the screaming mob at his feet to finish the job if his God won't.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 13, 2010, 10:37:05 PM
Fine, but attacking the rant seems like a lot better thing to do than blindly attacking the person, just because.

Perhaps I am a moron that deserves to be personally attacked, though, and can't see this.  Whatever.

Funny thing:  It's been 8 years, and almost nobody gets "Or Kill Me".  When I realized that, I decided to kill the TGRR account.  It's impossible to accomplish anything as a Holy Man, anymore.  Now I just want to, you know, destroy civilization.

I actually have no idea if I've interpreted it correctly... I've always read it as being along the lines of New Hampshire's "Give Me Freedom or Give Me Death" slogan, only with more foaming at the mouth. The man prostrate upon the stone, exhausted after his rant, shaking his fist at the heaven and cursing his God; "AM I WRONG, GOD? DID I CALL THAT RIGHT YOU MOTHERFUCKER? IF I'M WRONG ABOUT ALL THIS, THEN FUCKING SMITE ME YOU ASSHAT" and then challenging the screaming mob at his feet to finish the job if his God won't.

Agree.  I never outwardly demonstrated the way I understood OKM because I didn't want to do other people's thinking.

Doktor Howl

Perhaps I am a moron that deserves to be personally attacked, though, and can't see this.  Whatever.

Funny thing:  It's been 8 years, and almost nobody gets "Or Kill Me".  When I realized that, I decided to kill the TGRR account.  It's impossible to accomplish anything as a Holy Man, anymore.  Now I just want to, you know, destroy civilization.

Yes, this is precisely correct.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 14, 2010, 05:27:02 PM

Yes, this is precisely correct.

:)
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Quote from: cavehamster on March 13, 2010, 09:31:25 PM

Plus, they require members to send in 10% of their earnings, which the member can then deduct from his taxes.  And the church itself doesn't have to pay taxes, at least for religious purposes (sub-corporations still have to pay taxes).  It's quite the sweet setup for any religion, but I think Mormons have really capitalized on this.

Yeah, the Mormon work ethic is legendary.  Not to mention there are lots of Mormons in the FBI, and the military (esp intelligence).  All in all, they have quite the set-up.

-Kel-

Quote from: Cain on March 14, 2010, 06:22:25 PM
Quote from: cavehamster on March 13, 2010, 09:31:25 PM

Yeah, the Mormon work ethic is legendary.  Not to mention there are lots of Mormons in the FBI, and the military (esp intelligence).  All in all, they have quite the set-up.

they're coming to get you nexT!